[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>trendy retards pretend they care about hardcore because it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (107 KB, 640x1040) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
107 KB, 640x1040
>trendy retards pretend they care about hardcore because it falls in line with their agenda

hey there /mu/, I'm a queer """punk""", LGBT activism in music is very important and all that, but most "queer punk" is patronizing insipid crap. See: pic related. GLOSS is fucking trash. GLOSS is downright awful. Musically boring and lyrically peurile, the shit they right about is important and serious subjects, but it's communicated with the ability of a goddamn 6th grader. Pic related is what happens when music is co-opted by insincere jackasses who care more about looking morally superior than a) the actual cause(s) they are claiming to support b) actual quality music.

fuck pitchfork and fuck this lame band
>>
>>65900685
>right about

dammit *write
>>
this thread has been pruned or deleted
>>
>8.5
Objectively better than The Glowing Man, and anyone that argues otherwise is a PLEB
>>
and the real kicker is that even suggesting that this band sucks is enough to get you completely ostracized because there could not possibly be anything bad about their tired d-beat rehash

>>65900754
gloss is shit, listen to more punk
>>
>>65900685
agreed.

PWR BTTM is better.
>>
>>65900809
Yeah, I know they're complete shite who only get any support because they have the novelty of being transgendered. I was just saying that to point out this scored higher than what is IMO the AOTY
>>
i listened to the demo when it came out, and then promptly completley forgot about this band.
is the new release worth listening to?
>>
>>65900685
punk has been dead for ages, havent you heard?

im also a queer snowflake and i dont think i'd ever bother touching this shit with a 10 foot pole
>>
>she
>>
>>65900685
I'm going to boycott pitchfork from now on and buy Whirr's entire discography from their bandcamp.
>>
Ok but guys this is actually a really big deal:Future historians will be able to pinpoint the exact moment an albums social "context" became more important than literally any of it's musical qualities in mainstream music criticism.
>>
Not sure what's more stupid or short sighted:Brexit or this getting a BNM
>>
>>65903507
Pitchfork really and truly jumped the shark here. This record and the decision making process that led to it getting a BNM are going to age like warm milk in the goddamn sun.
>>
>>65900685
I wouldn't say they're terrible, but they aren't doing anything that hasn't already been done to death over the past 30+ years of punk music.

It's just an average rehash of a worn out genre that Pitchfork is only praising because it makes them look good.
>>
>>65900685
>cares about shitfork

W E W
E
W
>>
>>65900685
This-this this this this. Standing ovation for OP-the issue at hand here is not trans rights, it's the fact that they fell so hard for one band out of a genre they completely ignore otherwise because it's a political statement (but they are too dumb to see how clumsy and lazy it makes them look).
>>
>>65903507
This is so 2016

This comment right here
>>
>>65903619
>le current year meme
>>
>>65903635
>le current year meme meme
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 640x367) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 640x367
>Queer Punk
Why in hell
>>
>>65903644
>le current year meme meme meme
>>
>>65903644
>le current year meme meme meme
>2016
>>
File: 1462296017347.png (183 KB, 602x720) Image search: [Google]
1462296017347.png
183 KB, 602x720
>the "counter-culture" is now enabling the establishment rather than rallying against it

Ho hum.
>>
op is the realest nigga there is
every time i tried defending this exact same point, i got called out as a homophobe
>>
>>65903709
>>65900685
Yeah.

like i hate this site but the only reasonable music people in the world it seems are on /mu/.

Ofc I'd never admit to being here irl tho :p
>>
>>65903741
>tho
>:p
>>
Lgbt people are fucking retarded
>>
>>65903496
why would historians give a shit about Pitchfork dot com or anything discussed here
>>
>>65900685
Better criticism than I was expecting. I knew this would inherently be hated here, but didn't expect anyone to be able to articulate why they didn't like it other than >MUH SJW SHIT. Nice work.
>>
>make seven-minute "album" ripping off Minor Threat
>get BNM
>p4k doesn't even fucking do punk albums usually

Why is this allowed?
>>
File: GLOSS.jpg (361 KB, 1600x1140) Image search: [Google]
GLOSS.jpg
361 KB, 1600x1140
Washington State: not even once
>>
>>65903507
this is bigger than brexit mate
>>
who gives a fuck. nobody cares about these fuckers besides maybe a 100 ppl
ignore them
>>
>>65905191
It's 7 fucking minutes long?!
>>
Limp Wrist were pretty great as far as fag punk goes.
>>
>>65900685
Wow. I would usually think this post was made by some bigot with anger issues, but I just listened to the album. It is so bad. Pitchfork makes terrible decisions sometimes.
>>
I've been listening to punk since I was a baby
my dad was into punk when it was actually happening and hasn't ever stopped being
we both think that first demo of theirs is killer, some of the best straight hardcore in years

haven't heard this one but it's pretty annoying when people pull the "you don't even like punk I like punk and it's shit"
>>
>>65905996
Not him and I don't know if Bandcamp is showing only the preview tracks but apparently it's really 7 minutes long.
Not even that good, incredibly average.
>>
>>65906047
I didn't think it was particularly bad, just a 7 (seven) minute EP that was perfectly listenable but fairly forgettable

It just seems like Pitchfork are using it to push an agenda, whatever that may be, which only serves to reinforce how much of a joke they are and isn't really fair on the band (although I'm sure they won't mind the extra attention)
>>
>unironically listening to music that has to inject itself with gender politics in order to be relevant
>>
File: a1312066478_16.jpg (49 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
a1312066478_16.jpg
49 KB, 700x700
post good trans music
>>
>>65905996
Babby's first time listening to a hardcore EP. Summer, I tell you.
>>
I don't know about all this here "punk" stuff but I will tell you queer voices in media are VERY IMPORTANT the music is all screamy and too fast and hurts my ears but at least it's only 7 minutes long and OMG did you know it was made by TRANS WOMEN??? (of color? hopefully?) anyways I didn't even finish it but this is BEST NEW MUSIC 8.5 VERY IMPORTANT AND RELEVANT TO THE CULTURE
>>
>>65906427
Where
>>
>>65906427
Are they still around?
>>
>>65906655
Yeah. They released The 2nd 100 Songs a few month ago I believe.
>>
there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with following trends
>>
I liked the demo... I thought it was refreshing amidst all the Texas hardcore demos I usually listen to all the time. I can't comment on the new release.
>>
>>65906803
Cool, the first 100 songs was great
>>
>>65906943
I thought the demo was okay. I liked the lyrics. I definitely feel like they're filling a niche in punk. The music was alright, but I didn't like the guitar solos.
>>
>>65907109
Filling a niche in punk?
Queercore has been around for decades
>>
>>65907159
Name 5 bands filled with trans women who are singing specifically about trans issues, and not generic gay/queer issues.
>>
>>65907109
>>65907240
dude it's a novelty so we can ignore the lack of attention to craft lmao
>>
>>65907279
Why is GLOSS a novelty singing about trans issues, but another hardcore band singing about communism or being straight edge or whatever not?

The new ep is okay. I'm not huge into punk but it's one of the more interesting things I've heard from the genre in recent years.
>>
>>65903648
Punk was always queer as hell.
>>
>>65903674
What even is the counter-culture any more, man?
>>
>>65905218
I thought they were trans? They look pretty cisgendered to me famalamalam
>>
>>65907336
their political beliefs are valid but they don't warrant the attention they're being given. inherently political lyrics are hard to pull off, and paired with easily digestible genre-core it just comes off as pandering.
to be fair, I haven't seen them live but from what I can tell their songs don't hold up to most of the local punk bands where I've lived.
>>
>>65905218
Second to left a qt
>>
>>65903674
>anime fag reads every social thing the wrong way
no surprises here
>>
>>65906427
Vektroid
>>
>>65907608
paleoconservatism
>>
>>65905218
Where are the trans women? This just looks like a bunch of normal nu-males
>>
as much as it pains me to say, because it makes me sound like a cuckservative, pitchfork really has become affirmative action for music
>>
>>65908004
>denying the life-experneice of mental transgender people
check your privilege
>>
>>65900685
kek

>G.L.O.S.S. has 3 monthly listeners on spotify
>>
>>65908220
That's true but the only thing on there was added today
>>
As a hetero cis dude in a DIY scene, I've noticed that the popularity among queer promoters and bands is rarely to scale with their talent. Marginalized groups tend to be favored in radical circles like that, and it's a shame that musical quality is not always a priority.

Luckily there ARE good queer musicians, it's just much easier for shit ones to get around than shit straight ones.

This same phenomena occurs with female musicians as well.

It's not that I don't think underrepresented groups shouldn't perform or create things, I just think music should be judged by it's quality, not the image and identity of the artist.

inb4 check yr priv, cis scum
>>
>>65900685
It's a fucking stellar punk album.
Hardcore hasn't evolved in thirty years, people expecting 'innovative' albums from this genre are delusional.
This is talked about because it's important. Trans rights need to be advocated in punk, and I'm glad that such a fucking good band are the ones spearheading the change.

If it gets pitchfork-reading indie kids mad then they're doing something right.
>>
>>65908994
T.GLOSS
>>
>>65908607
>music should be judged by its quality
yes but this is hardcore punk
have you EVER listened to hardcore punk before?
Minor Threat and Black Flag, from a purely musical perspective, were fucking terrible
today we've got bands like Coke Bust releasing seven minute LPs, it's also musically fucking terrible
but it's hardcore, it's amazing for different reasons

dumbass
get bent
>>
GLOSS is p bad, this is any obvious powermove by p4k to score some indie cred that they haven't had in years.
>>65901881
WE CAN PANDER HARD TO ALL THOSE HIP QUEER KIDS
WE CAN SCORE RETWEETS AND GET SOME MORE PAGE HITS
BUT RIGHT NOW
I'M IN THE SHOWER
>>
>>65909045
get off of /mu/ G.L.O.S.S
>>
>>65900685
WHO COULD HAVE PREDICTED THE """"TRANS"""" DAY OF REVENGE BY THE "QUEER HARDCORE PUNK BAND" G.L.O.S.S. WOULD GET AN INFLATED RATING AND BNM?

it's not even about music anymore. everything is about image.
>>
>>65909045
There are aspects of hardcore that have absolutely have musical merit. It looks like you have trouble understanding the concepts of dissonance and rhythm that make good punk.

My criticism still stands - this release would be relatively unnoticed if it weren't for the identity of the artists.
>>
>>65908994
Reducing all of punk to being centered around one topical issue is seriously limiting the genre
>>
File: Negrofication.png (2 MB, 624x4914) Image search: [Google]
Negrofication.png
2 MB, 624x4914
>>65903496

No, this was.
>>
File: Pitchfork 2009 to 2015.png (1 MB, 1011x1980) Image search: [Google]
Pitchfork 2009 to 2015.png
1 MB, 1011x1980
>implying this is shocking
>>
>>65909045
Those bands are also from the genres pioneering days, when what they were doing was still fresh. Hardcore punk and queercore have been around forever at this point and Pitchfork has given little to no shit about any of it until now when this band comes along and gets BNM for doing nothing new at all. It's just another EP that sounds like a million others.
>>
>>65903648
this is a fucking stupid question and you should know that

>>65909045
>all hardcore is musically terrible

you've listened to maybe three hardcore albums
>>
>>65903496
>implying
Stop pretending this is new, music has been politically charged and to some extent dependent of its release context since the late 60s and the apparition of the hippie movement and their anti-war messages. THis is absolutely nothing new.
>>
Gloss isn't bad because they're trans they're just really mediocre hardcore that happens to appeal to the indie crowd because they're trans
>>
>>65909045
get off my fucking website
>>
>>65908994
>It's a fucking stellar punk album.

It's literally this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2GpL1Jtw3I
>>
>>65905218
that's not GLOSS
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.