[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
JAZZ PUNK
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
Could Jazz Punk be the next big underground thing?

Here's my thinking:
* dumb, spiky, thuggish punk purism is dead
* the punk scene seems split between midwest eom-influenced pop punk and noisy post-hardcore
* jazz-influenced punk subgenres are popping up in the indie world and succeeding, like math rock (Big Ups) and no wave (Iceage, EMA)
* passionless, noodling jazz has damaged jazz's reputation, calling for a reemergence of passionate post-bop-style music to inject the jazz scene with new life
* both jazz and punk are centered in the same New England cities right now (Boston, NYC, Philly)
* punk jazz is cool, yet extremely underground (limited to cult figures like John Zorn, James Chance, and Laughing Clowns), so it feels fresh
* punk-blues has even had some mainstream success through people like The White Stripes, Benjamin Booker, and Algiers
>>
Jazz Punk already happened, and it's called Rock 'n' Roll.
>>
>>66034853
What a dumb comment. Well, thanks for the bump anyway, Bud
>>
Midori?

I think Jazz Punk has been a thing for a while now
>>
Hmmmm I would argue that the White Stripes aren't really jazz punk and more punk blues, but what the fuck do I ficking k ow anyways. But yeah jazz punk huh? Sounds interesting. Other than the ones listed, what are some other jazz punk bands? No wave is kind of jazz punk right?
>>
>>66034905
i think what OP meant was that it would see a resurgance, not that it would be created as a genre, because it definitely already exists as a genre.

>>66035098
that's why he said they're more punk blues than jazz punk, read again.
>>
jazz punk is already here
>>
>>66035185
exactly, thank you

>>66035098
definitely try Laughing Clowns, Arto Lindsay had a jazz punk group called The Lounge Lizards. There are a number of bands that had some jazz instrumentation, like a sax (X-Ray Spex, The Nation of Ulysses), and others that used jazz dynamics even if they weren't jazz per se (NoMeansNo, Red Medicine-era Fugazi)
>>
File: jazzpunk.jpg (645 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
jazzpunk.jpg
645 KB, 1920x1080
it's been around since early 2014
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2NvgxpmrYk

is this jazz punk
>>
>>66035185
You mean there are other Midoris in the world? Because I have yet to hear anything like it. All I have are new wave and no wave bands with saxophones, which are not even the same thing.
>>
I'm sure jazz-punk was pretty popular in the Japanese underground during the 2000s
>>66036006
It's existed as a microgenre since the 90s
>>
>>66034807
this entire post is retarded
>>
>>66036108
it's not, and I can tell by your comment you're just defensively lashing out. It was the "dumb, spiky" comment, huh? You're some GISM/Exploited-loving faggot, aren't you?
>>
>>66036191
i don't have time to respond to all of it but the funniest part was when you called iceage a "no wave" band
>>
>>66036081
interesting about the Japan popularity, I'll have to look into that

>>66036006
it's actually been around since the early 80s. My point is that the popularity of the genre may pick up.

Example of OG punk jazz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpbv4SLyyfM
>>
>>66036081
>It's existed as a microgenre since the 90s
that post was a joke, he posted a screenshot from a game called jazzpunk that is from 2014
>>
>>66036215
Iceage aren't a no wave band, nor is EMA, but they're both obviously heavily influenced by the movement. I don't even believe no wave survived past 82 - the new york no wave scene was really a thing of the 70s. The fact that THAT's the thing you get specific about makes it clear you're covering up your ruby red puckered anus
>>
What about lo-fi Jazz with some distortion and reverb? Jazzgaze.
>>
>>66036323
that could actually be pretty cool
>>
Can someone rec some good jazz punk? I live in Philly and I heard some guys do something like this in the street once when I was walking at night and it sounded bretty gud
>>
>>66036006
>2014
no
>>
File: Screenshot_20160629-191500.jpg (2 MB, 1439x1629) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160629-191500.jpg
2 MB, 1439x1629
These guys are pretty relevant to the topic at hand.
>>
>ITT not punks make assumptions about the future of punk
>>
>>66036215
>don't have time
bullshit. You are on 4chan. You have plenty of time on your hands.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.