[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /mu/, I am currently a novice in music theory and am trying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: sonata.jpg (9 KB, 600x278) Image search: [Google]
sonata.jpg
9 KB, 600x278
Hey /mu/, I am currently a novice in music theory and am trying to better understand its history for the sake of a deeper appreciation.

I am trying to figure out exactly what constitutes a Sonata (not Sonata form) in Classical terminology (not romantic nor baroque).
From what I've gathered, it is a term applied to a multimovement work consisting of an instrumentalist or two, but never more than that.
Its movement structure usually follows an order of 4 movements, starting with sonata form.

My question is, how vital is the movement structure to the integrity of a sonata? As evident by Beethoven's huge adjustments to the structure, as well as the structural standard of a sonata in the early Classical period, the genre itself seems vague.
Just how much change can you make to the structure until it is no longer a Sonata? If i remove Sonata form, can it still be considered a Sonata?
>>
>>66036537
bump
>>
>>66036537
Musicologists still debate how to define a sonata. It's never been settled and it probably never will. That said if you have the basic structure of exposition, development, and recapitulation, it probably counts.
>>
>>66036537
>how vital is movement structure
Not very. Everyone fucked with the structure at least once or twice because there never really was a standardized structure.
Beethoven have wrote several 2 movement piano sonatas. Op. 111 and both Op. 49 ones cometo mind but I know there's another.
Mozart wrote a sonata that opens with theme and variation and doesn't have a sonata form. The one with Rondo alla turka
>>
File: a3423378495_10.jpg (372 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
a3423378495_10.jpg
372 KB, 1200x1200
>>66037347
>>66037582
Thanks. This really helps
>>
>>66037844
No problem. As a note of interest, the Genesis progressive rock song Supper's Ready is arguably in sonata form.
>>
>>66036537
Classical sonatas have up to 4 movements,

1. a fairly sophisticated opening movement, with A-B-A' form.
2. Slow movement, something cantabile or grave
3. Scherzo or minuet - somthing simple, lighthearted or dancy
4. a fast and furious final movement, either in A-B-A' or as a Rondo A – B – A – C – A – D – A, with a recurring A-part (also called a ritornello}
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.