[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Death Grips | I need a perspective
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: death grips.jpg (65 KB, 648x324) Image search: [Google]
death grips.jpg
65 KB, 648x324
/mu/ helps me understand Death Grips. Are they actually genius or they just getting all the hype because they sound different? I am not a fan of rap or hip hop and I actually don't like majority of Rap at all. I usually like only particular rap songs. I listened to some popular songs from Death Grips (Guillotine and some) and I liked them aesthetic voice. I like how his voice sounds and the production is at least somewhat new than I have heard on other rap songs. I have a hard time understanding their lyrics though because English is not my first language and I read that their lyrics are cypttic or something. I want to ask some serious rap fans(by serious I mean the ones who have listened to and spend a lot of time searching and analysing rap other than mainstream. I am predominantly an electronic music fan (Aphex Twin, Autechre, V snares, Igorrr, CBL, Biosphere) so I usually listen to music completely on the basis of how it 'sounds'. I want to try getting into Death Grips though, lyrically. Simply because I find that Black frontman fun. He looks like someone who knows/does something that other rappers don't. Recommend me some of your favorite DG tracks and albums. Give me some insight like your favorite lyrics or whatever you like about them or don't like about them.

Also is there/has there been an artist/group similar to Death Grips? Aesthetically or just genius wise. I don't really know what counts as good rap so help me out here.
>>
>>65860100
decide for yourself, music is subjective
>>
>>65860117
dude I wrote that entire thing explaining why I can't decide for myself. I just need a new perspective. Don't give me that philosophical shit.
>>
>>65860100
Not my favorite band but i have huge respect for their consistency. Every album they've made sounds different than the others, yet maintains the very high quality standart. I don't care much about MC Ride or his lyrics, but i absolutely adore the production.
>>
>>65860199
yeah the production is what I love. Any album that's your favorite production wise?
>>
>>65860247
Niggas on the Moon and Money Store are the best in this department imo, those jittery synths and samples all over the place really do it for me. I also really enjoy No Love Deep Web for its incredibly heavy, raw sound.
>>
Since you like electronic music, check out Government Plates and Niggas On The Moon. NOTM in particular has some of the craziest production I've heard on a hip-hop track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kDinXI0bxM
>>
>>65860100
I love Death Grips, I think the lyrics are amazing and the production is extremely unique. I also find the stuff they've done with the internet (how they interact with their fans and all the viral marketing stuff) super cool, and actually very important in the context of how society has progressed.

considering all that as well as their style (extremely aggressive rap over top of super digital and computerized production), in my opinion Death Grips is one of the first truly important bands of the 21st Century, and punk music for the modern age.
>>
>>65860380
>>65860397
you got it, thank you!
>>
>>65860100
>>65860432 (I am this guy)

my favorites by them are Exmilitary, Jenny Death (the Powers that b part 2) and Bottomless Pit.

also, all the stuff surrounding their former label and No Love Deep Web is worth looking into, it backs up the "punk music for the modern age" thing
>>
>>65860492
thanks that really helped. I really believed they must be actually good because Bjork is their fan. That alone wanted me to check them out even though it's not what I usually listen to. I was not aware about the things you said about them doing stuff though internet, interacting and such. Don't really know anything about them but it's very interesting and makes me more interested. Noted everything you said. Thank you!
>>
>>65860727
No problem. if you want to learn more about all the stuff they've done, reading their wikipedia article gives a fairly good overview (although it is not in-depth as it could be, as is usual with Wikipedia)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Grips
>>
>>65860900
nice! did not know that other guy was a drummer. Never knew there is a third guy too
>>
>>65860100
Death Grips is a phenomenon like the early years of punk rock. They just give a shit about what the music industry tells them
>they got a fucking dick on their cover on the LP No Love Deep
>leaked in on the internet for free before the release date and got kicked out

but beside that facts they're authentic in what they do. the sounds are gorgeusly produced und mc ride has a voice that will be recognized for ever, not only the way he "raps" but also for his performences
>>
Look into the lyrics for the song Beware and you will get an idea of what they believe and what they are about
>>
I don't think they are musical geniuses but they are very creative and consistent. A lot of the hype that surrounds them is due to the fact that they act very mysteriously, and Ride is a very powerful frontman in an era without many powerful frontmen. That isn't to say they are all style no substance, but without their kooky antics and theatrics they wouldn't be nearly as famous or critically acclaimed.
>>
>>65861392
mc ride reminds me of Jim Morrison
>>
>>65860100
Hey, I got into Death Grips from a very similar position: didn't like majority of rap/hip hop and a fan of same artists.

My recommendation is just to listen to their discography chronologically, starting with Exmilitary. That way you'll see how the band has progressed. Their discography won't sound much like Aphex Twin or anything till you get to Government Plates and Niggas On The Moon, but I say embrace the different sound. Variety is good, you know?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.