[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So does anyone here actual make any money off their music? i
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 277x182) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8 KB, 277x182
So does anyone here actual make any money off their music?

i went and got a bachelors in music production / theory and i cant seem to make any money, and seeing young teen dj's make millions is breaking my heart

how should i kill myself
>>
try to make music for commercials and shit

dude from Helios and Goldmund makes music for facebook, apple, google and stuff to make a living.
>>
I earned a drink ticket from a live performance. Got some red wine with that shit.
>>
Every couple of months I'll get a few emails telling me that someone bought one of my albums off of bandcamp. On average I probably make $7 a month off my music lol.
>>
>>66054796
Do commercials n shit and become a trap producer or jump on a new trend and become big.
>>
>>66054796
>i went and got a bachelors in music production / theory and i cant seem to make any money

I hope you didn't expect anything different
>>
you have to be actually good at music

im a 19yo NEET but i make a couple hundred off of most major releases and i never perform anywhere

dj's are hacks just live with it
>>
well idk who conned you into getting a degree in music production
Anyway first of all college should have been an opportunity for you to network with other people.to make connections

Work on getting a good agent/publicist to promote you
>>
Have you tried advertising yourself? Marilyn Manson when started with spooky kids or whatever was filling the whole town with posters of him or albums and other stuff all night.
>>
>>66054796
Been living from making music the past 6 years.

Don't worry about the teens making loads of money, they're not making decent music.

If you got into music to get rich ur dumb - it's not too difficult to earn a living but only the most famous artists make loads of money, particularly because all u cunts download everything for free now.
>>
>>66055260
Those types of marketing campaigns don't work anymore. We had a band here in Maryland called REBEL INC. that put their fucking stickers on EVERYTHING. It was stupid and annoying. They have almost 20k FB followers though, so I guess it somewhat worked.

To OP - you gotta network with people in your area's music scene. You need to make friends with bands. It is fucking hard and depending where you live it could be next to impossible. You have to go at it as a second life. Get a full time job in something to sustain yourself while your second life is focused totally on music.

There is just too much music out there. Even top tier indie bands really don't make much on their tours or merch. Brand New, an insanely popular band, is only worth a little over a million even though they sell out shows all over the place.
>>
>>66055599
>REBEL INC.
What a fucking god awful band name.
>>
>>66055635
They are a Rage Against the Machine rip off band. They made news a few years ago when their entire trailer was stolen right off a main street in Baltimore. Made so many enemies with their sticker campaign.
>>
File: 1467280292386.png (8 KB, 253x200) Image search: [Google]
1467280292386.png
8 KB, 253x200
>>66054796
exit bag, sail away my friend
>>
>>66055488
Someone actually makes a living from music and posts, gets ignored.

Well played 4chan.
>>
>>66054796
I've only had 2 people buy my music, but then again I've never played live and I don't do much promotion for my music at all.

Every time I've showed my music to other people, they say it's good and that they love it and blah blah, but they're not willing to shell out dough for it.

I think a large deal of it has to do with marketing and image. You can get people to buy mediocre music if you put forward your image the right way and wrap yourself up in pretentious pseudo-intellectualism.

But most important is playing live and being involved with a local scene.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.