[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/prod/ - Music Production General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42
File: 220.jpg (14 KB, 220x218) Image search: [Google]
220.jpg
14 KB, 220x218
(funny thing here) edition

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
http://pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors
http://mu-sic-production.wikia.com
There's a severe lack of DAW descriptions in the wiki. If you're good with your tool of choice, consider writing a paragraph about it.

/prod/ IRC is up!
To join, you can go to http://www.rizon.net/chat
Choose a nick, put #/prod/ as channel. Enter!
Or you can get a lightweight desktop client here https://hexchat.github.io/downloads.html

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP: posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a Soundcloud link is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Remember to check other peoples' clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy.
>>
File: bos-ce5_2.jpg (167 KB, 1215x984) Image search: [Google]
bos-ce5_2.jpg
167 KB, 1215x984
about to buy a pedal for the first time
am I to assume outputs A and B are for stereo?
>>
>implying you can top this

https://clyp.it/yrfoixkq
>>
do digital to analog converters actually do anything? from what i've learned in /prod/, listening to the original, digital signal seems preferable with all music.
>>
>>66018989
They convert ones and zeroes into an analog electrical signal. You can't listen to ones and zeroes. In order for music to come out of your speakers, it has to be converted to analog so that it can go through the cables and then out of your speakers.
>>
>>66019363
so what do the audio autists get all up in arms about? the quality of the transformers in the DAC?

i just have a cheap fucking amp lel, does the job perfectly fine
>>
>>66019505
When the signal gets transformed, there's always going to be distortion and loss.

There's different techniques used to mitigate the effects depending on what sort of sound (signal) you're working with, but it's always there.

Because of this, you get a new sound that's different from the original. Purists and luddites find this unacceptable.
>>
>>66019505
>why does an audio autist obsess over audio quality
>>
>>66019657
>>66019685

yeah but i'm sure any reasonable quality amp will do just fine wont it

there are famous producers that literally went platinum with laptop speakers
>>
Well the threads off to a good start. First of all, people should post clyps for dudes like me to give feedback. Second of all, thoughts on getting izotope nectar? I've used it before on other peoples rigs and I like it but I'm just wondering if its worth the money.

>inb4 pirate it
No fuck you
>>
>>66019997
>>66018533
>>
>>66018533
you realize those strings are in the wrong key
>>
Has anyone who's ever posted in these threads (or the Bandcamp or Soundcloud threads) ever actually been/become a recognized artist?
>>
>>66019505
Demo a decent DAC for a day or 2 and compare. Don't be condescending until you can actually back it up.

It's unlikely you'd hear a difference between a $100 DAC and a $1000 DAC, but a $100 DAC will pretty much always sound better than your laptop's or phone's onboard DAC. When I bought one, the difference was fairly obvious.
>>
>>66020541
will "the shill" toledo has reached mild success

although if you ask him he'll deny ever posting here
>>
>>66020579
I meant people who have identified as artists and posted in first person, not shills or whatever.

I think Lorde might count, since she seems to have briefly posted here "for real" (memeing etc.), but that's all I know about.
>>
>>66020577
I'm asking about what specific components in high quality DACs lend themselves to a "better sound"

I have this https://www.amazon.com/Lepy-LP-2024A-Amplifier-Stereo-Supply/dp/B00ULRFQ1A

and apparently it has some fuckery in the circuits to allow for a "direct and true" sound

don't condescend by telling me i'm condescending, nigger
>>
>>66018331
it says Output A is (Mono) does it not?
>>
>>66020579
he's said multiple times that /mu/ is where is early popularity came from
>>
>>66020541
remember when trent reznor posted new nin in /prod/
>>
>>66020627
Most of it's marketing bullshit, but better components can potentially raise the signal-to-noise ratio.

Just demo them. I personally noticed a slight difference when comparing (essentially) the same DAC with delta sigma vs. ladder circuits. The ladder one sounded slightly more "analog" and slightly less clinical to me, in a vague way.

It's really debatable whether those differences "improve" the sound quality in any way, but I did personally hear a minor difference.
>>
File: trent.png (533 KB, 1079x675) Image search: [Google]
trent.png
533 KB, 1079x675
>>66020654
yes
>>
>>66020702
sounds pretty "DUDE WEED LMAO" to me

DUDE

DAC

LMAO
>>
>>66020541
iglooghost, tennyson used to post in sc threads
the producer for lorde's track royals posted it here and she was completely unknown at the time
but it depends on your definition of recognized
>>
Does anyone have a torrent for Massive for FL studio? Friend was asking me for it because apparently going on 4chan makes you a super leet torrenter.
>>
I've seen a couple of videos that show guys raising their compressor threshold well above anything but I don't get why. I thought compressors only effect the wave above the threshold? Help appreciated
>>
>>66021844
maybe to prevent a sidechain effect?
>>
i have a question for fl studio users

you know how you can save presets on vst and fx plug ins

say you have a vst channel, a synth. can you save the FX on a channel? so like, is there a simple way to load up a signature reverb, a delay, an eq and a filter (the plug ins and the presets for those plug ins) in one simple, easy click ???

dunno if i worded that correctly. its 4am, sorry
>>
>>66021998
typically presets for VSTs are saved within the VST itself. If there is no preset feature, then you might be out of luck
>>
File: 1378412553603.jpg (36 KB, 460x344) Image search: [Google]
1378412553603.jpg
36 KB, 460x344
https://clyp.it/jsvkrqo2

>4am music

still trying to figure out a lead or vocal to break up the repetitiveness
>>
File: image545519x.jpg (23 KB, 620x350) Image search: [Google]
image545519x.jpg
23 KB, 620x350
Hey /prod/ really looking for some feedback.
I just made this track. Real new to basing track on a sample. Wondering if it's anygood.
https://clyp.it/juszdnfi

>Second is my new expirmental hip-hop rap track. https://soundcloud.com/citizennumberone/neverlast
Any listens are appreciated. Ill take any advice.
>>
File: 1323470864634.jpg (15 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1323470864634.jpg
15 KB, 250x250
>>66022246
>soundcloud
>>
>>66020654
i freaked the fuck out when that happened

you're the first person i've seen to even bring it up since lol
>>
>>66022246
>>66022373
track is alright though

kinda reminds me of kid koala
>>
File: kyle song.png (84 KB, 230x229) Image search: [Google]
kyle song.png
84 KB, 230x229
Been working with this "riff" for a few days - which I still need to write an actual song around, as it's way too repetitive on its own - but I'm not quite sure if I'm going in a very good direction with the instrumentation.

https://clyp.it/umj2w0cd

Any thoughts? I kinda particularly have doubts over whether or not a piano really fits in there among all those synths (left channel, shitty midi piano sound that I need to replace anyway), and if the fast kick & bass rhythm gets too obnoxious too quickly.

>>66022185
Not quite my style of music but you're working with some really cool sounds here, m8. I'm particularly loving the kind of low, percussive yet "liquid" sounding synth that comes in at 1:44, real neat stuff.

If you wanna break the repetitiveness, you could also just figure out a secondary chord progression as a sort of break at one point, rather than just keeping the same on throughout the whole song.

Or I could see something a bit like Daft Punk's "Aerodynamic", with a higher-pitched riff that seems unrelated to the first half of the song at first but then the two are played together and it makes sense again, y'know?

>>66022246
The "I feel like" sample is catchy enough, but feels just not quite in the right scale - the "like" sounds like it's a semitone lower than it should be to fit with your song. Maybe autotune it a tad?

Overall, not bad, but I feel the mix is a bit too low. Bass & drums might be a bit too high in the mix, too, and I don't know... it kinda lacks a "something" to make it really interesting, you know? Maybe more rhythmic vocal splicing, maybe just a tambourine here and there or something, not quite sure. Maybe a synth lead?

But yeah, not quite there yet, I'd say keep working on it. There's an idea, though, so that's good.
>>
>>66021327
https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/7826643/[ISO_TORRENT]_Native_Instruments_-_Massive_(STANDALONE__amp__VST
>>
>>66022460
The riff sounds great. I see it more as a hook/chorus than something to build an entire song with. Maybe just take a sustained version of the bass line and use that as a scratch track to build the verses. You can probably use the same chords just pitched down an octave
>>
Skiving off work today lads, gonna learn how to use Reaktor
>>
>>66019730
Like?
>>
>>66021998
Yes.
Mixer menu -> save/load channel
>>
>>66024243
Do it and tutor me on Core.
>>
>make a good drum loop
>find a decent vocal sample and construct a hook with it
>get the mix sounding good
>when it's time to make the bassline and melody I completely shit the bed and even after hours of trying I can't come up with anything decent

Help me guys. I make house music (not EDM house), it shouldn't be that hard, but it is. I don't need to know about types of chords and typical rhythms in the genre I make, I just can't make anything that works well and sounds good enough to make a track with.

Any advice is appreciated. Whether it's the dirtiest laziest method ever or an honest helpful reply. But like I said, I don't really need to know about what kind of chords are used or anything cause I already know them, it's not a theory issue, it's a creative one.
>>
>>66024668

do it by ear nerd
stop thinking so much about it
not even memeing, but being either high or drunk helps me sometimes when I'm too clinical
like, if it sounds good, its good innit
the "omg I cannot come up w something good" its all in your head
if you force it, it will never happen
and as you already know, there is no magical formula.
>>
>>66024668
I usually do the synths second (after selecting the bass drum) because I get stuck if I fill in the rhythm without any synth parts.
>>
>>66024560
Just started going through the building in primary manual. Core after that.
>>
>>66024668
Learn basic music theory. It literally isn't hard.

Learn about scales first - as in, learn what the intervals are between each notes of a typical major scale. It's really fucking easy and if you can picture a piano keyboard, you have no reason to ever not remember it. Minor scales are a tad harder but there are basically only three big types where only the last two notes of the scale change so it's not that hard to learn either.

Chords are also easy as fuck - just basically learn how many semitones should be between each notes to make what chord and that's all.

Anyway, once you got that in mind, just find out the notes of your vocal sample, and try to tell what scale they could fit into. If the sample only has a few notes, it can be a bit ambiguous as you would have a lot of different possible scales that could fit.

One good idea to tell what the key of a song is, is to imagine the ending. Like, picture your song, and imagine that you had to end it in a single big note, like an orchestral ending or something. 99% of the time you will naturally picture the root (= first note) of the scale.

So there ya go, you know the scale, just limit yourself to those notes when writing your bassline. Try to pick notes so that you don't get notes right next to each others between the bass and the main melodies - for example, if your vocal note is a C, don't have the bass play a D. There are LOTS of cases where this can sound really good, but you are a beginner, so you probably aren't experienced enough to make it sound good.

Also I mean notes that fall right on the beat - kinda "transition" notes between beats don't matter nearly as much, you can have a bit more dissonance there.

Or, you know, do it only by ear. But music theory really isn't hard at all, and it's a really useful tool to get started composing if you don't know what you are doing too well. Plus, knowing the "rules" makes it easier for you to break them, once you get better at composing.
>>
>>66024668
>I don't need to know about types of chords and typical rhythms in the genre I make
It always helps to know more, anon.
>>
>>66018989
I've learned that if you're at the point where you have to ask yourself why you need something, you don't need it yet.
>>
>>66024721
>>66024891
>>66025317
Thanks a lot
>>
>>66025434
That's some great advice actually.
>>
>>66026093
Not him but another piece of advice.

If you see a lot of a certain piece of gear being sold used on ebay take into consideration why so many people are selling it.
>>
>>66026431
is this why i can never find anyone selling a waldorf microwave XTK?
>>
>>66026496
Exactly. Also why they're so damn expensive still.
>>
>>66026506
i swear i've been looking for a good price on one for 10 years
>>
anyone buy new gear recently?

eyeing anything?
>>
>>66027587
yah
got an old novation supernova
love it
kinda looking into buying a drum machine
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 750x284) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 750x284
>>66027587
My Mopho x4 just got delivered. Can't wait to finish work

>>66026627
I gave up and just got a Blofed. It makes more sense considering how rarely I use PPG wave type sounds.
>>
>>66027772
i've always wanted a super nova, i remember the pads sounding amazing

>>66027798
>mopho x4
so jealous, you'll have to share a clyp.it once you start messing around with it
>>
File: 41N9Wgnsh3L.jpg (19 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
41N9Wgnsh3L.jpg
19 KB, 333x500
>>66027587
I haven't been gearing recently but the last thing I bought was a pair of these acoustic piezo pickups which I use as contact mics for interesting field recording. Having trouble finding interesting (and easy-to-access) sources though. Hopefully I'll be able to get some train tracks and a bridge or two soon.

https://youtu.be/FoWraigpEVQ
>>
>>66028210
Personally, I love bridges. If you can find a bridge with steel girders that you can reach, attach them to two different points, and hard pan them left and right. I made two pieces like this. One with the mics, and a second by emulating the sounds I captured with a modular synthesizer.
>>
>>66020711
how did i miss when this happened
>>
>>66018331
>am I to assume outputs A and B are for stereo?
yes
>>
File: 40.jpg (667 KB, 1228x1746) Image search: [Google]
40.jpg
667 KB, 1228x1746
>>66028401
yeah i have a 106 year-old steel railroad truss already scoped-out! i just have to get out there without being spotted or accosted by vagrants crazies.

pics related!
>>
>kurzweil k2500 near me

should I get it
>>
>>66020627
>I'm asking about what specific components in high quality DACs lend themselves to a "better sound"
you did not understand: you need a dac if you want to listen to digital music. your soundcard is a dac. an external one will probably be better than an internal one. it all doesn't matter with that shitty amp though.
>>
>>66028620
Arm yourself if you're worried. In my experience, vagrants won't do anything but say weird shit to you. Only young upstanding urban gentleman wearing new clothes should be worrisome.
>>
>>66020711
>a tripfag named trent reznor

whoa it totally must be the real (tm) Trent Reznor!
>>
>>66022460
Not sure if it's because you posted that pic but I feel like it would sound better with a guitar and shit. Could even be some kind of demo for a Naked And Famous track
>>
File: icp-fbi.jpg (42 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
icp-fbi.jpg
42 KB, 500x500
>>66028725
well †bh the concern is more about police and mean teenagers doing drugs. there's been a bunch of shenanigans lately in that area, including groups of brawling youths with guns being brandished, etc. so now the cops are keeping an eye on shit. small rural town too, but small rural towns are where anger, drugs, ICP, and casual access to muhguns is rampant. kids got nothing to strive for.
>>
>>66024668
Holy shit are you me?
I've been stuck with this for a while https://clyp.it/ymkw2juu but I can't be arsed to continue this because I know it will sound like shit
>>
>>66028692
the day i sold my k2000 still haunts me
the K series are some of the best romplers

how much are they asking?
>>
>>66029180

$300 freedom dollars
>>
>>66029198
that is a crazy good deal!
>>
>>66018284
Okay I get making a melody with a midi keyboard

but when it transfers to the daw it's all out of time, even when quatinised

how to fix?
>>
File: nAANPwT.jpg (9 KB, 240x200) Image search: [Google]
nAANPwT.jpg
9 KB, 240x200
Posted this in the last thread, didn't get anyone to shit all over it though :(

Pls roast my dumb shit. The ending probably needs a melody of some sort, but it's a WIP so whatever.

https://clyp.it/4ykjv1qd
>>
>>66029180
>>66029228

I love the sounds of it. I think I'm going to get it

PS I'm no stranger to programming hardware synths (mostly analog tho) but I'm watching a video tutorial on a 2500 and it looks daunting....exactly how complicated it is? I like programming synths but I am not a hardcore knob turner. Is it fairly forgiving if you don't spend hours and hours programming it? can I just load a patch and change it to my taste?>>66029198
>>
>>66028744
its hard to deny based on how legit the clypit was
>>
Is there some kind of formula or rule of thumb of the human attention span you could use for creating music?
I don't mean basic song structures like using bars etc but more like time in seconds or something like that.
Like, there's gotta be some study on how long an average person stays focused on a newly introduced melody etc...
>>
>>66029412
it was just a regular leak, calm down. what would trent reznor do here
>>
>>66029455
Find some real inspiration maybe
>>
no matter what I do I always think there's something missing... does it sound that way to other people?

https://clyp.it/b3q53yjp
>>
>>66029291
it can be nightmarish...especially programming midi. Sound design isn't that bad, and you can easily edit an existing patches. maybe not to your exact liking without going through pages of options/tweaking, but you can change up the FM algorithms really easy for some wack stuff.

piano/orchestra roms are top notch.
speaking of NIN, this was the main rompler used on the downward spiral. from ruiner horns to hurt guitar.
>>
>>66027587
Thought about buying an Alpha Juno for $200 off ebay, but I really don't have room anymore. Also considered starting a small eurorack expander for my MS20 but a case/OSC/voltage converter is like $500.
>>
>>66029530
A melody/hook is what's missing.
>>
>>66029288
>https://clyp.it/4ykjv1qd
It's fine but doesn't really take off or go anywhere.
Some nice sounds but aimless in construction.
>>
>>66029662
where do I make it go? song structure is a weak point for me for sure
>>
>>66029455
what would a socially awkward celebrity be doing on an anonymous board involving discussion they are interested in?
>>
>>66029591

alright thank you
>>
>>66029684
Reminds me when Joel came over for a Q&A and everyone told him to go to bed
>>
>>66029680
That's not my decision to make.

If you have an idea for what you want to create you can come up with the structure.
If you want it to fit into a particular genre then listen to the structure of some tracks you like in that style and do something similar.
>>
>>66029501
lol
>>
>>66029598
>Also considered starting a small eurorack expander for my MS20
you will spend a lot of money in the next years. I said it first.

Also careful with expanding the MS20, it uses different triggers and voltages than the regular eurorack stuff
>>
>>66029684
Because there are places on the internet to discuss things you're interested in that aren't populated by a bunch of meme loving teenagers.
>>
Very rough wip: https://clyp.it/qeeet0jc

Happy with the low but d'you reckon it needs some high end crunch?
>>
Euroracks are expensive Fisher Price-tier toys for nerds to pretend they're on the bridge of the Enterprise with the kewl pew pew lights and sounds, while having virtually very little musical value

prove me wrong
>>
>>66029718
I don't really feel the need to fit into a genre. Maybe some parts just need to be made to stand out more? Idk. Thanks for your input though.
>>
>>66029836
Isn't the burden of proof on you for making the claim?

Otherwise, you're a gigantic faggot and that is my proof.
>>
>>66029836
Venetian Snares? Radiohead?
>>
>>66029836
Uh oh, the elusive jelly poorfag is now shitposting.
>>
>>66029860
>>66029893
it is really hard to find good modular synth demos on youtube. but that goes for all instruments i guess.
>>
File: pretty_hat_machine.jpg (20 KB, 393x427) Image search: [Google]
pretty_hat_machine.jpg
20 KB, 393x427
>>66029767
>implying reznor isn't a meme loving teenager
>>
i don't know much of anything about /prod/ but Give Us Two More Beers is the purest meme on /mu/
>>
>>66029836
here you go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lZO-3Uz0ps
>>
>>66029836
There are many, many 'gear heads' who spend way too much on equipment (be that modular or otherwise) but have no musical ideas.

I have a small modular (I didn't pay for it) and have got sounds out of it that I wouldn't from anything else. It's also super fun being so tactile with sound and sends you down different trains of thought/creativity to other ways of interacting with sound.

Also the raw sound of the oscillators I have is ruddy massive.
>>
>>66029763
I'm actually not gonna expand past an OSC/Filter and a spring reverb desu. I share a similar sentiment to this guy >>66029836 tbqh.

>>66029836
There are a lot of hacks out there but there are dudes out there who know what they are doing. Morton Subotnick and Charles Cohen come to mind, but they both use Buchlas.
>>
>>66030089
this is not a good example. he just plays midi files e downloaded.
this is good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbLt0S0W5jE
>>
>>66030124
>I'm actually not gonna expand past an OSC/Filter and a spring reverb desu
this is not true. believe me.
btw, a second lfo is a good idea for expansion, and maybe an envelope as the secondary from the ms20 is shot. a second osc/filter seems useless to me.
>>
>>66030281
>shit
>>
>>66030226
>midi files
where do you see that?
In the comments he claims to be using 4 sequencer modules
>>
>>66029893
nah I have a lot of good gear

>>66029881
2 examples isn't the rule

>>66029931
you ratio of garbage/good of euroracks far surpasses any other type of synth. only puredata autists are worse

>>66030089
wow all that circuitry to make a mediocre tune I could've done with what I can find at my local goodwill

>>66030226
well finally an actual something that resembles a tune

and btw my fav tune of all time contains a bassline programmed on an eurorack ; )

doesn't mean 90% of eurorack owners aren't hobbyist that just collect modules and might electrically know the entire path of the signal of the farts they program in their toys, doesn't mean the result is musically worthy.

For every good eurorack video I've seen there are 20 retired electrical engineers bragging about their expensive set ups and 10 autistic kids mesmerized by the little lights
>>
>>66030124
>not going past osc and filter
Then you're missing the point of modular

It's all in the VCAs. If you don't understand why, then you're just using your modular as an expensive monosynth
>>
>>66030391
>It's all in the VCAs. If you don't understand why, then you're just using your modular as an expensive monosynth
derp
>>
>>66029767
what places?
>>
>>66030340
Wow, a whole lot of solid arguments here.
>>
95% of eurorack owners

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCUQpcLg-aE
>>
>>66030422
So if guess you don't get it.

VCAs aren't just for output.
>>
>>66030391
What's good about the VCA's? I'm a noob..
>>
>>66030340
>doesn't mean 90% of eurorack owners aren't hobbyist that just collect modules and might electrically know the entire path of the signal of the farts they program in their toys, doesn't mean the result is musically worthy.
But what is the point of that? Is a Porsche a bad car because Hans can't drive?
>>
File: 1443121329544.jpg (88 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1443121329544.jpg
88 KB, 600x600
>>66030340
>musically worthy

let me guess, you write all of your songs in western tuning
>>
>>66030281
>>66030391
I get the what you guys are saying but the reason I would consider doing a small expander is for the sonic reasons. I'm not really interested in doing complex evolving sounds.
>>
>>66030453
vca means voltage controlled amplifier. it is a tool, it is about what you do with it. it is the most simple part of a monosynth.
>>
>>66030459
He meant envelopes probaly
>>
https://clyp.it/4kaqudyj
Thoughts?
>>
>>66030340
>my brain can't comprehend synthesis unless it's OCS>Filter>LFO>ADSR/VCA
>>
>>66030520
so it's am modulation
>>
>>66029450
it's something like 3 seconds before they're done with your song

no i'm not joking. i've seen a "Study" about it but i've got no source of course.

also the general rule is to get to the chorus within the first minute of course... but this is all mainly pop but if that's your deal you should already know what to expect
>>
>>66030560
I just said amplitude modulation modulation
>>
>>66030560
it is used for am modulation, yes. like a volume knob.
>>
>>66030558
>I require a $2k toy to make fart noises and to placate my autistic needs
>>
>>66029530
>https://clyp.it/b3q53yjp
singing m8

just do it
>>
>>66030521
Nope.
>>66030520
Almost there.
>>66030459
VCAs are great for modulation, not just audio output.

Say you want to have vibrato slowly come in when you press a new key, you patch an LFO into the input, and modulate it with an envelope generator, then the output to your VCO pitch.

There's a lot more you can do, that's just a basic example.

Fun fact, most monosynths have a lot more than one VCA, but there's only one or two in the audio path.

People don't realize this when they go modular, so they get a system with only one VCA, and get surprised when they can't do any complex modulation.
>>
>>66030558
how does one plug a filter into a lfo and then all the stuff into an adsr?
>>
>>66029713
archived?
>>
>>66030662
I wasn't about to show multiple signal pathways diagrams via text... figured it wouldn't matter since anon is autistic anyway
>>
btw, what do you think of this? It's from a live session.

https://clyp.it/msbctuxj
>>
>>66030662
>Square wave VCO at LFO rate into VCF
>VCF rounds edges of Square wave off for less dramatic modulation
>LFO changes rate of other LFO
>LFO triggers ADSR with super funky rhythm
>use to gate guitar or voice or whatever
>>
>>66030788
Sounds interesting, i will try that
>>
>>66029813
Lovely! Finish this. Excite or distort the high end, it's a bit weak. How'd you get the bass so big and rounded?
>>
>>66030679
Not anymore. Suppose it was way longer back than 2012. Shiiiet. This Q&A was also the reason why everyone else memes around with go to be Joel whenever he is mentioned because he would stay up that long only for that Q&A
>>
>>66030922
Didn't Skrillex say that when Joel prank called him?
>>
>>66030340

You didn't respond to >>66030110
>>
>>66030949
Well shit you're right.
>>
>>66030969

but you didn;t ask a question nor said anything I disagree with
>>
>>66030110
>Also the raw sound of the oscillators I have is ruddy massive.
Which ones do you have?
>>
>>66031155
Well they're musically valid even if a lot of people that own them are musical invalids.

>>66031190
A Sputnik and a Richter II
>>
File: modular.jpg (465 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
modular.jpg
465 KB, 750x1000
speaking of giant wastes of money

anyone have module suggestions?

I have been looking at the 4ms quad lfo or the harvestman kermit for my next purchase.

also, can i get away with VCAs as apart of LFOs or Envelope generators, or should i plan to have dedicated VCA modules? trying to save space
>>
>>66031273
>Sputnik and a Richter II
nice
>>
>>66031274
A lot of euro EGs will have them, but not too many LFOs. Look around for quad VCA modules, they're super handy to keep around.
>>
>>66031368
>quad VCA modules
doepfer a-135-1 is nice for that, you can also use it as a mixer
>>
>>66018284

so whats the gear on Lunga's studio?
>>
>>66031429
I can tell the top keyboard is the JX-8P, a nice DCO 6 voice synth that requires Thor level strength to operate the aftertouch, unless you do the tedious repair procedure.
Below that is a Roland sampler, can't remember which.
The thing below the computer monitor is some Roland midi sequencer
>>
>>66031368
>>66031417
hmm okay.
i was looking at getting a couple Doepfer EGs with VCAs. Maybe i should get a quad VCA and plain dual EG instead...
>>
>>66031429
how did this lunga meme start anyway?
>>
>>66031512
It's also important to note the difference between exponential and linear curve VCAs. Exponential is normally for audio, due to the way we perceive loudness, where linear is useful for modulation. Some are switchable, many are not.

That said,you can use either curve for either task, you're not going to break anything.
>>
>>66031512
quad vca and quad eg
>>
File: 1426735921493.jpg (2 MB, 2560x2489) Image search: [Google]
1426735921493.jpg
2 MB, 2560x2489
>>66030442
>you will never own a modular rig that size and patch it in front of customers at your own hip chicago tea shop
>>
File: seasons.png (10 KB, 383x467) Image search: [Google]
seasons.png
10 KB, 383x467
>>66031669
that pic is beautiful
>>
>>66031669
Go 5U/dotcom
You get more size per dollar
>>
>>66031628
any quad eg suggestions? The ones i've seen take up a lot of space.

>>66031624
noted!
>>
>>66031746
i have the doepfer one but it's huge
>>
>>66018284
OP why are you such a faggot? We put in our effort in updating the pastebin links and you faggot post the old link all the time, also nobody uses the wiki so fuck off
>>
>>66031772
no body uses the links anyway, that is what this thread is for
>>
>>66031808
Many people use the links, including me the first time i came here, they are very useful you should check them out.
>>
File: 71LSLyIbCvL._SL1122_.jpg (150 KB, 1122x1118) Image search: [Google]
71LSLyIbCvL._SL1122_.jpg
150 KB, 1122x1118
How the fuck did he do the snare on the opening track? I could do it now with break tweaker easily, but this album came out in 1996!
>>
>>66032245
Sequenced by hand, nothing that fancy going on...some sample start point modulation, velocity and filter stuff happening.
>>
Hey /prod/, rate my attempt at being cassetteboy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bajnt0iWvqs

Feels weird chopping up audio in a video editor instead of a DAW.
>>
https://clyp.it/erc44ccy
alright so I did a bit of mixing/mastering with some headphones
I have a few questions for someone with monitors
are those hats harsh at all? should I de-ess them?
what about the high notes on the guitar?
also I normally make hip hop beats and I tried mixing my drums a little quieter in this track. do they still hold enough weight?

also in terms of your first impression of the track
how self absorbed/10?
>>
>>66033562
also the kick that hits on the and of the beat
is it too distorted and muddy?
>>
>>66033266
9/10 watched the whole channel
>>
I know I'm being thick as pigshit right now, but

how do I create a channel in Ableton that sends Midi To and not Audio To?
>>
guys
I think I have to return the Mopho x4
>>
File: adncih.jpg (12 KB, 432x288) Image search: [Google]
adncih.jpg
12 KB, 432x288
>>66034037
wtf? what's wrong?
>>
>>66034182
It's too good
>>
this producing stuff is hard work

I got to that plateau where you know the basics and thought I was a god for a bit and now I feel like a huge pleb
>>
>>66028210
Do you pre-amp it in anyway?
>>
>>66034037
Why? Does it only have mono midi?
>>
>>66034496
Unfortunately it only supports poly chain out or poly midi.
>>
best sub-reedits for prod?
>>
https://clyp.it/fwvnsgcl

Working on this remix but I feel like there's something missing in the chorus part that makes it sound so weak in comparsion to the verse parts and such but I don't know. What do you guys think?
>>
>>66034282
That's happened with everything I've ever tried to learn, I think it's normal.
>>
File: ADI21 Front.png (648 KB, 635x800) Image search: [Google]
ADI21 Front.png
648 KB, 635x800
>>66034314
sure do brethren from another methren!

I use a paif of pic relateds. They have a whopping 4.7MΩ input impedance so the piezos sound glorious through it. Plus of course they have bypassable tone controls and a -20dB pad if you need it, and have balanced and unbalanced outputs. Nothing on the market compares within a hundred dollars. They only cost $30 each and really are essential.
>>
File: hi_five_meh.png (20 KB, 493x402) Image search: [Google]
hi_five_meh.png
20 KB, 493x402
>>66034260
Oh I see, you were joshin'.

Glad to hear it josh-anon! Post some samples already.
>>
>>66034962
Dang. I may need to invest. My porfag diy contact mic sounds crap even after hooking it up to an amp i downloaded some circuits for.
Tho it probably doesn't help I know jack shit about electronics.
>>
>>66035189
yeah i tried to come-up with a /diy/ solution but frankly once i found the ADI21s the deal was sealed. what are you recording into btw?
>>
https://clyp.it/4usi0eyy

Them chords be fat and those hihats are raining.
>>
>>66033562
>>66033603
can i get sumthin?
>>
>>66035630
This is cool, very spooky.
>>
>>66027587
Was looking into notation bass station 2 and maybe a cheap little keyboard. I pretty much gave up on making music because I for the love of God can't make anything decent by programming notes with a mouse. I still practice producing drums and synths and play around with samples tho so I dont end up getting rusty
>>
>>66035248
My 10kΩ [spoiler]soundcard[/spoiler].
>>
>>66030432
Gear slutz. I've talked to a former NIN member on that site before.
>>
File: 1413708835945.png (10 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1413708835945.png
10 KB, 500x500
>>66035895
ah. yes i've been down that road myself. tough times anon.
>>
File: syd.gif (16 KB, 257x184) Image search: [Google]
syd.gif
16 KB, 257x184
Anyone know of another synth that looks like this? http://jbum.com/syd/

It look's so interesting but its to old to work on my laptop
>>
>>66036084
So, you basically want a modular synth?
VAZ, Sonigen, Reaktor, ...
>>
>>66035960
Hey, I've gotten some nice glass bottle sounds, it's not all bad. I gotta make a second one so I can leave the realm of mono midi.
>>
>>66036600
oh for sure, I used to record str8 into 10kΩ as well... it's useable for the right sound sources for sure.
>mono midi
yeah stereo usb is the way to go! my first pair of piezo contact mics didn't match at all for some reason. i made them both out of exactly the same parts but they sound completely different... dunno why, i guess just poor manufacturing tolerances of the piezo discs. that's why i ended-up just buying mass produced ones... they were only like $5 each.
>>
>>66033562
This is possibly the worst thing I've heard on this thread. Please stop production and learn to play the guitar and sing first.

Just kidding I liked it. You should fix the kicks tho they are a little too distorted.
>>
>>66036647
>stereo usb
Okay, I laughed.
I just gotta weather shopkeepers and florists looking funny at me when I ask for musical greeting cards.
>>
>>66033954
oh my god LITERALLY use your eyes and some common sense the answer is IN your screenshot
>>
https://clyp.it/levtvzce

Hows this loop sounding, senpai?
Been working on it for a bit now.
>>
>>66033758
Cheers m8
Gonna do more political rap cutups in the future too.
>>
File: 1446029694575.gif (11 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1446029694575.gif
11 KB, 200x200
>>66036930
would boogie on down to something more from this. Everything sounds great even at high vol's.

https://clyp.it/zujfnwoh

This is pretty close to being done, besides the drum leveling/percussion addition that hasn't happened yet due me being out of state.

Anything else I should work on? First time working on a more dynamic piece and finding the right sound balance has been a bit difficult.
>>
>>66037143
Sounds great!
Maybe a bit too much reverb, but thats just me.
>>
>>66034623
wearethemusicmakers but it's pretty much useless bad advice and oldfags complaining because their music sucks

audioengineering is helpful... most of those guys actually seem to have had jobs engineering and aren't just typing out their ass
>>
>>66036651
why would u do that?
>>
>>66033954
it's k m8

make midi track
select other track and select the previous track under midi from
>>
>>66018284
https://clyp.it/ulp5lk3m

beat I'm working on, feedback/constructive criticism would be cool. Not sure if it's total shit or I should keep working on it. Main thing I have a problem with so far is it's a little too repetitive for the length atm, might shorten it if I can't think of anything else too interesting to add to it
>>
>>66032245
The snare on the track '4'?

Just sounds like a rando electronic drum machine snare with a weak little electronic kick underneath it.
>>
Hey /prod/
how's work goin?
>>
>>66032245
It's just triggered really fast
>>
hey /prod/, probably very basic question but say you wanted to side chain a kick to your bass, would you still apply regular compression to the bass and if so would it be put before or after?
>>
>>66038713
Yeah, I usually use a regular compressor and a sidechain after. I usually put the sidechain as the very last effect.
>>
>>66037458
>audioengineering
this is the best one on leddit by far
>>
Opinions /mu/?
https://clyp.it/ppwcllwr
>>
>>66039342
>https://clyp.it/ppwcllwr
pretty good it didn't get too repetitive but think the intro sweep thing is a little cheesy and the high pitched chime thing sounds a little harsh like it has too much high end on it

https://clyp.it/2yh0nwqi

Here's on i'm working on having trouble coming up with a melody
>>
hello i downloaded fl studio ironically and would like to make harsh noise

what plugins / synths should i use
>>
>>66039545
if you have it earn harmor its probably the best synth imageline created
>>
>>66039516
That sounds cool m8, its so smooth and chill.
>>
If I wanted to start making music like this, what should I buy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9pEB-AGSxg
>>
>>66037532
Find new drums and shorten this in half.
>>
>>66039884
Sampler, just use a computer though.
>>
>>66040226
where do I find samples? is it easy to make your own with your own instruments?
>>
File: 1466880532036.gif (2 MB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
1466880532036.gif
2 MB, 360x270
>>66040301
>where do I find samples? is it easy to make your own with your own instruments?
>>
>>66040226
Like just a daw or something?
>>
>>66040301
If you're just starting out your daw has more than enough samples included
>>
>>66039884
Also you can just send the dude an email and he will probaly tell you how he made it btw. I send random dudes emails asking them how they did shit and they usually respond if you're nice about it.
>>
>>66040500
Yeah, I'll just message him on youtube. I feel like an idiot for not even thinking about that.
>>
what do you use compressors for? besides sidechain compression, is there any use for compressors in electronic music if i'm not using any recorded instruments?
>>
>>66040500
>>66040535
this actually works and adding faggots on facebook

as long as youre cool with them they will usually respond to you because there are tons of people messaging them with shitposts
>>
What does /prod/ think about this? It's just a little loop I made chopping and sampling my own music, I wish I could turn it into a full song. I'm really scared about the voice being out of tune. I'm mixing on headphones, it'll probably be hard listening to the bass if you are on laptop speakers, I used a saturator to minimize the chances of this happening, though.

https://clyp.it/cueet0fl
>>
>>66041161
needs more balance, it feels like it lacks highs. Drums need to be brought out more, maybe sidechain. Other than that, pretty groovy dude
>>
>>66041445
That's really good advice, unluckily I chopped my samples before adding compression to the drums, so now I wouldn't know how to do it. About the highs, should I just EQ it a bit more or it's about the instruments being on the lower frequency range?
>>
>>66041161
Mix-wise, still sounds like a demo. The synth that comes in at 8 seconds is louder than everything else, the drums are too quiet, bass relatively non-existent. Use a frequency analyzer on the main mix and try to get the frequencies to look like pink noise (google "pink noise mixing")

Music-wise I like it, keep it up...
>>
>>66041595
You will probably have to play around with it a bit, see if eqing works
>>
What do you eat while /prod/ing? I eat ice cream although sometimes it gets on the Allen & Heath
>>
>>66041731
That's so helpful for people who can't afford to buy a set of monitors, I'll try it out right now, thanks for the feedback, man.
>>
File: Screenshot (19).png (18 KB, 1298x452) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (19).png
18 KB, 1298x452
>>66041989
Yeah I feel you man, I mix on headphones, I'm always looking for cheap hacks to mix visually and shit even though you're not supposed to, lol...

You can also get a lot out of visually just looking at the waveforms of your favorite songs...look at the waves where the drums play by themselves, try to get your drums to look like that. Check this visual of some nice drum waves...you want the transients to sort of poke out of the sausage.
>>
>>66042410
Idk if it relates, but even though I have monitors, though quite old ones, I use an rainmeter audio visualizer to help me when eq'ing and mastering.
>>
>>66042410
I'm all about cheap hacks, actually I could buy a set of monitors but I want to get better at producing first.

So this happened after mixing with pink noise:

Before /prod/: https://clyp.it/cueet0fl

After /prod/: https://clyp.it/t3xbkfq2

Sadly I still can't listen to the bass on my laptop speakers.
>>
>>66042934
Pretty dank man, tons groovier with audible drums. The balance was made better, no complaints from me.
>>
What's the best sampler out right now? What's your favorite?
>>
>>66018284
>http://pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q
there are books that tells you how they produce certain albums? i dont know, im looking like a diary of production of godtier albums, ways they achieve sounds or inspirations, or just funny storys of muscicians and producers
>>
>>66044149
you could watch some 'making of' documentaries, or read some 33 1/3 books. those kinds of things aren't usually very in depth, though.
>>
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1yATMEUcM67

guys I don't know what I'm doing pls send help
>>
File: INTERLUDE.jpg (190 KB, 1593x1600) Image search: [Google]
INTERLUDE.jpg
190 KB, 1593x1600
Anyone got similar music theory/music production infographics or stuff like that? post em
>>
File: alisa77_2.jpg (40 KB, 580x293) Image search: [Google]
alisa77_2.jpg
40 KB, 580x293
>>66038575
>>
The ride in my track seems to occasionally spike in volume, and it doesn't sound great. What could be the cause?
>>
>>66045085
For starters you could try uploading it somewhere that's not vocaroo and its shitty compression

>clyp.it
>>
>>66029246
You probably have too much input lag. Get a sound card.
>>
>>66033562
dig it my friend, solid vibe

don't have monitors, but my hi-fi thinks your drums are balanced fine
your vocal are sharp on the fourth bar of every phrase, not in a tasteful way, but thats just like my opinion man

needs some lead vocals and then its a track
>>
File: 1463593912664.jpg (10 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1463593912664.jpg
10 KB, 200x200
Does anyone here actually play their synthesizers live while recording them or do you guys just enter everything into piano roll?
>>
>>66041862
Allen and Heath, Is it hat a new Ben and Kerry's flavour?
>>
File: 1460725108914.jpg (112 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1460725108914.jpg
112 KB, 1280x720
How the fuck do i make synthesizer sounds that aren't shit?

The moment i enter a second waveform into FM synthesizers everything falls apart and sounds like ass. I just want those smooth fucking saws everyone uses for playing complex chords on synths. Fuck
>>
>>66047331
FM isn't really for saw type sounds. You can use saw waves, but you won't end with saw waves. FM also tends to get very trashy when you use non-sine waves.

>>66047300
I'm assuming you're the same guy cause the anime shit. I play some stuff live and sequence others, depends on the feel I want.
>>
>>66047381
So i can't really do shit with Operator?
And no, i'm not the same guy

Maybe i really need to buy something like Omnisphere or whatever, but i've always been told FM synthesis is goat
>>
>>66037143
i'm a fan of your aesthetic, listened to this a few times now

is it lame to ask to follow you? i want to hear more

>>66037532
shorten it in half absolutely, and find better fitting drum/cymbal samples

two things you can do: 1. keep working on it so you get experience in refining your ideas. 2. move on, make more music; few people have the inclination to do 1. for every single idea they record. you'd need epic amounts of patience

>>66039342
could use more sub!!

>>66039516
i like it, consider a sine/calliope patch for your lead
>>
>>66047407
FM synthesis is fantastic, but I have no clue why you're using it to get saws. It's it a do-all synthesizer. FM is good for heavily modulated sounds and slow evolving pads. Subtractive is way better for plain saws
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.