[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The more you know about music theory, the less enjoyable music
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (482 KB, 1920x1084) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
482 KB, 1920x1084
The more you know about music theory, the less enjoyable music is.

Once it becomes a science in your head, it becomes impossible to appreciate the aesthetic qualities of the music.
>>
>>65859692
This is true for me too. I struggle with this on a DAILY basis FUCK
>>
Well yeah, I can relate to that. But even if you don't know much about what's going on theoretically, after digesting albums for years you can tell how generically formulaic a lot of music is.
>>
In some ways I like it because I notice things in music that I never would have before, and I appreciate the music I've always liked in a different way now.
>>
>>65859692
That's true about nearly every subject really. Especially if you want to make an effort to get good at something.

It can be discouraging to realize how unskilled and ignorant you are.
>>
This is some ebic b8

I'm guessing everyone in this thread doesn't know music theory.
>>
>it becomes impossible
this is not true

you just have to learn how to turn it off
>>
>>65860372

How is this bait?
>>
>>65860372
i bet u dont either m8
>>
A lot of music doesn't strictly conform to theory though, in fact it's mainly just classical that uses theory as a set of rules. In most popular music, theory can be applied retroactively, but it's not like the songwriters sat around thinking about it, they're musicians not theory students.
>>
>>65860372
>this is some epic b8
at least he warned us
>>
File: 1462480389320.gif (3 MB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1462480389320.gif
3 MB, 250x250
When is /mu/ gonna get that music theory isn't something that's gonna zap all your love for music once you learn it?? It just becomes easier to explain why you like some music, ever since i learned it I've been enjoying music even more actually.
>>
File: image.png (908 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
908 KB, 750x1334
>>65860819

>understanding music can be described by math and science
>not realizing this takes away from the magic once you realized a computer program can write a song

Stay delusional.
>>
>>65859692
I'm very knowledgeable on music theory and play 3 instruments, this meme isn't true. You probably just realized how formulaic a lot of the indie garbage you listen to is.
>>
File: 1464481658053.gif (2 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1464481658053.gif
2 MB, 200x200
>>65860969
Music theory doesn't have anything in common with science and math you idiot, now i know this is bait my man
>>
>>65860969
Just go back to /r9k/ if you're gonna keep coming up with fake reasons not to enjoy things in your life.
>>
>>65859692
Never really bothered me OP.
I started learning theory at a young age.
So, when I became a teen and started to develop my own taste, and listening to shit my friends were listening to, I was already dissecting it.

Idk, why you think music is less enjoyable now. It's actually more fun.
I love adding stuff to songs as well. Like playing a little lead keyboard or guitar over a song is an amazing feeling.
>>
>>65860709
Nice try kid.
>>65860737
I do.
>>
File: image.jpg (159 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
159 KB, 750x1334
Besides a generic chord progression, how could you be disappointed with music by knowing music theory?
>>
Get your head out of your ass, kid. What you get out of learning music theory is a choice. You are literally choosing to become dissatisfied. If you can learn to APPRECIATE music for its simplicity and science-like adherence to certain rule sets, you will find yourself much happier when you can create something that tastefully breaks these rules in various ways. If you can just get off your lazy whiny ass and stop spouting bullshit that convinces you further of these negative thoughts, you might be able to actually enjoy the thing you should be able to if you're on this board.
>>
doesn't it just force you to listen to less shitty music? Learning film language and story structure has made me get bored as fuck by generic hollywood tripe, but appreciate good films more.
>>
>>65859692
I agree and disagree. When you are playing/writing music you are aware of everything you're doing and in that sense it can be frustrating. In terms of creativity I think I was better knowing very little about theory.

For me It in no way effects listening to music from other artists. Hearing something you've never heard before is always a very cool experience.
>>
>>65860991
Everything is related to math.
>>
>>65860399
This. Only if I'm listening to a piece of classical music or something contemporary that has a specific unique element that is highly noticeable (The changing meter in Pyramid Song by Radiohead, for instance) do I even bother to listen for musical elements. Otherwise music is just enjoyable. This coming from someone who has had musical training their whole life and who is currently studying it at the university level.
>>
>>65861904
well i guess, but still, theory doesn't suck the life out of music
>>
File: 1451375999464.jpg (79 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1451375999464.jpg
79 KB, 960x720
>>65859692
>I know time signatures and keys so I can't enjoy music
what the fuck is wrong with your heads that you think this? I don't get the whole "music theory ruined my enjoyment of music" meme, like how is knowing that the music is in g minor ruining the music? Jesus you people.
>>
Not at all. You come to appreciate truly sublime works all the more, the kind you can listen to over and over. Also, music that surprises you, while hard to find, will become a real treasure. Same thing happens once you understand movies.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.