[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was this ignored in the states? Was it because of the religious
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2
File: lte.jpg (61 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
lte.jpg
61 KB, 500x500
Why was this ignored in the states? Was it because of the religious imagery?
>>
Ya that was probably why
>>
Probably because of the shitty cover and the religious imagery.
>>
I wanna check out more by this band because the one song I heard was great but this looks like a parody of 2000s southern hip hop covers
>>
>>65993336
It looks like a country album, so it puts off the people that might have actually liked it.

But the country people wouldn't like this either since it's shoegaze.
>>
don't judge a book by its cover is such an awful saying

this album is a great example of great content wrapped in a horrendous package and it suffers because of it
>>
>>65993578
Trust me, listen to it. For a double album, it's a pretty quick listen. I would say Josh T. Pearson is one of the best vocalists and lyricists the shoegaze genre ever had. They also released an EP in 1997 that is pretty good and Pearson released a solo album in 2011 that is great.
>>
>>65993600
...?
you're contradicting yourself
>>
>>65993634
I feel this album is a lot longer than it needed to be. A lot of the songs are just the same idea, and that gets tiring after the third time.
>>
>>65993336
>>65993634
holy shit this is amazing

is there any more shoegaze that sounds like this?
>>
>>65993747
After listening to the album religiously (kek) for a few months I think this is pretty true. A lot of the songs have the same idea and it just kind of blends together. First half is strong but it wears out on the last half, plus that silly gimmick of having a 20+ minute track with like 15 minutes of silence.
>>
>>65993779
Yeah, that part really annoyed me too, and the worst part of all is that the pay off after the 15 minutes isn't even worth it.
>>
>>65993645
yeah i guess, i'm just trying to say appearance and the way you or an object is presented to the world is incredibly important
>>
>>65993747
>>65993779
The reason is because it's supposed to be one long poem. That's how Pearson wrote it, so it makes sense that it repeats themes.

>>65993778
Unfortunately, no. GY!BE is the closest I can think of, but it's still different. I consider The Texas Jerusalem Crossroads to be one of the most important albums in the shoegaze genre and I'm glad the band is back to save it.
>>
>>65993815
that is very true. the first time I saw this album cover I actually laughed out loud. if it had a cover that befitted its quality it would be considered a landmark of the genre by more people
>>
>>65993800
>>65993779
The live versions make more sense.
>>
>>65993864
Even if it's supposed to be one long poem, that doesn't make for a very engaging music experience.
>>
>>65993864
>Unfortunately, no. GY!BE is the closest

what the fuck? GY!BE has a shoegaze ep or something?
>>
>>65993778
what aspects of it are you looking for in other music?
>>
>>65993899
GY!BE has a lot of shoegaze elements, especially on their recent albums. even older stuff like Lift Yr. Skinny Fists has experimental sections that can be created with shoegazing techniques.

as far as the actual sound, I'd say he was referring to the kind of ethereal/spiritual sound with religious overtones that GY!BE has going on
>>
>>65993882
Explain?

>>65993897
Still going to agree - I enjoyed the album immensely but after a few plays it just gets stale and becomes a bit of a chore to listen to.

Waiting to Hit and Cloud 9 are great, though.

>>65993778

Pearson's solo stuff is good, too. Not shoegaze but obviously similar in many respects.
>>
Live footage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mcLcStD8xI

Remixed version from the anniversary edition coming out later this year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhKDw7-8nPo
>>
>>65994019
More info on the anniversary edition?
>>
>>65993947
I mean the kind of droning, swirling, ethereal guitar sound. I know that applies to pretty much all shoegaze, but this album has a pretty unique take on it that I've never heard before even though I'm a pretty big fan of the genre

so basically, any shoegaze recs with a similar guitar sound? the songwriting is also fantastic
>>
>>65993897
>>65994009
You both are welcome to have your own opinions. I personally don't find it a chore at all to listen to.

>>65994009
>Explain?
The live versions don't have the 15 minute gap and the song and the storm section are played together, so it makes more sense. I guess you could say that the 15 minute wait is for the listener to enter the storm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M3JohqmON0

>Pearson's solo stuff is good, too. Not shoegaze but obviously similar in many respects.
Underrated guitar player and his solo album shows it for sure.
>>
>>65994137
All I know is it's coming out in the fall. I also think they are going to do more shows and finish their proposed trilogy. The Texas Jerusalem Crossroads was supposed to be the first.
>>
>>65993336
This is slightly better than Loveless. Fite me.
>>
>>65994163
You might like Weed
https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/weed_f2
>>
>>65994232
I honestly agree
>>
>>65994232
That's true, but Loveless is only like a 6/10
>>
>>65994226
Given its length it's not a huge slog, but that damn silence is annoying to sit through.

>>65994226
Interesting. I wonder how much it will be for the vinyl set.
>>
>>65994155
Check out Pearson's solo stuff. The material he wrote between Lift To Experience and the release of his 2011 album are interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KomSoPIfcxo

Here's his 2011 stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBCrKy8dm0U
>>
>>65994401
>Given its length it's not a huge slog, but that damn silence is annoying to sit through
I can understand that. I usually fast forward through it.

>Interesting. I wonder how much it will be for the vinyl set
Probably $40 US I bet. It would be worth it though.
>>
File: wrong.png (176 KB, 1207x375) Image search: [Google]
wrong.png
176 KB, 1207x375
This annoyed me. Basically their argument boiled down to "these songs are too long and it sounds like he's rambling." The lyrics are brilliant.
>>
>>65994520
>this annoyed me

well that is why you shouldn't read pitchfork
>>
>>65993336
thank you OP, I might have just discovered my new favorite shoegaze album

too bad the cover sucks
>>
>>65993336
Did Pen & Pixel designed this artwork?
>>
>>65994401
I actually edited it to have the silence removed. I do that for everything with a hidden track that requires a massive silence to hide.
>>
its pretty popular on here

it has the same cult of fishmans
>>
>>65997317
What does that even mean?
>>
>>65997485
Can you shut the fuck up a minute?
>>
>>65993336
Is there an alternative cover for this?
>>
so this is happening http://mute.com/artists/lift-to-experience-2
>>
>>65997726
I was just about to ask for the same thing. Christ, this is one horrid looking image.
>>
>>65993336
The disgusting album cover.
It looks like the mighty boosh made a southern hip hop record
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.