[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just listened to Close To The Edge for the first time and was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: close to the edge.jpg (753 KB, 1399x1393) Image search: [Google]
close to the edge.jpg
753 KB, 1399x1393
I just listened to Close To The Edge for the first time and was blown away. It was a lot different from what I was expecting.

Where do I go next with Yes? Or the genre in general? I don't know much about prog rock, I've really only heard ITCOTCK.
>>
Fragile is God tier and more poppy than KC, but still complex. Genesis is has great song writing and here comes a hot opinion ****Henry Cow is a better band artistically than King Crimson****
>>
>>65864017
Listen to The Yes Album, Fragile, Going for the One, and Relayer
>>
Now listen to The Yes Album, Fragile & Relayer. If you liked those and want more Yes go listen to Tales from Topographic Oceans (not a good album imo but its a very divisive album in general), Going for the One, their self titled debut, and Drama.
>>
>>65864017
Listen to Foxtrot and Selling England by the Pound by Genesis next.
>>
>>65864017
For Yes, I'd say listen to Relayer next, as it's the closest thing to this album. After that, try Fragile, The Yes Album, and Time And A Word. Some other highlights are Tales from Topographic Oceans, Going for the One, and Drama.

Also, try Genesis if you enjoy Yes.
When it comes to King Crimson, I'd say listen to Red next, and go backwards from there until you reach In The Wake of Poseidon. Larks' Tongues In Aspic, their 5th album, is possibly their closest to CTTE, and is considered by many to be their best. After that, listen to the Discipline trio (Discipline, Beat, TOAPP), which you'll probably enjoy if you liked Talking Heads' albums Remain In Light & Speaking In Tongues. From there move chronologically.
>>
>>65864017
Also listen to Genesis. Foxtrot and Selling England by the Pound are gr8.
>>
>>65864017
Be careful about the Genesis recommendations because they best found their blueprint in Trespass and Nursery Cryme (good albums) and it just started getting blown up after that. Longer epics. MORE epics. Embracing the fantasy image even more. More symphonic. More technical, less ideas-based. Foxtrot and Selling England are decent to me, but Genesis with less technical exercises is better to me.

If you want more classics that feature technical virtuosity go for Brain Salad Surgery by ELP, Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull, Mirage by Camel, pre-Permanent Waves Rush, Renaissance, etc.

Some great releases are Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield, In the Land of Grey and Pink by Caravan, Rock Bottom by Robert Wyatt, any early Zappa.

If you're really ambitious try Faust I. ;)
>>
File: Pawn Hearts.jpg (45 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
Pawn Hearts.jpg
45 KB, 540x540
now listen to this
>>
>>65864017
Relayer
>>
Zappa's one size fits all is a personal favorite.
Check out Gentle Giant and Camel
Modern stuff like Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater are pretty good as well.
ELP's Tarkus is also an essential
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.