[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What microphone should i buy to record my guitar amp? I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: shure-sm7b-13140.jpg (223 KB, 1283x1486) Image search: [Google]
shure-sm7b-13140.jpg
223 KB, 1283x1486
What microphone should i buy to record my guitar amp? I've been looking at this one, but i'm not sure
>>
just get an SM57
>>
75MS na teg tsuj
>>
>>66109971
why
>>
>>66109955

This is the classic and cheap option, but I haven't gotten great results from my amp with one. I need to experiment more with placement and amp settings, but I tend to get a signal that's too boomy as well as harsh and fizzy.
>>
>>66110123
sorry i'm drunk and thought it would be funny but I know realise it is not
>>
>>66110294
I NOW* realise
sorry again
>>
>>66110294
It gave me a giggle
>>
>>66110382
I'm sorry
>>
Sennheiser E906
Shure SM57
AKG C414
>>
>>66110243
I like deep, mellow sounds and my SM57s get me there easily. I put them at the edge of the cone, close to the grill and pointing towards the middle of the cone. You have to experiment a little, but once you get it right just put a little piece of tape on the grill cloth so you have a reference point next time.
>>
>>66112193

Yeah, I haven't actually tried anything beyond pointing it in the centre of the cone and practically touching the grill. I took some audio classes recently and my professor (who's been an audio engineer since the '80s) told me that mic position/angle doesn't matter very much when amping a guitar. I've seen a lot of people say quite different things though but I have yet to take it into my own hands with thorough experimentation.
>>
>>66112291
Luckily for you, your professor is wrong. You can get great sounds from an amp with an SM57. It's kind of an industry standard for that. As far as I know, pointing it directly at the center of the cone will make any mic sound bad.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.