[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
David Bowie was the Niel deGrasse Tyson of music. Normies love
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: "geniuses".jpg (93 KB, 700x528) Image search: [Google]
"geniuses".jpg
93 KB, 700x528
David Bowie was the Niel deGrasse Tyson of music. Normies love them. Normies user their interest in them as proof that they are music- or science-savvy. Normies champion their work as artistically and scientifically important, despite the fact that it is derivative and not very interesting.

Each of these charlatans profited from more intelligent and more daring musical and scientific spirits. They were the flamboyant and self-indulgent narcissists who faggily danced down the trails blazed for them.

Fuck Bowie.
>>
No that would be Kanye you described
>>
I bet you haven't listened to more than 3 of his albums.
>>
>normies
>>
>>66033514
>implying this comment even remotely addresses any point I made

>>66033512
Except it's not trendy among internet music virgins to hate Bowie.
>>
>>66033557
I'm saying, you're calling a brilliant artist derivative, without even listening to his work much.
>>
File: bait replies.png (74 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
bait replies.png
74 KB, 1024x1024
>>66033450
>>
File: 1460850039034.jpg (125 KB, 424x700) Image search: [Google]
1460850039034.jpg
125 KB, 424x700
Except bowie was influential, and at the time these were challenging. If you look to something after it's had its influence, you are only going to see the things that were not adopted. Without Low, you wouldn't have 90% of ambient artists.

He's also respected among music nerds, just not contrarians. Even Hipsters like him.
>>
>>66033599
Except you're factually wrong about what I've listened to, and you have no empirical basis even to make the claim.

Maybe you should go back to plebbit, kiddo.
>>
>>66033557
>Normies love them. Normies user their interest in them as proof that they are music- or science-savvy. Normies champion their work as artistically and scientifically important, despite the fact that it is derivative and not very interesting.
>Each of these charlatans profited from more intelligent and more daring musical and scientific spirits. They were the flamboyant and self-indulgent narcissists

Kanye and his fanbase to a tee
>>
>>66033636
So, you say you have listened to more than 3 of his albums? Which they were?

Sorry, I don't use any other social networking sites except four-chan.
>>
>>66033630
Replace "bowie" with "Queen"---you can say just the same.

"Influence" is not a good metric for quality. Tyson will be influential, simply because he's popular.
>>
>>66033648
name one musician doing something more interesting than Kanye.
>>
>>66033630
That would be more Eno's influence than Bowie's
>>
>>66033679
Hunky Dory, Rise and Fall of Zippy Pippy, Diamond Dogs, Low, and "Heroes."

Remember that I'm not calling him trash, nigger. I'm saying he's way overrated.
>>
bowie wasnt a nigger though
>>
>>66033729
Genuinely most artists
Kanye did some phenomenal work especially with MBDTF but lately he's been completely reliant on his "controversial antics" to stay relevant.
>>
>>66033729
what does that even have to do with OP's comparison? Kanye fits the description better than Bowie. Normies think he is a crazy genius and use him to act cool and smart. Just look how deep everyone thinks the Famous video is when it too is an artistic rip off like all his other ideas
>>
>>66033876
I'd say people ("normies") are more quick to revere Bowie, especially now that he's dead, as lots of young people still have a childish bias against hip-hop as it is and Kanye has made himself a very hated figure with his publicity stunts. I think if anything its very popular to hate Kanye- not true for Bowie. If anything its getting more popular to act like you love him. Note that I'm not OP and like at least some of both Bowie and Kanye's music.
>>
>>66033971
OP. I like some of "Bowies" music, but I will insist that the best things you'll find in Bowie's music are the things that Eno (or, though not frequently enough, Fripp) put there.
>>
>>66033774
Eno never REALLY broke through until Low. Plus his influence on playing up costumes and characters iN Rock N Roll, and a lot more including Marketing's place in music is also felt.
>>
>>66033450
sure friend, sure.

both of them are intelligent and talented people, not their fault pop culture embraced them.
>>
I don't care about Kanye, I don't get why his music is popular or why he's relevant at all. I guess because I don't like hip-hop, I feel embarrassed when I listen to it even by myself.

Must be because I'm not American.
>>
>>66033557
>Except it's not trendy among internet music virgins to hate Bowie.
Your post proves the exact opposite
>>
>>66033599
Haha I noticed you just did a greentext with the 'implying' meme (one of my favorites btw). you must be quite the 4chan veteran, and for that my friend, I commend you :-).
>>
>>66034767
Nice try trying to make it to r/4chan, plebbit, but notice: Even if I were a virgin, one person making one thread doesn't constitute a thread.
>>
>>66033599

idk, not that guy, but 3 albums should be considered enough. If someone heard Low, Station to Station and Ziggy and still didn't like Bowie is pretty conclusive he won't like him at all. The same applies for almost any artist except with rare cases like Swans were they change their style completely at one point.
>>
>>66033450
this site needs to be shut down
>>
>>66034885
Hello ®eddit!
>>
>>66034444
good point, nice quads
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.