[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What happened to music in the 80's music
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: hqdefault.jpg (21 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
21 KB, 480x360
It just has this simplistic childish sound I can never get over

All I can bear is hip hop

Most mainstream metal, pop and rock have this tacky sound that just doesn't sound attractive

It's so distinct that you just know what decade it's from just by listening to the melody and not focusing on the sound of the instruments

Any thoughts?
>>
Fucking auto complete with the subject
>>
>>65852172
You are false-flagging in order to make people hate 80s rock.

And /mu/ will take the bait. Not so much because they will believe that you aren't false-flagging, but because they're looking for any excuse they can get to express their distaste for 80s rock.
>>
offhand I think It's So Easy has held up pretty well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4jXdKNGqnc
>>
>>65852196
I actually hate it

Didn't know it was a thing here
>>
Here's a comment I wrote about the subject on a music forum earlier: What you say about the 80's on one hand leads to just what you said, but on the other it leads to a new counter culture. The 80's has tons of great post-punk/ post-hardcore releases - indie music really comes to fruition.

While lots of our beloved rock'n'roll heroes meet their downfall, new ones step up to the plate. Joy Division, Stone Roses, Pixies, Talking Heads, The Smiths, The Cure, Hüsker Dü and ironically enough The Fall all come to define the 80's - renewing the dusty trite-and-true type formulaic sounds that appeared with the old generations decay. Whist classic rock came to die, alternative came to be. As far as I'm concerned, the 80's wasn't that bad after all.
>>
>>65852205
Whether you actually hate it or not is irrelevant. Whether you're expressing a positive opinion about it or not is irrelevant.

You made an OP in which 80s rock is mentioned.

Therefore, you're trying to make people hate it. You are not trying to get people's thoughts on your opinion. You are not trying to understand its appeal. You are not even trying to convince people that they shouldn't like it.

You are attempting to use /mu/'s kneejerk reactions against anything mentioned in an OP (in good or bad) to get other people to hate what you're mentioning. Not to convince them that it's bad, just to trigger them into hating it.

This is evidenced by your use of the expression "any thoughts?"

People who try to make other people hate something typically use that expression. It's like a powerword that's supposed to entice them to take a negative stand on the issue you brought up regardless of the opinion you expressed.
>>
80s music is fine
>>
>>65852172
Digital reverb
>>
>>65852272
>caring this hard
why?
>>
>>65852205
It's a meme to hate 80's everything around here.

Yes, a lot of what was produced in that decade was tacky. I find it refreshing relative to the 70's and 90's.
>>
>>65852293
Because I like 80s rock and hate the fact that so many /mu/tants try to manipulate each other in such cheap ways.
>>
80s punk, post-punk, and new wave were good.
>>
>>65852196
>false-flagging /mu/
Man, you clever as fuck. Made me laugh.
>>
>Daydream Nation
>>
>>65852317
>don't make fun of what i like!!
>>
>>65852321
>you clever
I'm just not quite as stupid as OP.
>>
>>65852172
Without 80s music you wouldn't have production arts as they are today.
Also, Tears for Fears is fucking awesome.
>>
>>65852334
But you didn't even try to make fun of anything, you merely used a magical formula, "any thoughts?" to make people hate something.

Not to make them humor it, to make them hate it.
>>
>>65852312
Not really a /mu/tant but damn i can relate
>>
>>65852366
not OP.
literally, you have no concrete proof of this "any thoughts?" = instant hate phenomenon happening, you're just complaining because OP said he doesn't like 80s music. So what?
you're intentionally trying to overanalyze and sound smart to make people like 80s music, when most people on /mu/ don't.
[spoiler] because its really not that good [/spoiler]
>>
>>65852366
OP here
I honestly just don't like most of 80's music, man

I wanted to see if I was the only one
I'm not a /mu/tant so I didn't even know it was a thing to hate 80's music
>>
The 80s was a cultural golden age, the 60s, 70s, and 90s, were all misereble and lame. The 80s was neon, happy, decadent, it was the most American decade ever
>>
>>65852403
it's good music, because it's fun without sounding girly.

That's about it.

>you have no concrete proof
there's no such thing as "concrete proof", I could dig out all the dozens of cheap troll threads I've seen use that expression, make statistics of it, and you could still express doubts about it whether it convinced you or not.
>>
>>65852414
Of course you're not the only one, you idiot, most people don't even know 80s music outside of a handful of radio hits
>>
File: b8.jpg (18 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
b8.jpg
18 KB, 600x600
>>65852437
>>
>>65852441
>good music
>because its fun
>that's about it
>>
>>65852460
Damn fucking right, and no amount of greentexting will prevent it from being true.

Fun is good unless it sounds faggy (like recent club-oriented EDM for instance). There are other ways to make good music but as long as it's just fun, then it's enough.
>>
File: 80's playlist.jpg (384 KB, 444x1925) Image search: [Google]
80's playlist.jpg
384 KB, 444x1925
>>65852378
Like the 70's were so damn pretentious, and that started popping up again in the 90's. There's great stuff from every decade, but right now I'd probably 80's is my favorite. Hell, this is what's on my iPod right now. I sorted all the tracks by bpm (slowest to fastest) because autism. And really, if you can't enjoy this music, you're just a depressing person.
>>
>>65852459
What's b8? Everything in the 80s was funner, even the self loathing music was funner. the 60s and 70s were terrible
>>
>>65852491
The content of your post has zero importance: you're making a statement without answering to a previous post.

Therefore you're baiting.
People just don't make broad sweeping statements in the middle of a thread unless they're trying to stir shit up.
>>
>>65852485
I really like the 60's and early 70's
And some more recent bands < 00'

But of course I'm not strict with dates

This just represents the majority
>>
>>65852478
this is some hardcore b8
>>
>>65852521
>The content of your post has zero importance
Same goes for you, I'm only stating my opinion. The 60s were terrible after the 50s which were pretty damn cool. The 70s were gross as fuck, and the 90s were even grosser
>>
>>65852478
this was fun. energetic and captured all the 80's was about. Electronic drums, heavy on keyboards , synths, popular movie tie-in, soaring vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWcASV2sey0
>>
>>65852596
whether it's your opinion or not has no importance.

It's a general statement dropped in the middle of a conversation, therefore it's bait
>>
>>65852580
it may be, but it's also the truth. I know many people on /mu/ have a hard-on for un-fun music and despise fun, but fun is literally good.
>>
>>65852359
odd, i'm listening to The Hurting for the first time right now. 4/10 so far
>>
>>65852618
This thread is about the 80s you autistic virgin
>>
>>65852638
Blasphemy!
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.