[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Red-pill me on Bob Dylan /mu/ I just finished his studio discography
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: 012-bob-dylan-theredlist.jpg (38 KB, 595x404) Image search: [Google]
012-bob-dylan-theredlist.jpg
38 KB, 595x404
Red-pill me on Bob Dylan /mu/
I just finished his studio discography and I don't get him. please explain to me why he is so much mass appeal.

I like his music but I don't get the complete fascination with him. He was influential sure but you can say that about a lot of people.
I want to know what makes him unique compared to anyone else.

Inb4:
>Did you even listen to the music?

>70s Bob Dylan was best Bob Dylan.
Prove me wrong "[spoiler]you probably can[/spoiler]").
>>
>>65895781
>I like his music

That's all that should matter.
>>
I don't believe you about listening to his studio discography. If it is true that you listened to it entirely let me ask you this:

Why did you listen to 37 albums by an artist who obviously isn't for you?
>>
Nobody wrote poetic lyrics like in folk music like him and then nobody wrote poetic lyrics in rock music like him. He was also predecessor to Bowie when it came to changing music style while changing actual style, even if that wasn't intentional.
>>
File: tumblr_o5ebk0L5gK1r00vf5o1_500.jpg (35 KB, 500x664) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o5ebk0L5gK1r00vf5o1_500.jpg
35 KB, 500x664
>>65895848
not really. Artist have more to them than just their music. Personality and other things play a huge role in an artist staying in the public's eye.
I'm just curious why Bob Dylan is so popular I like a lot of Artist but none of them are as popular as Dylan.
>>
whats unique about Dylan was his ability to bring meaningful lyrics to the masses, he literally popularized poetry for an enitre generation of teens and young adults, as well as being one of (if not) the first punk attitudes in music, without albums like Freewheelin, Highway 61, Blonde on Blonde, a great deal of
the great, meaningful albums of the sixties, wouodbt have been made because before him, tanything that wasnt senseless pop was popular. He revived the American folk tradition, and then 4 years later proved that rock music could be art .
>>
>>65895886
I said I liked his music. Did you not read the OP in full?
you can enjoy someones music and still wonder why they have such a huge following.
Bob Dylan did things that people were already doing. I'm just curious as to why he became so big for it.
>>
>>65895979
>Bob Dylan did things that people were already doing
Show me another song with the energy and substance of Subterranean Homesick Blues then

Or a non-jazz album that was cover-less (most music historians agree Times They Are was the first song based album to be completely original)

Or a love song like Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands

Or a folk song as poetic as A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall

Or a country rock album entrenched in the country rock style before John Wesley Hardin
>>
Actually, I'll make this much, much easier. Show me a serious lyrically serious rock song not written by Dylan before mid 1965.
>>
>>65895957
*anything that wasn't senseless pop wouldn't be popular

>>65895979
bob dylan did a lot of things people never even tried, such as his attribution (or invention, depending on who you ask) of folk rock, being the first to make full cohesive LPs (not just collections of songs), being the first to hring poetry to the radio, and being the first muscian with an ugly voice to reach mass fame.
>>
>>65895957
Can you tell me how his lyrics were meaningful? Whenever I pay attention to them they just seem to be nonsense which might sound pretty.
>>
>>65896102
Bob Dylan knows what his songs mean, and there's been countless theory's as to what his songs mean.

Dylan was incredibly well read, in his memoir (Chronicles) he recalls spending countless hours reading various books of poetry, propaganda, fiction, and listening to countless folk rcords, so by the time he began to write hisbown truly poetic works, he was so steeped influence that he hid behind layers of symbology, metaphor, and reference thtt makes it almost impossible to fully decipher what he meant.
>>
>>65896050
This is just saying he made great music. Didn't do anything to push the idea that he did anything others hadn't already done.

He was in on the early Folk Rock scene and combined the style with unique and highly charismatic storytelling. There's what he was doing that hadn't really been seen before.
>>
>>65896210
Fair enough. I like his songs with direct meanings such as Like A Rolling Stone, but I have no idea what people see in songs such as Desolation Row where it's all vague imagery. I understand there are things you can probably prod at, but it still seems strange to have such a long song with lyrics only he could comprehend.
>>
>>65896451
Desolation Row isn't too impenetrable after a bit of prodding. Ask yourself what all the individual images evoke, and then ask yourself what they have in common. A lot of Dylan's just require a bit of analysis, like pretty much all decent poetry. His stuff can sometimes be very opaque, though
>>
>>65896359
are you ignoring the posts about Lyrics? There's nothing even remotely resembling Bob Dylan's poetic lyrics, as well as nothing like the music he presented on Blonde on Blonde.

and no, he started the folk rock scene. even if he wasn't the first one to do it, the first example of it was a cover of his song, and wouldnt have been created otherwise.

Bob Dylan revitalized music by being original, and by reworking traditional styles in a way that was fresh and new, without him, the Beatles would never have made Sgt Pepoers, the Beach Boys would have no Pet Sounds, Hendrix would have no Are You Experienced.

>>65896451
i think i read somewhere that Desolation row served as a sign off for folk music, it was Dylan deconsrrucing the popularity of folk music and declaring its obseletion, i'm not 100% on what exactly it means though, but thats a theory i read
>>
>>65896050
>Didn't do anything to push the idea that he did anything others hadn't already done.
I just asked you to show me a country rock album released before John Wesley Harding.
>>
>>65896565
Eh, I'm the other guy arguing for Dylan's importance. I can totally see Pet Sounds existing without Dylan, or at least something of that level made by Wilson. I agree with all your other points though, including those about other albums.
>>
>>65896726
dont forget his influece as proto-punk and his influence on the Velvet Underground
>>
>>65896752
yeah, i agree, i can see Pet Sounds existing eithout Dylan, too. I was just look for examples. Maybe the Vlvet underground would be a better example
>>
>>65896071
Actually, that's my complaint with Bob Dylan. He's fixated on lyrics at the expense of musicality.
>>
>>65896952
Songs are by definition half lyrics and half music. Dylan is a student of song, not music.

My point still stands though, show me a rock song with meaningful lyrics before Dylan's arrival as a rock artist.
>>
>>65895781
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fITRKmjXWhYV
this is the only reason i like bob dylan
>>
>>65896952
>at the expense of musicality
there's a lot of musical complexity on Blonde on Blonde, as well as lyrically complexity
>>
>>65897002
>i dont care who did it, i just wanna know who did it
kek
>>
>>65897042
my father
>>
>>65897063
kek
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.