[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This album turns 30 today. What are /mu/'s thoughts on it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 3
File: TQID.png (345 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
TQID.png
345 KB, 500x500
>>
I fucking hate Morrissey
>>
It's great but I think Strangeways is their best, the novelty songs (Frankly Mr Shankly, Vicar in a Tutu) wear thin pretty quickly.
>>
>>65881694
it's okay. used to love it but now compared to meat,strangeways and hatful
it's alright at best. morrissey feels abit unsure of himself here. after awhile it gets a bit whiney and self indulgent
compared to the other albums I mentioned where morrissey is way more confident and sharper in his lyrics
same with the guitar playing
>>
It could be good if it wasn't for Vicar in a tutu and Frankly, Mr. Shankly
>>
>>65881828
What's wrong with those tracks? Personally I love them.
>>
>>65881725
Stephen Merchant?
>>
Vicar in a tutu's fine though. It's often skipped though because it's essentially right in between some of the best tracks on the album which are for sure some goddamn top tier tracks.
>>
I love frankly mr shankly AMA
>>
Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others is Marr's best work
>>
this album turned 30 on 16th, not today
>>
It's alright, but it's the worst Smiths album
>>
File: 1466323465844.png (246 KB, 455x339) Image search: [Google]
1466323465844.png
246 KB, 455x339
>>
>>65881694
All of their albums suck
>>
>>65881694
It's great, probably my favourite Smiths album

>>65882065
I don't understand the hate Vicar in a Tutu gets
>>
>>65881694
It's the smiths, it's gash.
>>
>>65881694
Trash just like everything else from The Smiths
>>
>>65882823
name some bands you're into. prove you're not some other /mu/ le edgy superior taste meme
>>
>>65881694
Second favorite Smiths album after Hatful of Hollow, every single track with the exception of Never Had No One Ever is amazing
>>
>>65881694
>>65883154
Hatful of Hollow is their best by far, even though it kind of doesn't count.
>>
>>65881694
pretencious whinny faggot whinning over really great guitar work
>>
>>65883154
tru
>>
should I hear it?
>>
>>65883383
yea
>>
>>65883383
If you haven't listened to any other Smiths, start with Hatful Of Hollow
>>
>>65883395
okay anon
>>
>>65883403
thanks anon, I've been considering getting into the Smiths
>>
>>65882397
Play a record
>>
>>65883841
de trout spinners
>>
Listened to this for the first time recently after hearing Meat is Murder a while ago.

Cemetary Gates, Boy with the Thorn, and There is a Light are some of my fav songs now
>>
LEAVE THE MOTHER FUCKING EU
>>
>elder god tier
frankly mr shankly
I know it's over
the boy with the thorn in his side

>really fucking good tier
bigmouth strikes again
cemetry gates
the queen is dead
there is a light that never goes out

>okay tier
vicar in a tutu
some girls are bigger than others

>skip tier
never had no one ver
>>
boring
>>
>>65883971
Move Vicar in a Tutu and everything in the second tier to the top tier and you have mine
>>
>>65883841
HaHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!
>>
Great but Meat is Murder is still their best.
>>
>>65881694
the two slow ballads (i know it's over, neve rhad no one ever) are fucking boring
>>
>>65884489
They are very different. Morrissey just makes I Know It's Over amazing but Never Had No One Ever has some of the worst lyrics he's ever written
>>
>>65883971
>Vicar in okay tier instead of skip tier
>Having Never Had No One Ever in skip tier
>Not having some girls in really fucking good tier

Other than that the tier list accurate.
>>
The alternate Jazz trumpet version of Never Had No One Ever is so much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8uDqvXYxoY&ab_channel=just,Morrissey&TheSmiths
>>
its p good

overrated but still very enjoyable
>>
Title track is the best song they've ever done.
>>
Top 5 Tracks (in no order):
Bigmouth Strikes Again
The Boy With the Thorn in His Side
Some Girls are Bigger than Others
Frankly Mr. Shankly
There is a Light and it Never Goes Out
>>
No disrespect to the smiths but I could never get into this album. I love morrissey's voice and lyrics and the guitar playing is interesting but most of the songs don't stick with me. Could someone explain the appeal, is it just a grower?
>>
>>65884861
It feels like a cop out answer but if I had to pick any album ever as a grower it's this one. I started out only really enjoying Frankly Mr. Shankly and now I love pretty much every song on the album
>>
>>65884861
I personally don't think it is a grower. The most popular songs on this album are very immediate (Bigmouth Strikes Again, The Boy With the Thorn in His Side, There is a Light and it Never Goes Out). Imo the appeal is that these songs are melodic and easy to "get"
>>
>>65884798
There's also the trumpet version of Frankly Mr Shankly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFYgr1OmvYg&ab_channel=just,Morrissey&TheSmiths
>>
I haven't tried getting into The Smiths yet where do I start?
>>
>>65885142
I would suggest Hatful of Hollow which is a compilation album. It has some extra songs that are really good but you won't find on the albums. Also I think the versions of some songs (like this charming man) is better on Hatful than on the original album
>>
>>65885142
Louder Than Bombs, but skip the first two songs.
>>
Frankly Mr Shankly and Never Had No One Ever are weak af, but the rest are great. The title track is the best opening song they've ever made and There is a Light will make me tear up every time I listen through the entire album.

That being said, as a whole it's not as good as Hatful or Meat is Murder (even with the godawful title track) but it's still a very good album.
>>
>>65881725
>>65881828
Hows anyone hate Frankly Mr Shankly, it's got cracking lyrics.
>>
I actually love the outtake version of Bigmouth Strikes Again but of course Mike Joyce screwed up at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRFq7sbo8nE&ab_channel=just,Morrissey&TheSmiths
>>
>>65885218
But those are good
>>
>>65885251
Meat Is Murder (the song) would be really powerful if it was shorter and an instrumental
>>
>>65886336
The Sound of The Smiths version is so much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0C-pjBAzVQ&ab_channel=HeadfulOfHollow
>>
>>65881694
Maudlin vibes for miserablists.
>>
File: CljEyVmUYAEjmjc.jpg (64 KB, 622x960) Image search: [Google]
CljEyVmUYAEjmjc.jpg
64 KB, 622x960
>>65886715
>Morrissey is miserable
>>
>>65881694
The Cure is better
>>
>>65884897
>>65884930
I guess I'll just have to come back to it, no probablem by me
>>
>>65882714
lmao
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.