[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok /mu/, I want to buy my fist synth. I want something analog
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: synth1.jpg (515 KB, 1186x1020) Image search: [Google]
synth1.jpg
515 KB, 1186x1020
Ok /mu/, I want to buy my fist synth. I want something analog but that can also used as midi controller, 32 keys and I don't want to spend more than 400€; the only one that seems to fit this is the Novation Mininova, although I don't know if it's good. What do you recommend?
>>
>>65902488
why does it have to be analog
>>
>>65902523
Because I travel a lot and I'd like to use it also when I don't have a computer
>>
File: this-nigga.jpg (50 KB, 500x652) Image search: [Google]
this-nigga.jpg
50 KB, 500x652
>>65902598
>>
File: 2 drummers.png (558 KB, 540x517) Image search: [Google]
2 drummers.png
558 KB, 540x517
>>65902598
>>
>>65902488
>>65902523
Novation mininova isn't analog.

Too bad Monopoly money is weak, otherwise I'd recommend the Korg Minilogue
>>
>>65902598
Kek
>>
>>65902488
Don't buy into the analog game, senpai
>>
The Roland JD-XI is analog, digital, can be used as MIDI controller and it costs about 430€
>>
>>65902761
Not him, but why not? Plenty of people prefer the sound, and not everyone wants to spend music how they might spend work, clicking around on a screen.

Don't give me the whole "analog can be completely emulated" meme, it's tired and old.
>>
>>65902598
korg monotron a perfect uuuu
>>
>>65902811
It's not a meme. Analog CAN be completely emulated.

What does analog sound like?

"fat"? "warm"?

So can digital. It does not matter.
>>
>>65902845
It's been a jelly poorfag meme for a long time. Sorry to break it to you.

Also, nobody here mentioned fat and warm.

The thing digital can't emulate is filter saturation and gain staging. Even you have to admit that any sort of digital drive in a softsynth sounds terribad. On top of that, you need to run filters at pretty high sample rates in order to get them to not sound like your garden variety CEM filter. Most decent emulators out there also hog large amounts of CPU, which isn't good when you want to do things live. The ones that don't hog reduculous amounts of CPU are really only good at emulating an alpha Juno.
>>
>>65902913
Fat and warm were in quotations because those are the descriptions every one gives to analog.

I wasn't originally talking about softsynths, btw. For OP, he would be better off getting a digital synth for the amount he wants to spend. Besides, all the gear considered to be analog today has digital filters, so the sound chain is never fully analog.
>>
Gotta love a noob thinking he knows better than everyone else.
>>
>>65902981
>all the gear considered analog today has digital filters
Okay, now you're just making things up. It's better to stop now than to make yourself look even more retarded.

I never opposed digital synths, I own plenty. But I'm not going to fool myself that my Blofeld will copy a Jupiter 8, it's better at PPG wave sounds. Nor is the Minimoog patch on my wavestation anything like my actual Minimoog.
>>
>>65903021
If you're talking about
>>65902981
Then yeah, it's pretty funny that he has to resort to making things up to support his argument.
>>
>>65903046
>more retarded
You're right. Sorry. I was thinking of DCOs, not filters.

What synths do you own? It sounds like you know a lot about them.
>>
>>65903081
Most have VCOs, only Dave Smith still pumps out DCOs. It was the 80s that were saturated with DCOs. Moog is pretty crazy about digitally controlled VCOs, but that's different than a DCO.

I myself own a modest modular system, Minimoog model D, JX-10, JX8P, Korg Wavestation EX, Microbrute, Blofeld, Yamaha TX-816 to compliment a bandmate's DX7, I also own various drum machines, groove boxes, and organs.

I do all sampling on the computer, along with more esoteric synth stuff
>>
>>65903159
Awesome. That's a great collection.

Do you have a SoundCloud or something similar, perchance? I'd love to hear what you do.
>>
>>65903267
I have a soundcloud for each of my bands, but I would rather not post them here, as they lead to Facebook pages with my real identity.
>>
>>65902981
Any recommendations then?
>>
Can anyone recommend a good synth for someone who has no idea how synths work? I really like Tangerine Dream, Cluster and Harmonia if that helps.
>>
>>65903348
Not that guy, but if you're OP, the mininova you mentioned is actually digital, and pretty good. Another anon also mentioned was the Roland Jd-Xi. Lastly, the blofeld is a bit more, but a really good synth.

>>65903350
The synths mentioned above are all great, especially for string sounds. You'll also want to dive into sequencers to get that Berlin School sound
>>
>>65903413
thanks
>>
>>65903413
OP here, thank you, do you recommend other digital synth not too expensive?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.