[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I doubt anyone can write a decent explanation as to why Blurryface
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 10
File: blurryface.png (72 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
blurryface.png
72 KB, 300x300
I doubt anyone can write a decent explanation as to why Blurryface isn't good
>>
because it sucks
>>
There is no vocal flow at all, the lyrics are garbage, and the beats are kinda boring.

I will admit, I like the album cover.
>>
Sometimes a certain smell will take me back to when I was young
How come I'm never able to identify where it's coming from
I'd make a candle out of it if I ever found it
Try to sell it, never sell out of it, I'd probably only sell one

It'd be to my brother, 'cause we have the same nose

Lyricsblow
>>
>>65824604
/thread
>>
>>65824543
How about you write a decent explanation as to why it IS good. That's because you can't. The album is pop garbage with poor rapping and cringey, hamfisted lyrics. Fuck off with this meme.
>>
simple rhymes take me out of it. They're not good at switching genres.

Lane Boy is actually a pretty good song though.
>>
>>65824604
cringed tbqh
>>
File: 1466485303905.jpg (59 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1466485303905.jpg
59 KB, 640x640
>>65824563
>>65824565
>>65824604
>>65824625
>>65824627
>>
>>65824543
I can't. Tell me why it is good
>>
Is there even such a thing as Twenty One Pilot fans, or just Blurryface fans? Does anyone ever talk about their previous work?
>>
>>65824543
It's painfully mediocre. Catchy instrumentals don't make up for shitty lyricism.
>>
>>65824668
The fuck
>>
when they rap they sound like childish gambino and its cringe af
>>
>>65824543
how could it be good if it's bad
>>
>>65824668
this is some next level cucking if i've ever seen it
>>
>>65824668
I like this guy. You have yourself a deal, sir.
>>
>>65824728
vessel was a great album, blurryface sucks
>>
File: image.jpg (91 KB, 640x654) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91 KB, 640x654
look at these lyrics. How hard do you think these take to come up with. Simple rhymes. horrible flow
>>
>>65824744
>Kanye...

This album still sucks dick though.
>>
>>65824858
>my skin will scream
>reminding me of
>who i killed inside my dream
cringe
>>
>>65824883
but Kanye has (had) good lyrics, though
>>
>>65824563
>>65824565
>>65824604
>>65824634
>>65824744
>>65824774
>>65824858
i said *decent* explanation.
>>
>>65824905
yeah, guys, these are all excellent explanations
>>
>>65824905
When you have a ton of shallow explanations that all point to the subject being bad (or good), then it's probably not a bad indicator for something...
>>
File: picture.png (22 KB, 304x619) Image search: [Google]
picture.png
22 KB, 304x619
>>65824604
>>65824744
>>65824858
>>65824886
>cringe lyrics are horrible
>b-but it's fine when NIN does it
>>
>>65824977
i dont like NIN
>>
>>65824883
Kanye's lyricism post graduation have been pretty ass, but he's an exception.
>>
File: cal face.jpg (8 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
cal face.jpg
8 KB, 320x320
>>65824977
lmao where did you get the idea that anyone who doesn't like twentyonepilots likes NIN
>>
>>65825008
>post graduation
its arguably gotten better Tbh
>>
>>65824977
It's not fine when NIN does it, Trent just makes up for it by having good production and lyrical delivery and not relying on shitty autotune as much.
>>
>>65824977

None of us even used NIN as a lyrics for reference.

>Get your meme-ass outta here, famalam. I don't even like NIN's stuff that much.
>>
>>65824977
I don't know too many people who would defend With Teeth
>>
>>65825083
It's actually a good album, though definitely worse than anything NIN did before it.
>>
>>65824905
There has been 7 brief explanations as to why it is bad. Can you offer a single explanation as to why it is good?
>>
>>65825016
Give me a good example please.

>inb4 She find pictures in my email

>inb4 I sent this bitch a picture of my dick
>>
File: Trout_Mask_Replica.png (159 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Trout_Mask_Replica.png
159 KB, 300x300
I don't know why anyone would listen to that album when they could listen to Trout Mask Replica instead.
>>
>>65824543
The first verse is infuriating.

>I wish I found some better sounds no one's ever heard.

No you don't. If you wanted to do that you'd make music like Faust, not fucking Taylor Swift.

>I wish I had a better voice and sang some better words

Take a ton of singing lessons, it can only make you stronger. As for songwriting, well, get inspired and get writing.

>I wish I found some chords in an order that is new.

Is that why you wrote a full on pop song? Your wishes of experimenting are full of shit.

>I wish I didn't have to rhyme every time I sang

That's cute. No one said you had to. If you weren't writing this top 40 pandering schlock and using your talent for some smarter pop then who knows? Maybe you will find some of these traits. Until then you're wasting your time.
>>
>>65824858
"I could pull the steering wheel" is a good lyric. What's that called? The call of the void or some shit?

Everything else was god awful.
>>
>>65825194
Its a metaphor, you pleb
>>
>>65824977

This is what good lyrics about depression look like.
>>
>>65825294
except the words are "waste your morning," not "waste your money"
>>
Maybe the rest of the song is, but this trite little verse sure as shit isn't. If you think everything has been done in music then you aren't looking in the right places. Loveless and Spiderland proved that music could still be innovative and popular (though not radio friendly) in 1991 after everyone thought it had all been done.

But 21 pilots shouldn't complain about this because with their current direction they will never make anything innovative. The notion that they truly want to live up to their own expectations here is a farce and anyone who doesn't call them on it is just being complacent to their own delusions.
>>
>>65825294
>bright
>tonight
*cringe*
>>
>>65825194
Dude, he's wishing he could do those things. That implies that he's tried to make something new and innovative but can't.

I agree that the album is trash, but that verse is about being unsatisfied with what you make. That flew over your head completely
>>
>>65825350
I caught it. I think that bitching about your inability to make something brand new when you are off in the land of generic garbage is like complaining about your lack of promotions at mcdonalds.
>>
>>65825257
lol
>>
>>65825350
>>65825383
No, actually, it's not. It's more like complaining that you don't have the talent to get hired anywhere but McDonald's.
>>
>>65825417
I'd be tempted to agree but they haven't even tried in a public setting yet. If you want to go and do something innovative you should go out and actually try.

Now if these guys have tried making mold breaking material and have failed every time, simply not releasing the material, that might be something to sing in detail about. You can transform it from the vague bitching found on this song into a more universal theme of private failure. That would be moving.

This crap doesn't cut it.
>>
>>65824858
>who I killed inside my dream
>I hate this car that I'm drive ING

Having to change the stress of the syllable to keep a rhyme means that someone is objectively and empirically a terrible lyricist.
>>
>"Listen, I know this one's a contradiction because of how happy it sounds,
But the lyrics are so down,"

>spoonfeeding this hard.

This is the lyric that pisses me off the most.
>>
>>65825493
It's passable if you're not listening to music for lyrics, which applies to me. It's not poetry though.
>>
>>65825614
Its a metaphor
>>
>>65825886
You have a great english teacher :)
>>
>>65824543
It's just bad desu, like the vocals make me cringe so fucking hard, especially when they try to "rap"
>>
>>65824774
HEY. Keep Gambino out of this.
>>
>>65825484
You might be right. What would a more moving song about personal failure look like from an artist complaining that he wishes he could write "better words" though?

idk, you're probably right. I just thought the other guy had a really good point.
>>
>>65824815
This so much
>>
>>65825614
This is exactly why I don't like this band. They don't even try to make their angst subtle, and so it just ends up coming across as whiny and forced. Are today's teenagers really so stupid that they need to be spoonfed this hard?
>>
4Chan's Music Board Has Now Lowered To Such A State Where Anons Need To Unironically Justify Their Opinion As To Why They Don't Like Garbage Generic Pop Music
>>
>>65827167
This
>>
>>65825116

the obvious one:

>Penitentiary chances, the devil dances
>And eventually answers to the call of Autumn
>All of them fallin' for the love of ballin'
>Got caught with thirty rocks, the cop look like Alec Baldwin
>Inter century anthems based off inner city tantrums
>Based off the way we was branded

other examples

>On a bathroom wall I wrote
>"I'd rather argue with you than to be with someone else" (else, else, else)
>I took a piss and dismiss it like fuck it and went and found somebody else
>Fuck arguing harvesting the feelings, I'd rather be by my fucking self
>Till about 2 A.M. and I call back and I hang up and start to blame myself
>Somebody help

>The best living or dead hands down huh?
>Less talk more head right now huh?
>And my eyes more red than the devil is
>And I'm bout to take it to another level bitch
>Don't matter who you go and get, ain't nobody as cold as this
>Do the rap and the track triple double no assist
>And my only focus is staying on some bogus shit
>Arguin' with my older bitch acting like I owe her shit
>I heard the beat the same raps that give the track pain
>Bought the chain that always give me back pain
>Fuckin' up my money so yeah I had to act sane
>Chi nigga but these hos love my accent
>>
Evrybudy hoo posts in thes thredz is just purpatuaytin a shnitty mem.
Including me!!!!
>>
>>65827292
this hurt to read
>>
>>65824858
this is not from blurryface tho
>>
>>65825294
Makes me want to take a walk.
>>
>>65824668
Exactly bro
>>
>>65824543
the same.....
>>
>>65824543
nice copy paste fag
>>
>>65827350
nah but fans are saying the album this is on is better than Blurryface, so potentially being worse than that monstrosity is even more of a death sentence
>>
>>65826788
You sure are better than the teenagers of today!!
>>
>>65827474
That's what I do when I'm feeling down.
>>
>>65824883
Kanye's lyrics are incredible and flowing with creativity. And 21p's lyrics are overwrought, overworked and cringy
>>
>>65826186
Gambino is shit
>>
>>65829283
Everyone who thinks they have debilitating problems should take more walks. It makes me feel a little better about everything. No one believes me.
>>
>>65829764
21p > kanye
>>
>>65824563
kek'd
>>
>>65824543
It's a good album, it does not flow well the songs are kind of un attached it works as an album should but not as a story.
>>
>>65829954
gambino is occasionally great, generally at least alright, and occasionally a fucking dumpster fire

he's really fucking divisive for some reason though and i can't understand why for the life of me, he's pretty inoffensive 2bh
>>
>>65824543
Vessel is better.
>>
File: image.jpg (155 KB, 782x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
155 KB, 782x960
>>65824668
>>
File: image.gif (174 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
174 KB, 300x300
>>65825257
>>
>>65825127
Car radios get stolen in Frownland.
>>
>>65825194
bing this triggered.
>>
Now is the climax to the story
That gives the demons and angels purpose
They fly around while we are walking
And mold our emotions just to please them

I am cold, can you hear?
I will fly with no hope, no fear
And the ground taunts my wings
Plummet as I sing, plummet as I sing

All we are is an isle of flightless birds
We find our worth in giving birth and stuff
We're lining our homes against winding roads
And we think the going is tough
We pick songs to sing, remind us of things that nobody cares about
And honestly we're probably more suicidal than ever now

If you decide to live by, what you think's wrong and what's right
Believe me you'll begin to wish you were sleeping
Your weeping will creep in your head and you'll cry
But if we wake up every morning and decide what we believe
We can take apart our very heart and the light will set us free

I am cold, can you hear?
Plummet as I sing, plummet as I...

I am cold, can you hear?
Plummet as I sing, plummet as I sing

How frustrating and so degrading
His time, we're wasting
As time will fly by and the sky will cry as light is fading
And he is waiting, oh so patiently
While we repeat the same routine as we will please comfortability
Please don't think about why you can't sleep in the evening
And please don't be afraid of what your soul is really thinking
Your soul knows good and evil, your soul knows both sides
And it's time you pick your battle, and I promise you this is mine
(I promise you)

This is off their first album, thoughts?
>>
File: tumblr_maq7bkd8Qf1r72ht7o1_500.gif (279 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_maq7bkd8Qf1r72ht7o1_500.gif
279 KB, 500x375
>>65824543
you better acknowledge this op because i dedicated several minutes of my life to prove to you how shit this band and album is
>pandering
>cultural appropriation
>amalgamation of every distasteful pop cliche from the past decade
>attempt at ecclicticity winds up sounding like an uninspired directionless mess
>whiney annoying voice which has no right to be rapping
>terrible lyrics
>built around umbrella marketability to the edgy teen demographic, masked under a thin facade of pseudo-depth
>essentially the brainstormed project of a board of businessmen trying to make money in the music industry
>fake as shit
>extremely corny, flavor of the year tropes which will sound laughably bad with a couple years' hindsight, just like mumford and sons, or evanescence
>>
They are the Linkin Park of this generation.
Debate me.
>>
>>65834455
>>65834382

>>extremely corny, flavor of the year tropes which will sound laughably bad with a couple years' hindsight, just like mumford and sons, or evanescence
you could add linkin park to this list too
>>
>>65824543
The songwriting is lazy and the production is really bare and boring at times.
>>
>>65834382
>cultural appropriation
Could have just said they made shitty reggae music don't have to turn into a fucking retard over here.
>>
>>65834775
how does that make me a retard? plus op was asking for objective criticisms, not opinion based, shit-slinging insults
>>
>>65834909
Because literally all music is "cultural appropriation"
>>
>>65834945
ok fine, but the degree to which people steal from other cultures is extremely varying. you could say that anyone playing rock music is stealing from black people, but that's something that's had 60 years to ingrain itself into the multicultural mainstream. most rock bands today are stealing much more from the velvet underground than they are from tommy johnson or son house. 21 pilots is stealing from hip hop, reggae, and indie rock culture. three communities where their little rich white asses have no business being
>>
>>65835103
That's dumb, people can make whatever music they want. I don't really see why your idea of voluntary cultural segregation is preferable.
>>
>>65835103
Under your logic stefan shouldn't borrow so heavily from white punk rock vocalists because he's a black man who primarily makes hip hop music.
>>
>>65833162
I can respect this as a stand alone text, despite my complete repulsion of their other works I've heard/read. It's a very simple and conventional monotheistic idea that's being conveyed here with very little in the way of metaphor to make the concept interesting. A fair bit of odd syntax and diction dress up this sort of elementary poem in a way that I find acceptable. I can't call this an example of this kid being a good writer, however, as the simple concept of "Hey, y'all choose to be shitty and evil and God don't like it," isn't terribly interesting, or novel, or even focused in these lyrics.

Are there better tracks off their first album? Despite my gripes, this is generally promising.
>>
>>65835222
I would agree with you if I didn't know so many pop artists that were better writers than this when they were younger.

EX: Conor Oberst, Alex Turner, Isaac Brock, Jesse Lacey
>>
>>65835209
>>65835183
there's a difference between being artistically inspired by a certain culture, and letting that influence the art that you're making, and stealing from a culture that's popular at the time because you know people will eat it up and give you money. and it's way worse when you're stealing from THREE different popular cultures.

either way, i understand how the cultural appropriation remark could be debatable, but that's only one of like ten criticisms that i made
>>
>>65835353
Meh I don't really see how you could make that distinction without knowing the artists themselves personally but I think you're basically just saying that they force their sound.
>>
>>65835379
Which I agree with. Their songs that sound more natural are better. For example I honestly don't have any qualms with the song "goner" on blurryface because it doesn't seem forced.
>>
>>65835379
>>65835415
>but I think you're basically just saying that they force their sound.
yeah i guess so. but in a way that that steals stylistically from all over the place. i agree that the distinction is difficult to make, but when it's pop music (music that was designed to sell copies) it's hard to think that they were taking from other genres for purely artistic reasons
>>
Daily reminder that Twenty One Pilots are true visionaries who have invented an entirely new genre of music.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty_One_Pilots#Musical_style_and_influence
>People typically have trouble affiliating the band to a specific genre to describe them, since they bridge so many. However, many fans (and themselves to a degree) have labeled their genre as "Schizophrenic pop" (also known as Schizoid pop), a technically unofficial subgenre of pop.
>>
>>65829974
I believe you, taking walks is the best.
>>
>>65836661
>People typically have trouble affiliating the band to a specific genre to describe them, since they bridge so many
see
>>65834382
>>
>>65824543
you've made like 90 posts about this one shitty album in the past week
literally nobody except you thinks it's good and you haven't changed anyone's minds by memeing it
stop
>>
>>65834382
/thread
>>
>>65836661
that's because their fans are 13 year olds who only know "rock" "country" and "rap" as genres
>>
>>65824977
Falling for the "appeal to hypocrisy" meme
>>
I've literally never listened to 21 Pilots, what genre are they?
>>
>>65837547
see
>>65836661
>>
>>65837547
indie hip-hop
also known as "shit"
>>
>>65836661
its pop
>>
>>65835103
Are you implying little rich white kids don't belong in "indie rock?" Also, how do you feel about the Beastie Boys?
>>
>>65838009
>Are you implying little rich white kids don't belong in "indie rock?"
not the original indie rock movement. white? sure. rich? hell no. the whole point of indie was for poor druggies to make rock in in their garage with their other burnout friends.

i'm honestly not a huge fan of the beastie boys, but at least they made some big strides forward with hip hop production techniques
Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.