[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Her favorite filmmaker is Krzysztof Kieslowski and she loves
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 3
File: 960.jpg (63 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
960.jpg
63 KB, 960x540
Her favorite filmmaker is Krzysztof Kieslowski and she loves The Residents and Milton Babbit. Your favorite movie is Pulp Fiction and you love The Strokes and Modest Mouse.
>>
CLT please come save us
>>
>>65935467
Is Kieslowski supposed to be high art? He's "arthouse" for the mainstream crowd.
>>
>>65935566
the double life of veronique and the dekalog are 10/10, mate
>>
>>65935467
I literally hate all three of those things though
>>
>>65935467
what a pleb
>>
>>65935566
How do you get into "artsy" movies because I'm a giant movie pleb
>>
>>65936745
start with Kubrick, Tarkovsky, Godard, entry level shit like that. If you get bored force yourself to get to the end. Go into everything with a very open mind and really try to think and analyze what you're seeing. It's worth reading some film analysis and reviews as well.

Basically, watch some weirder shit, figure out what you like, but keep an open mind.
>>
how come her music is so bad tho?
>>
>>65936819
Thanks, will do. I wanted to check out Kubrick for a while now.
>>
>>65936745
Kubrick, Kurosawa, and Hitchcock (i know he's not art house, but he's a great gateway into old films)
>>
>>65936745
Honestly, go to /tv/. Some of the people there know an awful lot and there are charts and lists in abundance.

Also, I wouldn't listen to >>65936819, outside of the part about the reading. Kubrick is pleb shit and Tarkovsky really isn't everyone's cup of tea. Same goes for someone like Tarr. I personally dislike both and I've seen many people get turned off completely when first encountering their work. Some people will have you believe that slow, dreary and poetically vague = good, but don't listen to them.

I'd recommend starting with the french new wave. Godard and Truffaut in particular, but also Rozier and Chabrol. Finding your way through french film should be easy from there. Rivette and Varda are essential as well. Also the Czechoslovak new wave directors like Chytilova, Jires, Uher, Forman, Nemec, Herz...

But seriously, go to /tv/.
>>
>>65936842
She's intelligent enough to do the type of music that sells well amongst the masses.
>>
>>65937013
Oh, and if you find yourself having a hard time getting through films, I wouldn't recommend pushing on. Leave it, watch something else and revisit it later. You're not watching film to achieve something (I presume), but to figure out what you enjoy and why, then finding more of it. Of course, it's not all about enjoyment, but if you're finding nothing to appreciate or feeling as though the film is going over your head, what's the point?
>>
>>65937013
>Kubrick is pleb shit
what an absolutely terrible opinion fucking christ

accesible =/= bad
>>
>>65937073
kubrick is pleb shit
>>65936745
watch Chris Marker- sans soleil
it's really comfy
>>
>>65936745
Jim Jarmusch and Wes Anderson if you want cute girls
>>
>>65937073
>accesible =/= bad

That wasn't my point. Note that I go on to recommend several just as accessible directors...

Maybe I should have worded it differently, but I really don't think Kubrick is worth the time. Watch Hitchcock, Welles and Ophuls instead.
>>
>>65937103
>kubrick is pleb shit
woah hadn't thought about it like that, you really changed my mind

come on man, you wish you could make something 1/10 as good as 2001: A Space Odyssey or Barry Lyndon
>>
>>65937050
but not intelligent enough to make music thats actually good?
>>
>>65937103
>watch Chris Marker- sans soleil

This. Most of Marker's stuff is at the very least an interesting use of the medium. Sans Soleil and Le Joli Mai are personal favourites. Also the thing he did about Medvedkin, I forget the title.
>>
>>65937050
come on man, you're acting like she's Phill Collins or something

she had like 2 hits 6 years ago
>>
File: kike.jpg (47 KB, 562x482) Image search: [Google]
kike.jpg
47 KB, 562x482
>>65936819
>forcing yourself to like something because it's considered good art.
>>
>>65937268
where do you think you are?
>>
>>65936745
Another dumb question; What's the best way to watch movies for free? I don't want to pay for Netflix because it's pretty shitty in my country.
>>
>>65937486
stealing them ofc
>>
>>65937486
putlocker
>>
>>65937486
rutracker
>>
>>65935467
No that not my favorite movie and no those aren't my favorite artists.
>>
>>65937013
Don't listen to this guy
>>
>>65936745
Watch Pierrot Le Fou if you wanna try a Godard movie because that's the only good one I have seen of him.
Le Feu Follet and My Dinner with Andre from Louis Malle are quite good, and I'm sure Au Revoir les Enfants is too.
Un homme qui dort is also a nice French artsy movie. But even tho I have seen only one Chris Marker movie (Lettre de Sibérie) and the beginning of Sans Soleil, I suspect he is the most interesting French filmmaker because he and his life was a bit weird.
Trust me, I'm a frog eater who is successful with grills in art house galleries.
>>
>>65937617
Listen to this guy about what guys not to listen to
>>
>>65937617
>>65937655
Don't listen to these guys.
>>
>>65937623
>Un homme qui dort
Nice. Fuck the rest of this thread. Watch Cocteau, Terayama, Parajanov, Resnais, Jodorowsky, Yoshida.
>>
>>65937160
you missed the whole point dumbshit
>>
>>65935467
I fucking hate Modest Mouse
>>
>>65937691
Don't listen to this gay.
>>
>>65937948
All filmmakers I admire (sans Jodorowsky, perhaps), but keep in mind that the person who asked for recs isn't even into film. Good job on flexing your cinephile muscle, though.

>>65938039
Also, don't listen to this guy.
>>
>>65935467
She's got shit taste tbqh famalam
>>
>>65935467
I think Pulp Fiction, the Strokes, and Modest Mouse are fantastic. I also record GOOD music. Eat me Kesha.
>>
>>65937691
This fucking guy

Don't listen to him
>>
>>65939011
Don't listen to this guy.
>>
>>65939069
Don't listen to this guy I hear he's an avant teen
>>
>>65935566
you're trying too hard faggot
>>
>>65937268
>>65937268
It's not a question of forcing yourself to like something, it's about forcing yourself to open up to a different style and pacing. You don't have to like it. You can watch it in full and decide you hate it. All I'm saying is to take the entire film in and then decide what your opinion is. If you watch half and just turn it off you wont' be able to form a full opinion.
>>
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/kittenzmittenz/list_of_artists_kesha_listed_as_influences_on_her_myspace_page_in_2008/

She's literally more patrician than 90% of /mu/
>>
>>65939220
Not everyone feels the need to form an opinion on everything they watch.
>>
>>65939249
How does one get influenced by so much then end up making shitty radio pop?
>>
>>65937103
>kubrick is pleb shit

blocked faggot.
>>
>>65935566
>Is Kieslowski supposed to be high art?

I'm gonna OD on irony.
>>
I hate all of those things but I would let her choke me and suffocate under her asshole.
>>
Is she /mu/'s Sasha Grey?

I know Grey did a shitty industrial band but nobody ever talks about it .
>>
>>65937155
>but I really don't think Kubrick is worth the time.

Even if you can't find a single thing to like about his movies, the cultural significance alone makes them worth the time.
>>
>>65939373
This he is one of the most influential American directors
>>
File: gun.jpg (38 KB, 600x435) Image search: [Google]
gun.jpg
38 KB, 600x435
>>65937948

I don't really think Parajanov and the like are good suggestions for someone first getting into the medium. They're very visual people with little to no semblance to traditional film storytelling.

I think Tarkovsky and Kubrick are great directors for getting into artsier stuff because they manage to keep ahold of normal and easily followed plots while still having mindblowing visuals and cinematography. Color of Pomegranates would leave him confused and might turn him off of the medium.
>>
>>65939373
>the cultural significance alone makes them worth the time

I've never understood this argument. I mean, Adam Sandler is culturally significant. I think I see what you're getting at, though, and I disagree. Watching his influences is time better spent.
>>
>>65939282
Money
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.