[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Negative Opinions About Wildflower
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 1
File: Wildflower_Avalanches_cover_art.png (354 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Wildflower_Avalanches_cover_art.png
354 KB, 400x400
As an avid listener of SILY I am very excited for Wildflower. However, I've heard people saying that the new singles are "repetitive" and "unoriginal". While I can agree that "Frankie Sinatra" wasn't the best thing I've ever heard, the last two singles "Colours" and "Subways"sounded excellent. They may not sound at all like SILY but I think they are on par with what they came out with 16 years ago, if not, better. Am I losing my mind and parting ways with a classic album that cannot be surpassed, or is this going to be the album of the decade?
>>
>>65891239
I think it's stupid to think it'll be the "album of the decade". Having hopes that high is silly. I think it'll be a good album, but I don't think it'll be nearly as great as Since I Left You.

I could see it being a solid 7 or 8 out of 10, but people here and pitchfork splurging over it. I hope it does blow me away, but Colours and Subways, while they were good, didn't knock my socks off.
>>
I feel like if SILY came out today people would be saying the exact same things they're saying about Wildflower. People are expecting way too much at this point, even when the actual result is something wonderful. It automatically becomes bad or disappointing to them because they're so attached to something else.

SILY is one of my favourite albums of all time, but you can't claim tracks from Wildflower are repetitive and tracks from SILY aren't. Because sometimes they are. And it works perfectly.
>>
>>65891239
As someone who's pretty neutral on Since I Left You, I've enjoyed the snippets a lot so far. If I Was A Folkstar in particular I hold nearly as high in regard as anything off of SILY. Not sure if it'll please the diehard fans, but it's silly to think it'll be anything less than good.
>>
>>65891791
>but it's silly to think
Don't you mean it's SILY to think?

I pretty much agree with >>65891731 plus it doesn't help that there's a tripfag with a massive hateboner for The Avalanches around.
>>
I have to take back what I said about "Wildflower" being the "album of the decade". I do agree that it will overall be a great album (so far I'd give it a "9") but the hype for it is a little absurd. Whenever I see comments like "Let's get on the hype train!" I can't help myself but be frustrated. It's as if everyone is gearing up for the second coming of "Pet Sounds" or "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band". It comes down to this for me...

"Will this album blow my mind and be an awesome album that I will enjoy for years to come?" Yes

"Will it be a masterpiece that serves as a milemarker for generations of musicians?" No

"Will I be pissed to all hell when Fantano gives this album a "7"?" Yes

"Does Wildflower deserve negative comments about it not amounting to SILY?" No
>>
>>65892391
Agreed completely.
>>
Loving everything I've heard so far.
I've woken up humming Subways since it dropped.

I just want to hear to full album, the tracks, the snippets are great, but I want the whole full-fat experience. The singles are driving me insane in that regard, to the point where if they released some completely unknown track off the album tomorrow, I might just skip it and wait.
>>
I'm just curious to hear the other track that has Danny Brown on it. He said it would "Change the world."

I don't believe that will be the case, but I'm really interested to hear it regardless. I've really enjoyed everything they've released for this new album, even Frankie Sinatra. Screw you guys, that song was fun.
>>
For a place as borderline cancerous as /mu/, I'm surprised there aren't that many people talking shit about everything Wildflower-related. It's mostly
>lel electroswing
July 8th cannot come soon enough.
>>
when the fuck is this going to leak
>>
>>65892391
Who cares what random people on the internet think? I mean, I actually think the songs released so far are pretty meh, it has nothing to do with them not living up to SILY. If Anthony Fantano gives it a score I disagree with, who cares? If there are comments saying it's the next coming of Christ, so what? I sincerely wonder why people care about this stuff
>>
>>65894265
You'd think it would have leaked by now. These "leaked" tracks got my hyped, but I don't want to really ruin the album and listen to the rest. SILY's main strength is the way it flows together. I don't know if this album will be the same way but I'd rather hear it in its entirety than listen to any more songs.

2bh also, i ordered the special edition vinyl
>>
>>65894706
In the same boat. I cannot listen to SILY if it's not all the way through or on rare occasions start out at certain point and let it play until the end.
>>
it'll probably be like mbv
an album that was really good but couldn't live up to the hype or it's predecessor.
>>
>I'M FRANK SINATRA BITCH

ruined the hype alone Tbh, even if subways and colours were great
>>
you walk on the subway it moves around
you hear someone scream so you go to see what you found
all around it moves around
na na na na na na
ey yo girls
moving out moving out moving out with me
mo mo moving -
moving out moving out with me
you walk on the subway
dancing till the mori
everyone's dacing
this is a song for the genius chow
sing it softly
wow
sing it
as ever you can
let the song get out of hand
moving out with me
yo yo dance the pain away
ain't no tame
everybody's dancing full of something
remember
aaah
moving out with me
dance the pain away
did he just tell you i'm okay and shit?
welcome once again
>>
A big thing too I think is that the tracks are going to sound even better once they are taken in the context of the album track order - to me, a lot of the songs on SILY were like that and I feel like this album is going to take a similar direction, with songs that sound really good by themselves but sound great when put into the context of its placement in the album.
>>
>FAVORITE TRACK RELEASED SO FAR
Colours

>TRACK(S) YOU'RE LOOKING FORWARD TO MOST
Noisy Eater
Saturday Night Inside Out
Kaleidoscopic Lovers
>>
Colours and Subways are nice, but there hasn't been anything like Frontier Psychiatrist yet
>>
>>65891239
>but I think they are on par with what they came out with 16 years ago
Of course not.
>>
all four officially released tracks are incredible, and Going Home is amazing as well. Album's gonna be fantastic, tho not a masterpiece.
>>
>>65898214
>Album's gonna be fantastic, tho not a masterpiece.
This is how I feel about a lot of albums that have already come out this year.
2016 is the year for great but not too great albums
>>
>>65891239
Subways was literally just a loop of Graham Bonnet's Warm Ride with SUBWAY SPIN AROUND YEAH over the top

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P95WFrzJcbc

Colours got my hopes up but then Subway sunk them all over again.
>>
>>65898271
you wont say that in a year or two when youre still listening to something. people say this kind of stuff every year, and when you sit back and think about it like 2 years from now, you sit there and go "fuck thats an amazing album"
>>
>>65898310
You've already posted this. And it just repeats an extremely small part of the song and turns it into something else. Have you never listened to The Avalanches before?
>>
>>65898458
seriously, we rarely ever realize an albums a masterpiece when it's released
>>
>>65898310
the sample repeats every minutely so, but the music is constantly changing.

Literally what do you expect from the Avalanches my man...
>>
I think the issue is less about expectations and more comparisons. If you're going into the experience of the album with SILY as a frame of reference, you're guaranteed to be disappointed. SILY has become too much of an emotional and (sub?)cultural paradigm for so many people that nothing will ever compare to it regardless of its quality, as it has garnered some culturally-imposed divinity as a symbol of plunderphonics, similar to how the Mona Lisa can never be surpassed - not because of its actual quality as art - but because of its status as a symbol of art. The same could be said about MBV, which was almost entirely forgotten about precisely because it was listened to in the context of Loveless, which can never be surpassed as a symbol of shoegaze. So if you want to enjoy Wildflower and consider its quality impartially, don't listen to it in the context of SILY. Listen to it as its own unique musical trajectory, regardless of whether it actually is or not
>>
>>65898214
>four officially released

you fucking what
>>
>>65898888
Listen to these quads my dudes
>>
>>65898000
That's what Wozard of Iz will be, I hope.
>>
>>65898914
>Frankie Sinatra
>Subways
>If I was a folk star
>Colours
>>
>>65898979
If I Was a Folk Star was just played on radio, it hasn't been officially released as to the public yet.
>>
>>65898979
When and where did 'If I Was a Folkstar' release? It's not available on iTunes or Spotify.
>>
>>65898979
>>65899014
>>65899023

https://streamable.com/ce3l
>>
>>65891239
Since I Left You is one of my favorite albums (it's in my top 5), but honestly I'm not into the hype or placing my expectations too high. I'm just waiting to hear what it's like, and whatever it ends up being, will be. If it's great, then great. If it's not, then I won't think much of it.

However, I wasn't very interested with what came out so far, for the most part. Frankie Sinatra I didn't really enjoy that much at all, Subways was fine, and Colours was slightly better.

If I Was a Folkstar, on the other hand, I really enjoyed and thought it was very promising. I might go far as to say that it's one of the best songs I've heard from them.
>>
>>65899014
>>65899023
It's on their YouTube channel
>>
>>65899493
No it's not.
>>
>>65899856
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kDlMane7boY
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.