[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do avant-garde musicians perform live?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: dreamcrusher2.jpg (273 KB, 3000x2003) Image search: [Google]
dreamcrusher2.jpg
273 KB, 3000x2003
So this is a legitimate question that I want to pitch to fellow /mu/tants:

There are times where I am so curious about getting more into the "underground" scene where I am currently living at and exploring some of what that city has to offer (I move around quite a bit). However, most of the time, whenever I have done this, I usually just run into the usual gamut of hardcore/punk groups. What I am kind of looking for is electronic/ambient/avant-garde musicians, just to see what kind of people attend their shows and how their music sounds in a live environment. My current internet searches for shows currently place me into Europe and Brooklyn. Which, fuck that - I am stuck in my current state on a budget. I don't care if I look like a dumbass doing this, I seriously just want to hear about what other people do looking for shows like this.
>>
>>66012075
Yes, they do, they just perform for less people.
>>
Yes I go to shows on a weekly basis that are unknown avant garde acts

A great one this year was when there was a huge pile of scrap metal in the middle of the floor in front of the stage that everyone crowded around. Then once the audience was all in, it became apparent that a guy was actually buried under all of the metal and his concert was the sound of him trying to climb out. Metal and chains were clanging, grunts and blood poured out of this dude until he finally broke out of it after about 20 min. Some kind of comment on humanity being suffocated by industrialism was imbedded into the performance
>>
>>66012341
that sounds great what city?
>>
>>66012420
Florence Massachusetts
>>
>>66012341
Sounds like Tumblr tier faggotry
>>
>>66012341
That sounds like performance art and not music, if your being serious, which I don't think you are
>>
>>66012483
all sound is music you complete and utter plebian
>>
are those punk/hardcore shows just straight up hardcore or are their some bands with noise elements or with a more experimental sounds? Often theirs a bit of crossover there. Talk to whoevers promoting and and hosting those shows, often they know whats going on elsewhere. Where are you at?
>>
>>66012483
100% serious, most of the people there had their eyes closed and listened to the sounds organized by his action, but yes it was part performance art as well. A majority of avant garde stuff ive seen straddles both music and performance art

>>66012464
Maybe to you. It was a Chris Burden tribute show with other acts doing music/art pieces of a similar nature
>>
>>66012075
I don't know, it's easy enough to find noise/experimental shows on ohmyrockness here in Los Angeles.
>>
>>66012505
*plebeian

>>66012572
Well I suppose I can respect it, but the idea of it being called music doesn't vibe well with me. Something like that would take devotion to the art sure, but there's no skill or imagination involved in it besides the meaning that they labeled it with.

At least in noise and other free improv stuff timbre, texture, and stuff like that is considered
>>
>>66012762
>there's no skill or imagination involved in it besides the meaning that they labeled it with

There is skill and imagination but playing with meaning is the biggest point of post modern art, like noise and free improv

Just because its not played on a musical instrument does not mean it cant be music. This is what Cage created a movement out of with his work and writing in the book Silence. All sounds can be music when perceived in that context. Its noise organized by human guided processes and contains timbre just like a cymbal or whatever would
>>
>>66012572
I had forgot that Chris Burden had died recently. Anyways, how did you find out about this?
>>
>>66012512
Hey OP here. Kansas is where I'm rooted now.
>>
>>66013179
There's definitely stuff happening in KC if you're near.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.