[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it so good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 230x355) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 230x355
Why is it so good?
>>
>>65955783
I don't think it really is.

The wordplay is good, and it's a unique musical. But it's a cultural phenomenon now. Michelle Obama called it the best piece of art she'd ever seen, and that sort of admiration seems completely ridiculous.
>>
>>65955832
It's because it's a lowbrow/ middlebrow that is friendly to everyone (whites, blacks, gays, trannies, etc)

It's very "safe" and corporate
>>
Miranda here, AMA
>>
>>65955865
>>>/pol/
>>
Genuinely excellent wordplay and lyricism, and a mostly black cast playing white historical roles is a change of pace for Broadway.

I wouldnt call that a gimmick because generally black people and rhyme and rap better than white people haha.

But to me, the music isn't all that interesting and neither is the story. It's been overblown big time
>>
>>65955932
What? How am I /pol/? I don't go on /pol/. Are you insinuating that what I said was racist in any sense? If so, you misinterpreted it at the base level - the president and his wife have to keep up a public image, and don't want to risk alienating anyone. Ergo, they pick the safest and least exclusive (intellectually and spiritually) play.
>>
>>65955865
don't use the word 'trannies' please
>>
>>65955783
Because there is nothing that sums up the 21st century American Popular Leftist cultural zeitgeist more perfectly than a "race blind", trans-inclusive musical with inoffensive hip-hop-esque music that celebrates a revisionist history of the life and times of the man who set the stage for the creation of the Federal Reserve.
>>
>>65955991
Fine, transgendered and genderfluid, etc.

My point still stands.
>>
>>65956012
My idea is "Douglass", a revisionist musical about the life and times of Frederick Douglass, featuring a "race blind" all-white cast and music written by such titans of modern-day pop-country as Florida Georgia Line and Toby Keith.
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 410x281) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 410x281
>>65955901
How did it feel being in a room with a better actor than you
>>
>>65955991
it's stupid to get offended by usage of a word

censorship is the first step to a safe, non expanding boundary of society
>>
>>65955783
I mean, the score is generally well written, and I think it deserves praise, but not the overhyped fanatic fanbase that it has. The main thing I hate about Hamilton is how it drowned most of the other shows that started their run at about the same time, see American Psycho, Tuck Everlasting, etc.
>>
>>65956012
>blaming "21st century American Popular Leftist cultural zeitgeist" for race blindness
>not understanding neoliberalism

enjoy your shit tier university famm
>>
>>65956300
This All The Way.
It even managed to out-hype David Bowie's Musical "Lazarus"
>>
>>65956365
True. And a lot of people use the defense that those shows closed "because they were bad" when American Psycho had very favorable reviews for it's Original London Cast production
>>
>>65955932

he's right, and I say that as someone who loves the play.

>>65955832

>Michelle Obama called it the best piece of art she'd ever seen

jesus christ

I literally only listened because it has Daveed Diggs. I wasn't expecting much because I had no idea how popular it was until AFTER I listened--nobody fucking cares about plays/musicals where I am except back when that Les Misrelables movie came out.
>>
>>65956460
Theatre is having an oddly growing prominence with the progressive youth. Conservatives seem to hate it, mainly because most of the content supports leftist idealism.
>>
>>65956293
It's not censorship if using a word makes you sound like a child and people call you out on it
>>
>>65956293
>somebody personally asking you to not be an asshole equals "you're killing my free speech"

Autism

That anon isn't forcing you to do anything
>>
>>65955783
Because clppng.
>>
>>65956519
it is censorship if someone says to not say a word

it doesn't matter if a word is childish, you shouldn't be banned from saying anything, where does it stop, you're basically being told what to think
>>65956542
I'm personally asking you to not call me autistic, it makes you seem like an insensitive asshole

see how it works
>>
>>65956635
Hey, just joining in here, but-
Free speech is the ability to think and say anything you want. It goes both ways. If someone disagrees with what you say and/or is offended, they have the right to voice that.
>>
>>65956635
>see how it works

No, because if it genuinely hurt your feelings I wouldn't call you autistic. But it doesn't, because you don't have feelings, because you're fucking autistic.
>>
>>65956635
wew lad no one is talking about a ban here quit being an alarmist baby. You also just said you were offended by someone calling you autistic and you stick to your guns on using the word "tranny"? What's your goal here man? You just believe so strongly in being offensive that you think that someone politely telling you not to use a word is "violating your free speech?"

Unrelated: Hamilton is fun as fuck and I just bought tickets.
>>
>>65956755
true, they can, and I'm using my free speech to say it is stupid to be offended by anything
>>65956781
that argument is as good as me saying your argument isn't valid because you are literally retarded

it's an easy attack and doesn't add anything
>>65956837
>reading comprehension
I'm not offended by him calling me autistic, I'm comparing it to the person asking the other guy to not say tranny

seriously, work on context clues
>>
File: 1375856173249.jpg (94 KB, 450x495) Image search: [Google]
1375856173249.jpg
94 KB, 450x495
>>65955991
nu male detected
>>
>>65956906
>I'm not offended by him calling me autistic

So then >>65956781 called your bluff that you weren't actually upset by being called autistic, so it wasn't at all comparable since "tranny" is a term that upsets people.

What exactly is your plan.
>>
>>65957044
crashing this thread with no survivors
>>
>>65957044
I was saying it's contradictory to agree that I shouldn't say trannies when asked because it's assholish, yet he called me autistic, which could be offensive

not that I was legitimately offended by being called autistic by some tranny white knight
>>
File: image.jpg (454 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
454 KB, 1280x720
>>65957072
>I just wanted to talk about the musical
>>
>>65956906
enjoy your insensitivity, your "redpilled" beliefs and your new edginess inspired by internet feelings that value isolation over human-kindness.
>>
>>65956906
>true, they can, and I'm using my free speech to say it is stupid to be offended by anything
You may feel that, but I disagree. You don't get offended by things, which is respectable in its own right because it means you're a levelheaded person. But others do, and I believe we should respect that.
>>
>>65957171
I did, but no one replied to me then. Let's talk about musicals.
>>
Post top 3 songs in any order

>Alexander Hamilton
>Satisfied
>Non-Stop
>>
>>65957178
appealing to weak willed people doesn't benefit anyone

whining about feelings doesn't mean anything besides showing people's fragile sensibilities

please work on your argumentative skills instead of spouting personal attacks and baseless assumptions, it doesn't progress anything
>>65957218
>we should respect that.
maybe, maybe I am just an confrontational asshole as well

I guess what I was looking for was a decent argument and you gave one, thank you
>>
>>65957128
The two words have very different levels of vitriol behind them, but I'm not really tryna get into all of that right now since the threads been derailed enough.

I understand where your sentiment is coming from. You don't want "PC culture" to turn into thought policing culture accepted by the mainstream culture, but at the same time I hope you recognize that there's no need to deliberately and casually use virulent terms, much less defend that usage.
>>
>>65957318
The claim that only a "weak willed" person is offended due to their own fragile sensibilities isn't furthering your argument. You're basically saying that the people that you're insulting have no value because they aren't as smart or as tough as you because you don't get offended. All I'm trying to say to you is that there are people who are different from you and there is no fucking reason to alienate them based on things they can't change. I'm not saying there's some sort of moral or intellectual truth to be understood here. I'm just saying there is value in not being a fucking asshole to people you know nothing about using a word that's been used by similar assholes throughout history to keep things at the status quo created by people who hold similar beliefs to you anon. There's nothing wrong with being a nice person and listening to someone when they say that a word makes them offended. None of the inches of your penis are repealed by yielding to someone's feelings. There's not value in sticking to your guns and being an asshole because you feel like that's your right. Of course you have the right to be an asshole but I don't really see a reason why you would want to exercise that right.
>>
>>65957291
>Burn
>What'd I Miss
>That Would Be Enough
>>
I've been hovering on seeing it for a while now.

At first I was interested in it, but around the time the new clipping album came out and damn near every article I saw about it would say some shit like "featuring Daveed Diggs from the HIT MUSICAL HAMILTON™" it became one of those situations where I got more frustrated with how now I won't be able to check out anything from Daveed without being in the wake of a flock of Hamilton fans.
>>
>>65956519
What happened with "I don't agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it"? Are you guys actually liberals or are you full-blown Marxists? You know in a worker's revolution you guys will be the first to the gallows with your fancy music and your internet.
>>
>>65957494
that entire wall of text was basically "I want to feel superior to you because I think you think that you're superior to specific people." In which case you missed my point entirely
>>65957471
you did get my point, thanks, but I don't believe we should use or need to use these potentially harmful words, just that they shouldn't be completely banned. On what basis should you listen to someone when they ask for you to not use a word? If someone said, "Please don't say the word 'Black'", would you listen to them? Obviously the word tranny is a lot different but tghe situation isn't. It is a potentially offensive word, but everyone is unique, a d every word is possibly offensive. Then the argument comes down to, "Don't be an asshole." Which is agreeable but also completely subjective. It's all a personal basis.
>>
>>65957670
Why the fuck do you think that free speech means that you can just say whatever you want to other humans, who also have the right to free speech, without them possibly being offended by it or telling you it's impolite to say such a thing. It's not like pioneer liberals went around without a basic code of manners.
>>
>>65957646
pretty stupid reason to deny yourself something
>>
>>65957770
words are different from actions, sure you wouldn't just go around calling everyone a nigger faggot, but if someone got personally hurt by that, then they need to deal with it
>>
>>65957670
Stop censoring that anon's opinion
>>
>>65957810
don't use the word "stupid" please
>>
>>65957738
I don't think anyone really wants words banned when they say "Don't say that.", but are moreso trying to get across that what was just said was in poor taste and that for the sake of (what is, in their opinion) decency.

And it all comes down to a case by case basis, like with "autistic" earlier. If I was using that casually and someone feigned offense, I wouldn't care, but if it were someone who actually was autistic or someone who was very close to people with autism, I'd reconsider using that term around them, and in general since I would have seen first hand how that term could be hurtful.
>>
>>65958149
I guess I do agree and follow that for the most part, I would never call an actual mentally disabled person a retard because it's incredibly rude

I dunno, I guess I dislike when perfectly able and functioning people get offended by words that have nothing to do with them
>>
>>65957291
>Guns and Ships
>Satisfied
>Non-Stop
Honourable mention
>My Shot
>>
>>65957860
Ok
>>
>>65958319
That's usually because while they're not part of the demographic, they empathize with them enough on some level (due to them having a relative, close friend, significant other, etc.) that they know how harmful things that that could be.

But there are definitely the people who go too far with it, like the people you see on tumblr who say shit like "I'm X so I can't have an opinion about things pertaining to Y people.", which to me is extremely patronizing even though I know they mean well. But that too is case by case and pretty easy to identify.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.