[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pitchfork Values Politics over Music
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: Alice Cooper & Colonel Sanders.jpg (45 KB, 520x399) Image search: [Google]
Alice Cooper & Colonel Sanders.jpg
45 KB, 520x399
The subject line pretty much sums it up. I've been reading Pitchfork.com for years as a source of new music outside the genres I track. They have usually steered me right. But now they seem to be more motivated by promoting politically correct or SJW approved music over just good music.

Case in point, the new Nails record gets a 7.8, while Decibel gave it a 10 and are already calling it a possible album of the year. Then the trans hardcore band G.L.O.S.S.'s new record gets a 8.5 and Best New Music designation.

There is nothing wrong with G.L.O.S.S. or trans people being in a hardcore band, or any band, it's just that I can't hear their trans-ness, it doesn't make the music better knowing that queer people made it. But for some reason Pitchfork acts like it does.

I'm looking for a discussion. Someone please tell me how I'm wrong and how people's biography actually does make the music sound better, the choruses more catchy, the riffs more inventive.
>>
STOP GIVING PITCHFORK FUCKING VIEW FOR FUCKS SAKE, WHEN WILL YOU LEARN!!
>>
>>65909918
This, you have to just stop supporting their garbage. It's a black hole of parodic hipsterdom that their readers are blind to. Marxist trash
>>
>>65909918
>>65909983
But they have turned me onto good stuff before. I can pretty much filter out their bullshit and just get the good recommendations, but now it's all bullshit, or like 95%.
>>
>>65909983
And what sites should I read instead? And don't say Sputnik Music.
>>
>>65910036
I'm >>65909918
Then go to normanrecords, not a shilk or anything, but they are nowadays the only reviewers/storei read, they talk about music you will not find anywhere else. Youcan also sign up to their mail newsletter and they will tell you every album that releases every week, new reviews and recommendations
>>
>>65910084
I'm checking out their site and the look pretty good. Not that much metal, but I read Decibel for that. Thanks.
>>
if you want music criticism that functions beyond the hype/antihype paradigm which p4k so thoroughly embodies and perpetuates, your only option is scaruffi.
>>
>>65909899
been this way forever w/e
>>
>>65910166
No problemo, they are mostly a store anyways, take that into account. But i love their mail newsletter and their top of 2015 is most liked list from any reviewer
>>
>>65910191
But Pitchfork showed me The Dismemberment Plan, Ash Borer, Sleater-Kinney, Youth Code, Savages, Afghan Whigs, Lightning Bolt, and other stuff I can't remember now. So they have pumped out SJW bullshit for a while, but they also use to make good recommendations.
And they aren't even consistent. They kiss Kanye's ass even though he's a psychopath, yet they promote artists who have some of the values and characteristics Kanye shits on, if that makes sense.
>>
>>65910178
A quick google turned up Piero Scaruffi. Is that what you mean?
>>
>>65910337
yes

i'm not saying he's infallible but he consistently gives thoughtful analyses and is almost entirely immune to the hype/antihype cycle. plus you will definitely discover a lot of interesting music if you browse through his reviews.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.