[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Illmatic is a masterpiece there's no doubt about that. Do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3
Illmatic is a masterpiece there's no doubt about that. Do you think it actually hurt Nas's career that it was his first album? I find it quite sad that everything else he's ever dropped gets overlooked or compared to Illmatic.

It was Written, Stillmatic, God's Son, The Lost Tapes, Life is Good, I Am are all great albums
>>
Is using the It Was Written image like a joke I'm not in on or something?

God's Son is a "great" album. I can't say that about anything else other than the obvious Illmatic
>>
>>65936797
are you serious? It Was Written is almost Illmatic tier
>>
Stillmatic should have ended after The Flyest. Every single track up that song is 10/10
>>
He fell into the trap of too many producers, too many guests, bragging about his money, etc.

Illmatic had a purity to it because it was cohesive, and he wrote it before he was rich and famous.

Plus what's the deal with him referencing it repeatedly on his other albums? Like a line from a verse on Illmatic might be referenced in the chorus of a single on another album (Thief's Theme). Also he called another album Stillmatic, lol.
>>
>>65936797
It's his second best album and it's really not even close, the fuck?
>>
He's got a one hot album every ten year average
>>
>>65937977
Ether > Takeover
>>
>>65937889
his other albums are still great. It Was Written has a bunch of classic tracks. Stillmatic is amazing up until Braveheart Party
>>
>>65938147
Lol nah
>>
>>65938189
you're an idiot
>>
>>65937889
he doesn't even feature that many people on his other albums. As for the content it didn't really turn to bragging. ahe kept the street conscient content althrough. don't know what you listened to
>>
https://youtu.be/W_YBk-HI6ow

What's your favorite unreleased Nas Track?
>>
>>65938277
https://youtu.be/jtD0dGS9CcQ
>>
illmatic sucks honestly no idea why it gets the hype it gets
>>
>>65938391
>every beat is 10/10
>Nas spits straight fire the entire album with an amazing flow
>not a single dull moment on the entire album
>album flows perfectly together
>absolutely no filler
>>
It Was Written and I Am are both 5/10-tier and only remembered fondly because they were his commercial peak.
>>
>>65938512
I Am isn't remembered very fondly in my experience and at least It Was Written has some classic tracks. It's probably not as good as the "10/10 most underrated thing in existence, better than Illmatic" people say but I do think it deserves some credit as good NY hip-hop during that mafioso era
>>
>>65938512
>The Message
>Sweet Dreams
>I Gave you Power
>Take it in Blood
>Nas is Coming
>The Setup
>Suspect
>Shootouts
>If I Ruled the World

5/10, yeah okay
>>
>>65936758
He set the bar too high with illmatic, It was written was still good though. Weird thing for me is that I dont like listening to random tracks from it was written and have to listen to it in order or else it sounds weird to me. Probably the only album I that makes me do this
>>
>>65938391
Just curious, what album do you think lived up to its hype?
>>
>>65938741

Only 4 of those songs are even decent.
>>
Illmatic's a great album, but not as timeless as people make it out to be. Still, it was perfectly concise, flowed well, no weak albums, and ended on a strong note. His production quality on his albums have never been as consistent as they were on his first, and he's never kept his projects as short as this one (except for Lost Tapes, which was great). I think those two factors are holding him back.
>>
>>65936758
spice 1 is better
>>
>>65936758
> Life is Good
> Great album

>Said she don’t know what got inside this child’s mind, she planted
>A box of condoms on her dresser then she Instagrammed it

>Instagrammed it
>Instagram

...damn
>>
>>65942475
I don't understand, are you upset he mentioned instagram?

his daughter did actually post a box of condoms on instagram. What are you expecting him to call it?
>>
>>65942687
There used to be a time when rappers were cool.

Now Jay-Z, Kanye, Eminem and Nas all got kids. Daughters too. And they are basically dad rap.

Nas is just a shadow of what he used to be. Whenever one of these "rappers" releases an album, it's like watching an aged athlete keep playing a game they were once good at.

Lyrically, his albums are just trash. There are much better ways of relaying your frustrations. Anytime a rapper mentions facebook, twitter, instagram, tumblr or whatever in their raps, a the hairs on my neck stand. It's just sad. Really, really sad.

If you want to hear someone rap about their kids (daughters) and not sound cliche, you need to listen to Christopher Wallace.
>>
>>65942840
>Christopher Wallace
Why didn't you just say Biggie? Faggot.
>>
>>65942929

>madcuzhehadtogoogleit.jpg
>>
>>65943012
No I didn't, I'm just calling you out on a cringeworthy attempt at looking musically educated
>>
>>65943012
You didn't call Jay-Z, Nas, or Eminem by their first names then all of the sudden you're on a first name basis with Biggie. It's just weird, that's all, like if I brought up Ghostface and decided to call him Dennis Coles instead.
>>
>>65943121
well technically his actual name is Nas
>>
>>65943064
>>65943121

I can call them whatever I want, and it in no way beats away my arguments
>>
>>65943313
It doesn't, it just makes you look gay
>>
>>65943313
well it makes you look autistic so there's that
>>
>>65936758
I bought a South African CD copy of Life Is Good from Access Records in San Diego the other day.
>>
>>65943189
Well yeah, that's a shorter version of his real name so I guess he really doesn't apply quite as much, but you generally just refer to MCs by whatever name they perform under, it's not like you're talking about them as a personal acquaintance.

Plus, a single mention of a social media platform doesn't automatically equate to "shit lyrics." Of course, when rappers bring stupid twitter drama and the like into their lyrics it's generally never interesting, but the word "instagram" is not enough to discredit all of Nas' work in the past decade
>>
>>65942475
when I was talking instagram last thing you wanted was ya picture snapped
>>
>>65938203
Lol nah
>>
>>65938496
>not a single dull moment
>Implying "One Love" doesnt exist
>>
>stillmatic
>good
>>
>>65943462
>implying One Love is dull in the least

the worst song on the album is One time 4 Your Mind and it's still great
>>
>>65943462
One Love is a grower, the beat doesn't jump out and grab you right away but it really fits perfectly with the contemplative mood of the track and the letter gimmick is cool.
>>
>>65943480
>Ether
>Got Ur Self A...
>You're da Man
>Smokin
>Rewind
>One Mic
>2nd Childhood
>Destroy and Rebuild
>The Flyest

yeah it's good. I wish that was the entire album though. The rest kind of drag it down
>>
Illmatic - 9/10
It Was Written - 6/10
Nastradamus - 3.5/10
I Am... - 4.5/10
Stillmatic - 5/10
God's Son - 6.5/10
The Lost Tapes - 8.5/10
Hip-Hop Is Dead - 7/10
Untitled - 5.5/10
the double album I can't remember the name of - 5/10
Life Is Good - 4.5/10

Nas has 10/10 potential but refuses to do anything with it outside of Illmatic and The Lose Tapes
>>
>>65943542
Nas is always great lyrically. What ruins his songs/albums is production
>>
>>65943529
the way the verses gradually increase in complexity is astonishing
>>
File: CL3JbRjUsAAtUBP.jpg (5 KB, 254x254) Image search: [Google]
CL3JbRjUsAAtUBP.jpg
5 KB, 254x254
>>65943491
>The worst song on the album is One time 4 your mind
The fuck is wrong with you faggot, you need to get your fucking ears checked
>>
>>65943325
>>65943339
ok

>>65943427
just very cringe-worthy. and then he name drops the slut of our generation. it's sad. he's like 40 something...
>>
>>65945677
>mikescomedy

He isn't funny. Getting tired of le wacky nigerian accent
>>
File: 51oiclGPM-L[1].jpg (40 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
51oiclGPM-L[1].jpg
40 KB, 500x500
>>65936758
>Illmatic is a masterpiece there's no doubt about that.

Nas is a poor man's Rakim. You like music? Listen to this.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.