[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Grand Funk Railroad
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: Grand_Funk_Railroad_-_On_Time.jpg (75 KB, 390x400) Image search: [Google]
Grand_Funk_Railroad_-_On_Time.jpg
75 KB, 390x400
Underated or just forgotten?
>>
Why not both?
>>
File: christgau1med.jpg (18 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
christgau1med.jpg
18 KB, 400x266
Grand Funk [Capitol, 1969]

This group is creating a stir apparently because they play faster than Iron Butterfly, which is a start. I saw them in Detroit a few months before their second album broke and found myself enjoying them for 5 minutes, tolerating them for 15, and hating them for 45. C+

E Pluribus Funk [Capitol, 1971]

The usual competent loud rock with the usual paucity of drive and detail. I'll admit, I'm actually touched by "People, Let's Stop The War". But it doesn't tell me anything I don't already know. C+
>>
>>65907497
They were my mom's first concert.
>>
My uncle used to be into them back in the day.

Also Kiss stole the intro of Detroit Rock City from Footstompin' Music.
>>
The Nickelback of the 70s. Were pretty huge in their day, but critics hated the hell out of them eg. >>65907620
>>
>>65907690
Nah REO Speedwagon were the Nickelback of the 70s. GFR weren't radio-friendly and actually they were a jam band more than AOR.
>>
>>65907620
Master of Reality [Warner Bros., 1971]

As an increasingly regretful spearhead of the great Grand Funk Railroad switch three years ago, in which I defined Grand Funk as a good old fashioned white boy blues band, even though I knew of no critics, myself included, who actually played the records. Grand Funk are American--dull. Black Sabbath are English--dull and decadent. I don't care how many rebels and incipient groovers are buying, I don't even care if the band actually believes their own Christian/liberal/Satanist muck. This is a dimwitted, amoral exploitation. C-
>>
Mark Farner is a huge Christfag nowadays.
>>
>>65907620
>Christgau
>not a pleb

pick one
>>
Another of the many early 70s powerhouses that succumbed to the punk/disco era and never came back. Among the victims--Blue Oyster Cult, Iggy Pop, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, and Uriah Heep.
>>
>>65907855
Grand Funk was a pretty pleb band. White trash teens went to their shows to get stoned and hear loud, thumping, working class rawk and that was that (Farner, Schacher, and Brewer were all from average blue collar upbringings).

Christgau was kind of like, bands like GFR were too base and vulgar for him, but he also hated rich, primma donna white liberals like James Taylor, Carly Simon, and Stephen Stills.
>>
>>65907974
They were pretty popular in my dad's high school, but then most of the kids there were average blue collar types. Alice Cooper, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and Jethro Tull were the big things as he recalled it.
>>
>>65907974
>but he also hated rich, primma donna white liberals like James Taylor, Carly Simon, and Stephen Stills

I agree. Never ever read an interview with James Taylor--his politics are totally and completely insane.
>>
>>65907725
I listened to the entire E Pluribus Funk and it does feel more like a jam session than an album..
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.