[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are autistic people so drawn to metal?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
Why are autistic people so drawn to metal?
>>
good thread OP, but I have one concern. What studies support this hypothesis?
>>
>>65844093
apparently its an actual phenomenon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_FNIlcdtWE
http://www.deathmetal.org/forum/index.php?topic=6470.0
>>
Hey Youtube My Name Is Autistic Death Grips Fan
>>
>>65844042
This is not true, if it was /mu/ would like metal much more than they do now.
>>
>why are outsiders drawn to outsider music

gee whiz OP this is gonna be a tough case to crack
>>
>>65844224
/thread
>>
File: 1458001363469.jpg (51 KB, 540x429) Image search: [Google]
1458001363469.jpg
51 KB, 540x429
>>65844133
>aspies are outsiders
Ouch, why
>>
>>65844224
how the fuck is metal outsider music

i don't think you know what outsider music is
>>
>>65844224
metal is not outsider music though you fucking edgelord
>>
Literally every metal fan i've ever met is an edgy basement dweller that looks like Jesus Christ
>>
>>65844282
he's not talking about the genre outsider music, dipshit
>>
>>65844282
>tips Pitchfork
>>
>>65844282
if you've ever been off the internet for over 24 hours and happened to discuss metal during your time you'd probably noticed it's generally disliked and often misrepresented. Ex: people calling death metal or black metal 'screamo'
>>
>>65844292
>>65844282
Go listen to your Bieber and The Young Thug you faggots. Metal is for real men, the hearts of darkness, the followers of lord Odin.
>>
>>65844282
>>65844292
I obviously don't mean as in the fucking descriptive term outsider music like Daniel Johnston use context clues dweebs.

Also leave /mu/, see the real world, come back and then delete your post because you're a spastic
>>
>>65844325
Please don't
>>
>>65844320
notice*

my bad

and also, that poster isn't saying it's "outsider music" genre-wise
>>
>>65844325
>cringe
>>
File: josh.jpg (25 KB, 511x288) Image search: [Google]
josh.jpg
25 KB, 511x288
>>
File: image.jpg (128 KB, 779x529) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
128 KB, 779x529
>>
>>65844292
rofl you just know this dumbass had daniel johnston and jandek in the back of his mind when he was typing this
>>
>>65844042
because they're not able to express their emotions as well as functioning/neurotypical people and metal is usually mostly an intense expression of emotions (typically one of anger)
>>
Autism is gr8
>>
Lord Sonic will smite thee for saying metal's name in vain.

You better run fast, kid. Because he takes no prisoners.
>>
>>65844444
CHECK EM
>>
>>65844444
Quits confirm, autism is new cool
>>
>>65844479
you can tell yourself that
girls still won't fuck you
>>
>>65844444
nice
>>
>>65844502
It's called a joke anon, I already know I'll never get laid
>>
>>65844550
at least you're honest

you're already ahead of /pol/
>>
>>65844133
>deathmetal.org
Literally the worst metal site on the Internet. Even worse than MetalSucks and MetalInjection.
>>
We can go one better. Why are autistic people so drawn to /mu/ core.
>>
>>65844443
>neurotypical

about a month ago i hung out with an old friend from high school (known him since i was like 10) i once perceived as this because of how he acted in school and i came to find out he's just as much of a self-loathing sperg as he used to be in middle school. was a very grounding experience.
>>
>>65844575
>worse than MetalSucks
I such a thing even possible?
>>
autistic people are losers
metal is for losers

ergo, autistic people like metal
>>
>>65844614
At least with MetalSucks they're just trolling/being dicks on purpose with what they say.

Deathmetal.org is equally embarrassing, but with zero self awareness (they tried to single-handedly start #metalgate, and a bunch of their articles are about how metal is the most intellectually superior genre of music). Oh, and the comments are often even worse.
>>
>>65844042

Because a lot of metal the way it's written and performed is very clinical and organised and synchronised, sequences of repeating riffs and lots of different sections that have a quite almost mathematical progression and pattern-based nature to them that I imagine appeals a lot to autistic people.
On top of that both the vibe and sounds of the instruments and the lyrics often involve expressions of power, strength, aggression, defeating your enemies ect. which might appeal to someone who doesn't have a lot of power in their life - alternatively if it's not that metal often deals with feelings of alienation, not fitting in, hating normal people, OR with fantasy themes about monsters and adventures and shit. All things I can imagine appealing to that sort of person.
It also often features lots of fast or technical sounding playing which is good for autistic people because they might not understand musical subjectivity and mistake this kind of complexity or speed as meaning that metal musicians are the best musicians and hence they have chosen the "correct" style of music compared to others, and being able to support that with what they thing are facts about speed and complexity and whatnot would make them feel safe and self assured in that choice, as well as opening up the avenue for them to look down on listeners to other genres listeners and gain a superiority complex about their music taste, which is good for supporting their ego.
>>
>>65844817
>very clinical and organised and synchronised
maybe for like prog metal or something... Most metal especially extreme metal is known for its loose song structures. You would be hard-pressed to find any death metal band that adheres to the verse-chorus-verse formula. Music theory isn't terribly important for devising metal riffs, so a lot of it is done by "feel."
>>
I have aspergers and I actually hate metal.
>>
>>65844224
Outsider music is Daniel Johnston and Throbbing Gristle, not white suburban kid metal you tool.
>>
>>65845319
Congrats on skipping everything between that post and shooting your mouth
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.