[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /mu/ think of Run the Jewels? Modern classic or typical
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: RunTheJews.jpg (69 KB, 465x465) Image search: [Google]
RunTheJews.jpg
69 KB, 465x465
What does /mu/ think of Run the Jewels? Modern classic or typical hacks?
>>
>>66042581
Everyone on here jumps on the hate bandwagon, because they are insecure about their own fucking opinions.
>>
>>66042609
to be honest, I don't know what to think of them as a whole. My only solidified opinion is that the title track is pretty badass, and has a Gorillaz vibe to it
>>
>>66042581
El-P is good producer but weird.
Killer Mike is fucking great

honestly I listen to them because its essentially Mike with the producer that elevates Mikes style, with alright verses from the producer.
>>
>>66042581
beats sound samey, it's rap for white people like g-eazy but they are more serious about it
>>
>>66042687
Am I the only one who thinks El-P is a better rapper than KM?
>>
>>66042581
It's not dogshit so I listen to it sometimes
>>
>>66042609
>they're just pretending to dislike it!
Yeah, totally man.
>>66042734
>it's rap for white people like g-eazy but they are more serious about it
Could not put it any better myself. RTJ is all style no substance, and the style isn't even all that great.
>>
>>66043175
I used to think this but the more I listen to it his verses are just kind of eh whereas Killer Mike's only get better
>>
>>66042581
Enjoyable, but basically the rap equivalent of classic rock.
>>
It's not particularly deep, but amazingly fun and makes me feel like a badass. Killer Mike destroys and the instrumentals are great. Close Your Eyes is a genuinely amazing song and a massive statement that I think will be remembered as revolutionary.
>>
I like El-P and Mike individually, so I think it's great.
>>
>>66043787

How can it be revolutionary when no one even remembers what it's about?
>>
>>66043978
>what is Radiohead?
>>
>>66043600
Explain? How is RTJ anything like classic rock?
>>
>>66042581
They're alright, I remember really liking their first album and not so much liking their second album.

Also: didn't Killer Mike says something like "kill all cops, there might be good ones but heaven will sort them out" on RTJ2?
>>
run da joos
>>
It's fun
>>
>>66046603
Yeah he says something like that, pretty sure it's taking a shot at that kinda logic from somewhere else
>>
2>1
>>
embarrassing in contrast to what they released as solo artists right up until and early into this decade
>>
>>66042581
I love them. Killer mike has a cool voice. Cooley lyrics and flow too. Just rides well
>>
File: 1466085000933.gif (4 MB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1466085000933.gif
4 MB, 400x300
>>66042581
Both albums are great IMO. Lyrically they are comically violent, and the beats are heavy and energetic. Saw them live in Houston, the pair of shoes I wore are still fucking ruined. Amazing concert.
>>
>Modern classic or typical hacks?

How about just a good hip-hop duo you fucking faggot.

Not everything needs to be on the extreme ends of the spectrum.
>>
more like Reddit; the Group
>>
Good shit. Fuck the haters, especially the "hip hop for white people" shit. That shit is so fucking ridiculous. It's a hip hop album made by a couple of guys who think that doing things slightly outside of normal is pretty cool. Fuck BET and the like telling us what black people should listen to, and what defines "black culture" it's just as bad as something like Pitchfork telling hipsters what they should listen to. Hey, maybe they should listen to what they like? Fuck me.
>>
File: 124354647786785.jpg (84 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
124354647786785.jpg
84 KB, 300x300
>>66043175
he used to be
>>
>>66049737
I agree with this, actually. the whole "it's hip hop for white people" thing ignores the fact that RTJ is just a couple of really cool dudes doing a great job of making music that they're passionate about.
>>
Predictions for RTJ3?

>US flag background
>wolf hands
>Kendrick verse
>>
I'll admit that a lot of the reddit fanbase is embarrassing as fuck but that just makes me happy that these guys are at that level of success.

I don't see how you can argue El-P isn't top 5 producers in the game
>>
>>66050202
For real. You think I give a fuck what anyone thinks about the music I like? I like what I like, and I like people who make good music, and even more important I like people who make the music that they like. Fuck labels, fuck the critics, fuck /mu and fuck you too.
>>
>>66050274
El-p's beats are fantastic, ISWYD sounds amazing
>>
File: 1439169108505.jpg (11 KB, 425x329) Image search: [Google]
1439169108505.jpg
11 KB, 425x329
>>66043175
>>66043567

El-P's like a lighter, more paranoid version of most of Company Flow (e.g. Aesop Rock). KM's also got the vocal delivery that can punch pretty hard, so that works with the El-P production.

/mu/'s just living up to the 4chan M.O. that "everything you love I must hate" - especially if other sites like reddit adore it, and even if one could justify it (e.g. the #7529th time we've seen this fucking thread, like with every Grimes, CC, Tyler, AotS, whatever thread that came before).

And I want to see what they do with RTJ3. I don't think it will live up to my hype, though.
>>
File: burnanimg.gif (346 KB, 341x350) Image search: [Google]
burnanimg.gif
346 KB, 341x350
>>66050372

*Not Company Flow, I guess it's Rhymesayers now or whatever label AR's on.
>>
>>66050242

Hopefully no verse features.

It really kills the flow of the albums. You're locked in this world of El-P beats + bars and Killer Mike bars and anytime another voice comes in it really kills it. Big Boi is GOAT but his verse on RTJ1 is jarring as fuck. El-P using the Rage MC for the hook on RTJ2 is brilliant but his later verse is the low point of the album. The only verse feature in all of RTJ I like is the Gangsta Book one because it's treated kind of like a punchline after the buildup of the song so her having an outsider voice is used to the song's advantage in a conceptual way.

I have to admit a Kendrick feature would be amazing just for the novelty of it. Maybe a bonus track like the Despot one on RTJ2.
>>
>>66050406
Yeah Aes is on Rhymesayers
>>
>>66043175
Yeah, he's pretty cringey compared to Mike.
Doesn't help that he dresses like a Keebler elf.
>>
>>66042581
They call me Meme Mang. How do ya do :^)
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.