[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
We can all agree that San Diego is the best song right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6
We can all agree that San Diego is the best song right?
>>
Thought Los Angeles was better, but the whole album is huge disappointment.
>>
No, Ars Moriendi is
>>
>>66078125
How so?
>>
>>66078125
Ya, I'm trying to make myself like it, but it just seems really forgettable. Maybe I'm just burned out on Mark's voice, but I find all his stuff sounds kind of generic. The parts where Skiba sings are a lot more interesting to me.

I'm starting to think Tom was the real driving force behind Blink's signature sound. Tom can't sing or play well live, but I think he's actually a better musician (composer?) than Mark.

He released this last year and it's basically the most Blink-182 sounding thing I've heard in the past decade:

https://youtu.be/iXgekxWUZ8g
>>
>>66078200
Drums were decent as always, but the new singer is so boring and generic. Album is just crazy boring. Also, what the fuck was with that pool song?
>>
>>66078248
The pool song was their attempt at showing that they were still classic "Blink-182."

Meanwhile Tom showed them how to actually do it >>66078230
>>
>>66078248
As a whole, yea you're right. But I still really like some songs. But sure, they aren't what they use to be and the album really lacks the humor.
>>
>>66078283
>>66078230
release this with Mark singing and it would sound as dull as the album. The one it was clearly meant for.
>>
She's out of her mind is my favorite track. Feels like they are reaching their full potential with skiba on that one.

All in all this record is far better than Neighborhoods. Good riddance to Tom
>>
>>66078344
>better than Neighborhoods
try again
>>
Super cringey. Sounds like All Time Low or 5SOS songs sung by 40 year olds. They're now influenced by the shitty bands they influenced over the last 2 decades. Worst choruses of any album. Los Angeles sounds like a collaboration of P.O.D. and Fall Out Boy made for an NBA halftime performance. Who cares about Tom, I expected more out of Skiba.
>>
>>66078941
hello contrarian
>>
Cynical fucking rules, and the rest of the album is worth nobody's time
>>
>>66078230
intro to this one is better than any guitar part on California.
Tom was simply the main creative force in blink and is much better songwriter than skiba.

On first few listens, california sucks. Too corny, bad hooks and guitar sucks. maybe it will grow
>>
>>66079636
>Super cringey. Sounds like All Time Low or 5SOS songs sung by 40 year olds. They're now influenced by the shitty bands they influenced over the last 2 decades. Worst choruses of any album. Los Angeles sounds like a collaboration of P.O.D. and Fall Out Boy made for an NBA halftime performance.

top kek @ this post, it's 100% true

Yeah, this album sucks. Tom is the main force of Blink-182 plus he is the defining voice.

Whenever he WANTS to make Blink-182 music, it's great. Neighborhoods is a great album, this album mad me realize that even more. I mean fuck, hat riff on Ghost on the Dance Floor, the chorus on Snake Charmer, the hook on Wishing Well (the list goes on...) they all fucking BTFO anything on this album.

Also, who gives a fuck if his voice isn't the same live anymore? It's still distinctively his and I rather hear a 40% voice Tom DeLonge than Mike Skiba who is fucking shit
>>
File: Blink-182_-_Blink-182_cover.jpg (47 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Blink-182_-_Blink-182_cover.jpg
47 KB, 300x300
>didn't like this album at all when i was 13, because their sound changed too much and they started dressing like trendy "emo" fad and even the album cover sucked
>listen to again at 25
>love it

i guess this is growing up
>>
File: 1418133400141.jpg (20 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
1418133400141.jpg
20 KB, 306x306
>built that pool is a joke song because its so short
>skiba has to add at the end "...is that really it? XDDDD GET IT, ITS SO SHORT"

way to explain the obvious joke and thus ruining it
>>
Did you guys know Angels & Airwaves actually has a good song? A recent one at that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cA1bX3xBLM
>>
>>66080839
Skiba's voice was perfect for alkaline trio's songs about alcoholism and self-mutilation. Poppy nonsense and songs about hopping fences don't fit him at all and sound jarring, doubled by the fact that the producer smoothed out his haunting growl into a sterile mark clone that doesn't complicated.ent him at all. I agree Tom can be great when he feels like it, but the truth is he doesn't. He was wasted and acted like an asshole the last two times I saw them and I blame him entirely for the split.

I still think mark is the better songwriter of the two though as evidenced by their early work, the truth is they're just getting old and even take off your pants would have sounded bland with this much production slapped on it.
>>
>>66078283

Tom could put out a fucking amazing Enema/Take Off Your Pants style Blink album with the boys if he wanted to

Alas, we're stuck with Mark trying and it sucks
>>
>>66080978
>>I still think mark is the better songwriter of the two though as evidenced by their early work,

I now 100% don't believe that to be the case

This album has made me dislike Mark's music more in retrospect, quite the feat.

Nothing against the guy himself (I love his passion for the band), but I now see clearly Tom IS Blink-182.
>>
dude ranch > enema > blink 182 > chesire cat > neighbourhoods > take off your pants > california

first 3 are all GOAT
>>
>>66081103

I'm not a big fan of Cheshire Cat t b h, sounds like a band that hadn't found their sound yet, just a lot of silly songs (Touchdown Boy, Does My Breath Smell, etc.)
>>
File: 1439993027116.jpg (23 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1439993027116.jpg
23 KB, 300x300
>>66080695
>Tom
>Better songwriter than Skiba
>>
>>66081236
yep, i just realized bored to death and san diego literally have same guitar intro, and it isn't even a good melody, it sucks.
>>
Really really good album.

It's better than TOYPAJ and Neighborhoods easily.
>>
>>66081274
Have you even listened to pre-Agony & Irony Alkaline Trio?
>>
>>66081072
Dude, "going away to college" and "the party song" are so much better than Fucking "aliens exist" and "the anthem" it's not even funny. Same with take off your pants, the worst songs are always Tom's. "story of a lonely guy" is the cringiest thing they've ever put out.

I agree Tom outshines him somewhat on neighborhoods, but it makes sense that mark got old and burnt out faster than Tom because he actually gives his all at live shows unlike Tom who stumbled offstage halfway through their last Chicago show to piss for 2 minutes.

I don't think the band composition was even the problem on California, I wholeheartedly blame the producer.
>>
>>66080978
>even take off your pants would have sounded bland with this much production slapped on it.

it DOES ALREADY SOUND THAT BAD. Take off the nostalgia goggles that album is one derivation ahead of a total stinker, marks a low spot for the band.
>>
>>66080915
thats not skiba thats travis. Travis prepared 3 mins of drumming and it got cut to just that lol.
>>
>>66081350
>Dude, "going away to college" and "the party song" are so much better than Fucking "aliens exist" and "the anthem" it's not even funny

You are one messed up guy.

Also, the best part of "The Party Song" is Tom's DANUHNUHDANUHNUHHNUHH (not being cheeky either, I fucking love that)

"Aliens Exist" and "Mutt" are the most Blinky-Blink-182 songs ever, how dare you.

>I don't think the band composition was even the problem on California, I wholeheartedly blame the producer.

No, these songs suck, regardless of the producer.

"Sober" is fucking embarrassing. That's a Miley Cyrus/Icona Pop song with guitars/drums
>>
>>66081369
Well yea I don't like take off your pants. I'm saying that the only thing that really makes it any better than California is the lack of plastic coating. California could never be great, but it could be on par with their other worst album with a different producer.

I do like "online songs" quite a bit though.
>>
Did u guys know Tom was fucked Mark's sister and that's how they met in the first place?

This is Mark's reverse-cuck revenge album, kicked him out of his own band!
>>
Is Travis Barker actually an amazing drummer or is he just a meme

Serious question
>>
>>66081542
The song San Diego is about Tom not being in the band anymore. Mark didn't even want to make it, he is still quite upset about it and wishes Tom was still making music with them. I wouldn't say revenge at all.
>>
>>66081559
He plays a lot of styles from latin to jazz to pop to punk to hip hop, etc. Whether or not he actually excels to an amazing height in a given genre I am not qualified to say but he is certainly a qualified musician.

He is a bit of meme from his popularity though.
>>
>>66081559
Yeah he's good. He'd fit in better with a hardcore punk band imo

Also is this even worth listening to desu
>>
>>66081622
>Also is this even worth listening to desu

If blink-182 mixed with +44 and Alkaline Trio sounds appealing to you than yes. If you are looking for space shit with synths and layered guitars and effects pedals then no, not at all.
>>
>>66081559
Apparently he's savant-like consistent and did every song on the new album in one take. Lots of energy live. I think he's become a bit of a parody of his own style and it sounds too busy or something. But on the older stuff I think he really carried the band. I don't know how he managed to be so flashy without being an obnoxious distraction.
>>
>>66081559

Scaruffi thinks he's one of the best rock drummers of all-times

http://www.scaruffi.com/music/drums.html
>>
>>66081571
Source?
>>
>>66081784
http://www.fuse.tv/2016/06/blink-182-california-producer-john-feldmann-track-by-track
>>
The bridges in this album are fucking outstanding, some are better than the main chorus/verses. It's like the opposite of a hardcore band, yo man that bridgedown was so tight!
>>
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 473x324) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 473x324
>>66081827
Reading the lyrics with this in mind is really sad
>>
AV club's review is pretty spot on and I see almost identical opinions itt. They gave it a C-
>>
>>66078076
No Future, The Only Thing That Matters, Cynical
>>
>>66081274
Blame Feldman
>>66081331
But A&I had great songwriting
>>
>>66081969
AV club's review is stupid. They read the album credits and then try to act like Feldman had a way bigger part in the album because the average person doesnt know that and they think it makes them look smart.

Actually listen to the past works of all 3 of the musicians and you will see there influence all over this album. Yes the producer has a role to play but fucking AV makes it sound like they are a boy band now or some shit, idiots.
>>
File: 1429095182006.jpg (56 KB, 550x366) Image search: [Google]
1429095182006.jpg
56 KB, 550x366
>>66080892
self titled is their magnum opus t.b.h.
>mfw watching their video blogs of the recording process back in the day.
>>
>>66082136
Self titled is good but I wouldn't call it their magnum opus. I would agree that its Tom's peak though.
>>
California songs + replace matt by Tom + better producer = enjoyable music

But thats not gonna happen.
Tom's gone and he prob won't return any time soon.

Matt is the best replacement they could get
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.