[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your opinion on disco? https://www.youtube.com/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 5
File: beegees.jpg (77 KB, 768x600) Image search: [Google]
beegees.jpg
77 KB, 768x600
What's your opinion on disco?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQPBk0RD8d0
>>
Chic, Georgio, and Sparks are all pretty cool.
>>
An unholy alliance of faggots and niggers.
>>
I love disco Bee Gees and disco ABBA
other than though I don't know any disco other than this cool beat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naSC2qhX6nU
>>
>>65971178
>edgelord from 1979 detected
>>
which of the Gibb brothers do you think is the hottest?
>>
>>65971234
definitely not maurice
>>
>>65971109
It's like funks gay relative. I don't mind it, some of it is pretty fun. I like the use of strings on some tracks. Nile Rogers is amazing, ohhh and I LOVE Boney M. Bjork's apparently a huge Boney M fan too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLzqMJQzzcA
>>
>>65971178
Hey Steve Dahl
>>
File: R-1078999-1244554477.jpeg.jpg (91 KB, 600x592) Image search: [Google]
R-1078999-1244554477.jpeg.jpg
91 KB, 600x592
space disco a best
>>
>>65971302
goddamn this song is badass, had to start this shit from the top. nice
>>
>>65971302
>funk's gay relative

pretty much lol.

I love funk and disco though, I feel like that kind of music helped to undo the ennui of the early 70s
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDnhDixIfaE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfngnf0gvn0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcag6h8FKSM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLyLwMDBbOE

The best music to ever exist.
>>
>>65971234
Definitely Robin
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfZeoJP8xqo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BzWr9khDlE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDuLveILpso

whats the point of other music DESU
>>
I feel bad for Barry, all of his brothers being dead
>>
>>65971302
Boney M was legit as fuck.
[spoiler]She also has a top tier christmas album that I play every year[/spoiler]
>>
Why isn't pop music produced this well anymore?
>>
>>65971706
there are some good pop songs here and there

I think the last few years have been good for pop music
>>
I love pink floyd
>>
>>65971731
You what? This year for top 40 pop has been awful. At least 2000s garbage like LMFAO had a couple catchy shitty tunes.
>>
>>65972035
I'm really talking more like 2013 to 2015

Last year the Weeknd and Fetty Wap had some good songs
>>
Disco sucks amirite guise xD
>>
>>65972072
sure beats much of the horrible 80s rock and roll that replaced it
>>
>>65972035
One Dance is god tier.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDxhugRKZ8g

This is what got me into my recent disco binge
>>
>>65972035
LMFAO is 2010s garbage
>>
I think Christgau was one of the few pro-disco music critics back then; most of them were too busy burning piles of Donna Summer records along with the other low IQ hotheads.
>>
>>65972277
were the anti-disco people back then the equivalent of insecure racial autists on 4chan?
>>
>>65972277
Christgau is a hack though. He rejects the idea of metal completely.
>>
Donna Summer's daughters are hot
>>
>>65972311
basically
>>
>>65972311
Kind of. They're the same idiots who some years later lost their shit when Aerosmith collabed with Run DMC.
>>
>>65971109
What is disco?
>>
>>65972326
>caring about meal past the age of 13
I shiggidy diggidy.
>>
>>65972416
>>65972423
I wonder if they're furious that rap music is now most likely the most popular genre of music for white kids, and rap songs are regularly charting in the top 10
>>
>>65972454
No one cares about memerap other than guys like you.
>>
>>65972277
Well...that was at a time when rock had turned into prog bloat and lost any semblance of pop. The rockists were asshurt at the dominance of disco on the radio while being too retarded to realize that it was the fault of the genre in the first place for becoming un-danceable.

There was an early interview with the BBC that David Lee Roth gave during Van Halen's 78 Europe tour in which he said "Van Halen makes rock-and-roll that you can dance to." He seemed genuinely concerned about disco which seems almost laughable in retrospect since by the time he said that, disco was already a star swelling into a red giant and about to go supernova.
>>
>>65972559
I don't care about it that much but I don't get butthurt over it

I'll admit though, I like some of Fetty's stuff
>>
>>65972277
Also he was just about the only critic that liked Madonna S/T. Most contemporary reviews shit on that album hard.
>>
>>65972562
How was disco killed so quickly (probably by 1980 or so)?
>>
>>65972603
Abbey Road's contemporary reviews were mixed and now it's considered one of the greatest albums of all time
>>
>>65972606
The backlash during 1979 became so bad that the record industry quickly disowned disco, however the demise of it was exaggerated anyway. Disco didn't "go" anywhere, it just gradually evolved into new dance styles. Thriller and Madonna's early albums were all obviously still disco, in fact the basic disco sound did not go out of dance music until the 90s rave era.

Also the economic downturn that started in mid-79 played a part in the bursting of the disco bubble.
>>
File: kc.png (9 KB, 1187x66) Image search: [Google]
kc.png
9 KB, 1187x66
>>
Somewhat related, I'm glad for funk/funk inspired music because it helped replace the early 70s wannabe CSNY folk/country stuff
>>
>>65972562
>>65972277
That's not to defend Christgau's position entirely because he was still a contrarian retard in a lot of ways, especially because when you did have rock groups who did good-time-fun party music like Kiss, AC/DC, and Van Halen, he just dismissed them as misogynistic heavy metal garbage or whatever words he used.
>>
>>65972669
I also read that disco was less profitable for the music industry than rock or something like that.

But good point about disco not going anywhere, a lot of 80s music clearly resembles disco.

It's just like how a bunch of music historians claim that psychedelic rock died by 1969, when in reality it didn't.
>>
>>65972703
That is also true that the disco era brought about the end of all that hippie/post hippie/country rock crap. Most of those bands became irrelevant and in the case of the Eagles, they cleverly switched to a mainstream radio rock sound with One Of These Nights, which was back when disco was still in its infancy.
>>
>>65972750
>I also read that disco was less profitable for the music industry than rock or something like that.
They horribly over-invested it in and were rushing to sign as many disco acts as possible, not thinking in their shortsightedness that it was just a fad that would soon be on the way out.
>>
>>65972710
It's amusing to psychoanalyze the guy from reading his reviews/columns. I notice he's ok most of the time with female singers or blacks performing sex songs (not Britney Spears though, lyl) but he gets butthurt when it's white males doing it.

So to play armchair psychologist, I'm guessing bands like Van Halen triggered some deep-seated insecurity in Christgau that he (as a white male) can't match up to their sexual prowess.
>>
Gets a bad rap. It's just dance music, nothing more.
>>
>>65972750
>It's just like how a bunch of music historians claim that psychedelic rock died by 1969, when in reality it didn't.
No of course not, all of early 70s rock guitar was post-psychedelic.
>>
>>65972035
>This year for top 40 pop has been awful.
>top 40 pop
There's your problem then. Look for pop music outside of top 40.
>>
>>65971563
Barry has sucked all the life force from his brothers. Now he is forever.
>>
>>65972766
I think a lot of the hippies who weren't CSNY dickriders actually joined in on the funk/disco fun.

I find most of that soft acoustic shit from the early 70s to be really boring, I wonder why that seemed to have replaced hard rock as the hippie music of choice.

As a matter of fact, the whole disco scene is the hippie dream lived out when you think about it.
>>
>>65972937
Ah yeah, Christgau hated the hell out of all those California hippie bands except the Grateful Dead. Some of his reviews of David Crosby et al are hilarious.
>>
>>65972912
And many of the elements of psychedelic rock remained in much of rock music.

Sure you might not have seen many blatantly psychedelic albums that much after 1968, but the style of guitar playing and other elements of the genre lived on. Funk is sort of like psychedelic rock on steroids.
>>
>>65972937
>I find most of that soft acoustic shit from the early 70s to be really boring, I wonder why that seemed to have replaced hard rock as the hippie music of choice

Actually it was just an extension of early 60s folkies.
>>
>>65972973
>>65972937
Neil Young's guitar is the only thing that makes those albums listenable.
>>
>>65972973
lol I'll admit that I like CSNY but I feel like they're responsible for a bad sea change in hippie music. The GD sound from 67-69 was way better than anything that came after it in my opinion, and Jerry abandoned much of their early work, some of which is easily their best. Their sound from 1970 on I find to be pretty boring.

I heard that David Crosby himself suggested that GD go in that direction.
>>
>>65973033
And Neil Young easily had the best solo career after that. Southern Man for instance, is actually a really good song.

>>65973016
The folk music was always there, but it by the end of the 60s it seemed to have replaced blues rock as the stereotypical hippie music.

Of course artists like Hendrix and the Doors were still doing hard blues rock, though.
>>
>>65972936
Gibb noted, “Andy wanted to be a Bee Gee, but he was a little too young. We never thought of ourselves as Bee Gees—we thought of ourselves as the four brothers. Me being the eldest, I was always watching out for the rest of them. And I miss them very much. I always imagined we would sit around in our 80s and laugh and joke. But it just didn’t work out that way. I think I’ve had enough of death to last me a lifetime.”
>>
>>65973067
No crap, he was the only of those guys with any talent. Crosby, Stills, and Nash's solo work (and collabs minus Neil) were a bad joke.

David Crosby is an old fried drugbag, Stills is a smug, woman-hating douchenozzle, and Nash lol.
>>
Stephen Stills performed at my dad's college in 75 and he told some dude in the audience who was talking to shut the hell up.

Well, my dad wasn't actually at the show, someone else told him about it.
>>
>>65973095
Andy was an adult by the time the Bee Gees were doing disco
>>
>>65971302
This song is pretty dope, "Rasputin" is less dope
>>
>>65973134
I don't know why there's still turmoil in CSN, you would think that dudes in their 70s would have gotten over their differences by now

They recently broke up, probably due to David Crosby being an asshole
>>
>>65973289
>recently broke up
They haven't made an album in 18 years!
>>
>>65973338
but they toured until recently

I saw a show of theirs in 2011, it was a really good show but the crowd was boring
>>
>>65973393
>the crowd was boring

>bunch of aging hippies with fried brain cells from decades of abusing various...substances
>>
>>65973393
I saw them as CSNY. CSN sat in chairs the entire time playing their acoustic guitars while Young was up around the stage headbanging and rocking out guitar solos
>>
>>65973492
Well I went to Furthur shows and there were aging hippies smoking weed and dancing
>>
>>65973493
that's actually hilarious, I can picture that

Stephen Stills is a good electric guitarist too, though
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disco_Demolition_Night
Rockists versus disco
>>
>>65973529
Beta rock autists taking their anger on superior disco music
>>
>>65973493
And now you know why Neil's the only real talent there.

I give you DC at least seems to have a sense of humor about himself like when he appeared on the Simpsons also he's a very active social media user.
>>
>>65972606
it became extremely repetitive in the 80s due to synth and drum machines taking over. Some took advantage of it (like the space or italo disco producers which helped disco survive and actually sort of thrive in Europe in the early 80s) but many overused it.
Then RnB influenced pop came arround, which seemed a bit more fresh.
Hip hop becoming a thing by the mid 80s was the final nail in the coffin as it was both better as dance music and as party music.
>>
>>65973652
but were white people really listening to hip hop in 1985?
>>
>>65973682
Nope.
They weren't listening to disco in its early years either.
>>
>>65973579
Also he was going around in Sex Pistols T-shirts while the rest of his peers were all like "Welp, the dream is over. Put away your acid and love beads."
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.