[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BU (scholarship) or Columbia (debt)?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 2563385.jpg (125 KB, 600x595) Image search: [Google]
2563385.jpg
125 KB, 600x595
hey /adv/,

Got the college acceptances. The best schools I got into are Boston University and Columbia University. BU is offering a decent scholarship that will allow me to graduate with little or possibly no debt. Columbia on the other hand isn't offering anything, so if I go there I'm going to wind up with a ton of debt.
So the question is, is it worth going to Columbia even if it means going into debt? Does having the name on my resume mean that much more than BU that it will pay off?

Extra details, if they mean anything: my reach schools were Caltech and Columbia, my "fit" schools were Boston U, Kalamazoo, University of Iowa, and UC Santa Cruz, and my safety schools were Grove City College and Harding U (applied to those safeties to make my conservative family happy). I got into everything except Caltech. I had an A-/B+ average, high test scores, and lots of extracurriculars.
>>
>>65996814
you dun goof'd
>>
>>65996814
What would Yamatsuka Eye do?
>>
>>65996814
wrong board. However, I would take a debt free education over Colombia any day. The "better" education is good, but you can make your career anywhere. Your effort means more than the school who gave you a degree.
>>
>>65996838
Screech and make tape loops
>>
>>65996814
WOW
>>
>>65996838
Kalamazoo
>>
>>65996835
ah, indeed. As you can guess by the image, I went to this board out of habit

>>65996843
that's a good point

>>65996850
>>65996864
good answers
>>
>>65996913
I really can't emphasize it enough. You make your career more than your school does. This is coming from someone who went to a really great school and then had to hit the reset button at a shitty public school because he couldn't stop being a fuck. My life is better now after moving schools because I got my shit together, and in the end going to a good school didn't mean that much.
>>
>>65996814
columbia, if you can get any help from your parents or if they (columbia) are like harvard and have a very generous repayment program. you'll meet more interesting people, and get pushed harder. bu is the easy way out.

congrats.
>>
>>65996814

STAY OUT OF DEBT

The market is in serious flux. In case you haven't noticed, Trump is planning a junkyard dog fight/race to the bottom as automation wipes out more and more jobs. Finland is moving towards basic income. We're on the eve of a radical shift, whether that be "post-work" or a retrograde primitivism

The point of this is that what that sheepskin you're getting will be worth is subject to highly variable change. Unless you're planning on being an engineer, you will very likely be getting a job totally unrelated to your degree. Don't start your adult life with a millstone of debt (which you can't default on!) around your neck. Boston University is a fine school.

The only argument I could see for Columbia is the networking benefits. If you went there you might very well rub shoulders with the next Obama or something. If you're a social butterfly (I'm not. I go to school of about Kalamazoo's caliber and I've made zero helpful contacts over three years) you might be able to meet someone who can set you up for life
>>
What is your intended major?

Either way, Columbia. It;s a much better school. It's so much further ahead in rankings. NYC always has way more going on in it than Boston, especially for music. Yes, I'm negating the Berklee scene, that odeon;t even compare to NYC.
>>
>>65997010

You fucked around and failed out of a good school. That has nothing to do with careers. Schools very much matter in certain fields/locations.
>>
>>65996814
Boston University. It's a very fine school and you will have no debt. I went to fancy schools (Did a semester at Princeton for political science graduate courses but I attend the LSE) and it was super super overrated. Sure having an ivy league qualification would be great for your CV but that should be a secondary consideration.

There is nothing you can't learn in an undergraduate program at a state school that you couldn't learn at a private university.

On top of that Boston is a nice city and has an interesting punk scene (New England in general is super underrated particularly Rhode Island and Amherst). Everything in New York seems to be getting turned out by land developers and slumlords.
>>
Thanks everybody! I did wind up making this thread in /adv/, but this one's actually been much more successful, and you have given me useful feedback.

The pro-BU people make strong points about the value of work/achievement over the actual school, though the pro-Columbia people also make an interesting case for the environment and the kind of people I'd meet there
>>
I am about to be a sophomore in BU so I'll throw my two cents in.

BU has a pretty cool music scene with all the Allston house shows and shit (esp if you are into punk) and there is definitely cool things to do around Boston. The jazz situation is also pretty lit. Some classes are really intense and you learn a fuckton, while others are a total waste of time and money. The people here are pretty basic/boring for the most part imo and it takes time to dig out and get to know interesting individuals (probably coming across as a dick rn) A good amount of drug use going on, if you are into that, but the party scene is kinda meh

However, being from NYC, I do agree that NYC is a much more interesting and exciting city to live in. Boston is as expensive as NYC, yet only has a fraction of what NYC can offer. Colubmia is much more respected institution than BU. Even if they are somehow equal in terms of academics (which I highly doubt), if I really could, I would go to Columbia just for connections and rich friends and stuff. NYC also has an amazing food scene and shit that's open till mad late, which I really miss in Boston.

I ended up going to BU though, because I didn't wanna live at home with my mom if I stayed in a school in NY lol. It was tough at first, but I don't regret it and eventually everything fell into right places for me. If you do pick BU, holla at me OP :)
>>
>>65998763
Hmm... thanks, interesting to know. My favorite music is jazz and punk-related things like noise rock, skramz, and deathrock, so what you say is promising.
Unfortunate about the boring people. I'll be honest, I'm not into drugs but I do like partying. I also like good food (who doesn't?) and I do like going out late, so that could be a drawback about BU, but I have heard good things about Boston's seafood, which I love.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.