[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
are there any good spotify playlists for discovering new music
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Screenshot 2016-06-22 12.38.00.png (43 KB, 205x202) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2016-06-22 12.38.00.png
43 KB, 205x202
are there any good spotify playlists for discovering new music or are they all meh? pic related...meh
>>
Idk if it's only for premium or not, (I don't think it is) but there's the Discover Weekly playlist that they update every week based on what you have saved in your library. It's pretty fucking legit, got half of my current library from it.
>>
>>65859795
pretty handy, only thing tho is I use spotify for comedy during work sometimes and that waters the discover weekly down. I'd like to find current playlists specific to genres or somethin...they offer a few on the main page but I wasn't impressed. if anybody has any recs I'm all ears
>>
>>65859889
Shit, I didn't think about that. Totally forgot spotify even has comedy. You could just put all your comedy in a playlist and avoid actually saving it to your library so it doesn't skew the results.

Additionally, a site I just found a little while back:

everynoise com

has a pretty comprehensive web of genres and artists within them, and if you hit the playlist button, it straight up links you to the spotify playlist for what you're looking at.
>>
>>65859795
What influences Discover Weekly? Play count?
>>
>>65859977
whats the difference between the pulse, the sound and the edge
>>
>>65860007
My understanding is that it's purely based on your library. Every time after I cleared out my libraries respectively, it'd always give me music that was mainly catered to whatever I replaced my old library with.
>>
>>65860029
I see. Thanks!
>>
>>65860019
Great question, I have no fucking clue.

My best guess is that pulse is like, the pulse of it, what's currently driving the genre. The edge is probably some new deep cut shit, or more obscure but potentially going to grow in popularity within the genre. I found the site on a reddit thread, let me see if I can find it again and see if someone actually explained it.
>>
>>65860058
Not him, but I'd be interested as well!
>>
>>65860082
>>65860019

The only thing I could find on the thread ended up being a direct quote from the bottom of the site:

"This is an ongoing attempt at an algorithmically-generated, readability-adjusted scatter-plot of the musical genre-space, based on data tracked and analyzed for 1465 genres by Spotify. The calibration is fuzzy, but in general down is more organic, up is more mechanical and electric; left is denser and more atmospheric, right is spikier and bouncier."

but that doesn't really explain the pulse/edge/sound situation. Let me find the playlists on spotify and see what the descriptions are.
>>
>>65860130
Sure, thanks for the effort!
>>
>>65860130
Seems like I was pretty close, actually. The descriptions for the playlists are as follows:
(I used noise pop.)

The Pulse of Noise Pop:
"The music that serious Noise Pop listeners play when they play this." (I don't know if I'm having a stroke or if that's just worded strangely.

The Sound of Noise Pop.
[No description for this one. It just has a list of "See alsos" with similar genre qualities. So I guess Sound is just the generic everything one.

The Edge of Noise Pop:
"Emerging mostly-unknown music that serious Noise Pop listeners have discovered."
>>
>>65860183
Hmm, I guess the Pulse is like 'the music that Noise Pop fanatics listen to',

The Sound is like, what you said, the more generic one,

And the Edge is new and undiscovered music.
>>
>>65860204
Yeah, seems about right. And to my knowledge the playlists are available for all the genres they have listed. Plus some extra shit. I forget how to find it on the site or on spotify, but it's called like the "New Song Sorting Hat" or some shit, and it's just essentially a Discover Weekly, but from that site specifically
>>
>>65860276
That's pretty cool, thanks!
>>
>>65860332
No problem mang. enjoy it.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.