[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SWANS -- The Glowing PAN
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 4
Guys, by the end of the week P4K will have given the new Swans LP a lower score than Colouring Book all because someone accused Gira of the rape.
>inb4 who cares about pitchfork—it's just sad to see an artist's work (and a damn good one at that) hung out to dry for political reasons.
>>
reminder that Mark Kozelek got panned just because of supposed misogyny

Swans are getting a <4.0.
>>
No it will be given a lower score because it's a worse/not good album.
>>
>>65820864
5 bucks says it gets an 8.8 BNM despite the rape allegation
>>
>>65820864
But it's relevant to the art ya dingus
>>
They won't straight-up pan it, but it won't get BNM. The review will be multiple paragraphs talking about the rape accusation and muh sojiny in the music industry, then some vague bullshit about them not being innovative enough to cover up the fact that they're punishing them for the accusation.

A shame, since it's the best of their recent three and one of the best of their whole career, deserves a 9+.
On the other hand, I doubt anyone from the band cares at all. Also, the more music-as-an-accessory p4k fags who are turned off of Swans, the better.
>>
>>65820983
lets hope people wise up to music reviews that are about other bullshit than the actual album
>>
>>65820960

Exactly what lubricants are you using? Is the grease fair trade certified? Can you bottle it, and would you be willing to sell me that bottle? Approximately how long did it take you to fully cover yourself in aforementioned products?
>>
>>65820983
Do you think Gira likes having /pol/ as a fanbase?
>>
>>65820920
lol
>>
>>65820898
I dunno, Ariel Pink called Grimes "stupid and retarded", made fun of Madonna, and had "Black Ballerina" on Pom Pom and they still gave it BNM and put it near the top of their 2015 list. I don't think they care about the politics of musicians as much as /mu/ thinks they do.
>>
>>65821041
How am I wrong?
>>65821043
tbf Grimes was being stupid and retarded legitimately
P4k doesn't like her that much
>>
>>65821037
1) he's never even mentioned on pol
2) do you think his old ass even knows what 4chan is
>>
>>65821012
>wise up to music reviews that are about other bullshit than the actual album
No music reviewer that reduces a work of art to a number out of 10 for clicks should be listened to. It's "telling people what they should be listening to" at its purest form. Pitchfork, TMT, even The Needle Drop are authorities on music, and it's obscene how their judgement on music can change how it's discussed not only here, but all across the internet. It actually makes me angry how they reduce music to something that's an "x out of 10", "good or bad", instead of encouraging discussion on it, talking about what they thought were the strong/weak points of the album.
Pitchfork shouldn't fucking exist. No score-based rating systems for art should exist.
>>
>>65821067
you're not wrong, you're just the only nigga still care about mixtapes
>>
>>65821093
>are authorities on music,
lol
>>
>>65821037
Nah /pol/ mostly listens to shitty metal or bad nationalist music
>>
>>65821090
Not what I mean

Immigrants from /pol/ come here and praise Swans and slut-shame Larkin. Do you think he likes knowing that those types listen to his music?
>>65821120
See above
>>
>>65821067
Maybe, but I think people overestimate the amount of politics that go into deciding an album score. Also I'm pretty sure there was a pitchfork essay about Ariel being a misogynist.
>>
>>65821043
With the exception of Mark Kozelek, P4K tends to only provide bonuses to "relevant, progressive" artists like Kendrick, Grimes and Beyonce, and doesn't often dock points for being un-PC, or accused of something unsavoury.
>>
>>65821067
>>65821159
Yeah here it is: http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/566-op-ed-ariel-pinks-joke-isnt-funny-anymore/
>>
>>65821175
plus with mark k it was personal cos laura snapes (the writer who he called a bitch) works at p4k
>>
>>65821037
>>65821138
You're an idiot if you think that people from /pol/ are now listening to Swans just because Gira is the victim of a false rape allegation. At the very least, some left-leaning Swans fans may have been alienated and some right-leaning might defend him more vehemently, but that's it.
>>
>>65820864
why don't you wait for the review to actually happen before responding to it?

that would seem to make more sense

or if you really want to tread into genius territory... realize that this is a comical and meaningless issue
>>
>>65821159
>>65821194
Pom Pom got higher than Art Angels.
P4k couldn't even rationalize giving Grimes a high score.
>>
Yeah I see at least one other person saying this, but the Universal Themes shit was mainly because Laura has a lot of pull at Pitchfork.

I got banned from their Facebook page for criticizing her work one time.

She's uber sensitive or something.
>>
>>65821037
/pol/ listens to red hot chili peppers and comparable bands

99% of them wouldn't even be aware of swans
>>
>>65820864
the sad thing is that (even as the type of person that a lot of you might construe as an "sjw") the allegations are completely unfounded and totally bullshit, to the point that most of the public posts she made have been retracted and everybody's moved on with their lives. there's no way larkin grimm is of sound mind anyays
>>
>>65821138
There's no evidence even suggesting the possibility that Larkin is telling the truth.
>he's built /pol/ into such a boogeyman that he imagines them standing by until a literally who musician accuses an underground musician of rape so that they can come to a different board and dare post opinions he doesn't agree with
>>
File: 1445710587963.jpg (49 KB, 423x389) Image search: [Google]
1445710587963.jpg
49 KB, 423x389
>>65820864
If the album is good, it will be remembered regardless of what some shitty reviewer thinks. Mars Volta and Tim Kinsella survived critical panning from hipsters at p4k acting like they can judge "pretentiousness", I'm sure Swans can do the same. Reviewers are jokes anyways, and their hanging of albums is no different from me hanging laundry, and about as interesting as it too. I will never understand why people value critic's opinions over their own satisfaction.
>>
>>65821211
I'm very very left wing an am not alienated though, it's just something inherently unknowable so I don't give a fuck

Recommend others do the same
>>
>>65821215
thnks 4 the enlightening bby
>>
also are pitchfork reviews due for tonight?
>>
>>65821264
>There's no evidence even suggesting the possibility that Larkin is telling the truth.
Quote me where I said she was
>so that they can come to a different board and dare post opinions he doesn't agree with
Quote me where I said my opinion

Do you think he's embarrassed to have a culture warrior like you as a fan?
>>65821211
>right-leaning might defend him more vehemently, but that's it.
That's what I mean.
>>
>>65821279
I was using "left-wing" as a euphemism for SJW
>>
>>65821279
>I'm very very left wing
sorry bernie baby but we don't consider you one of us

we're real radicals here that have REAL intellectual discussions. not something i think you'd be all that familiar with. so go back to r/sandersforpresident and let the big dawgs play
>>
>>65821361
no really most people on here would call me an SJW and I had socjus people I talked to and was friendly with and I still don't give a fuck
>>
>>65821404
Embarrassing for Gira
>>
>>65821439
Do you ever stop talking about yourself? Shut the fuck up you deranged geek.
>>
>>65821500
I think you need to lick my asshole you fucking dork
>>
File: Pitchfork 2009 to 2015.png (1 MB, 1011x1980) Image search: [Google]
Pitchfork 2009 to 2015.png
1 MB, 1011x1980
>>65821043

Pitchfork has no political agenda
>>
>>65821550
>popular music tastes are changing and this is bad
how's being the modern equivalent of a dadrock faggot, dude
>>
Is Swans worth seeing live?
>>
>>65821590
>if you're not a cuck you're a dadrocker!

ok
>>
>>65821175
It's funny how that p4k review tainted peoples perception of Universal Themes, it was a beautiful progression and expansion of what he did with Benji, I'm hardpressed to to choose a favorite out of the two albums, they are both fantastic. Universal Themes is definitely one of the most experimental folk LP's I've heard, its easily an 8.5/10 for me.
>>
>>65821203
A "spoiled rich kid blogger bitch".

Kek, I love Mark. He's been making music since these p4k reviewers where in their daddy's sack and he knows how to banter. They will never win.
>>
>>65821616
Agreed, my dude.
>>
>>65821608
hahaha how insecure can you be

g-guys im not a cuck look i dont listen to black music!!
>>
>>65821645
I didn't even read what he had to say but I have a feeling he was totally fucking right
>>
>>65821590
If you don't like contemporary negro music about asses titties and fucking white women you're a dadrocker!!!
>>
>>65821598
You can't live inside the sound unless you see them live. It's an experience worth the price of admission.
>>
>>65821665
That's okay Carl, keep listening to Drake and Young Thug with your girl, I'm sure it won't condition her to be curious about the BBC at all! Let her go to a YT concert by herself anon! I'm sure she won't burn the coal behind your back!!
>>
>>65820864
Gira getting accused of rape is like a rapper getting accused of having illegal guns and drugs.
>>
>>65821730
>>65821774
>being mentally ill
seek help
>>
>>65821818
>rapper getting accused of having illegal guns and drugs
So... it's relevant to their art.
>>
File: Gibbs Me Dat Pussy.png (325 KB, 1542x1075) Image search: [Google]
Gibbs Me Dat Pussy.png
325 KB, 1542x1075
What did they mean by this?
>>
>>65821837
>said the Swansfan
>>
>>65821838
but violence and explicit dark sexual themes aren't in Swans music?
>>
>>65821837
>being a complete submissive beta nu male cuck

Seek testosterone, I can't wait until your gf or future gf burns the coal because you're so socially progressive and "totally chill with her hanging out with other dudes while you're not around".
>>
>>65821864
Why do you keep calling Swans fans mentally ill? I think I read somebody saying that whenever they met Swans fans they had some life issues or were self-harmers or something. Tell me what you think.
>>
>>65821880
But it is?
>>65821896
Are you a cutter?
>>
>>65821854
A black man is surely just being opressed by the cis white hetropatriarchal justice system!
>>
>>65821907
>>65821880
Yes thats my whole point. please respond to that lol
>>
>>65820864
U
>>
>>65821854

http://www.stereogum.com/1880909/freddie-gibbs-has-reportedly-been-arrested-in-france-on-rape-charges/news/

Stereogum comment section has the highest concentration of nu-male cucks I've ever seen
>>
>>65821947
I did respond.

What do you want to know?
>>
>>65821907
Why are you asking? I actually want to know what you think lol
>>
>>65821967
About what? What is your question?
>>
>>65821981
>Why do you keep calling Swans fans mentally ill? I think I read somebody saying that whenever they met Swans fans they had some life issues or were self-harmers or something. Tell me what you think.
>>
>>65820920
i agree that its bad (because its swans) but its naive to think the rape accusations won't have any sway on uber-liberal p4k
>>
>>65822008
>Tell me what you think.
About what?
>>
>>65822027
>Why do you keep calling Swans fans mentally ill?
>>
>>65822054
Why do you keep calling Larkin mentally ill?
>>
>>65821067
>P4k doesn't like her that much
Are you out of your mind?
They said Oblivion is the best song of the decade so far
>>
>>65820898
That review single handily kept that album from being discussed with any fervor on /mu/ and that's a goddamned shame
>>
>>65821616
UT is actually really forward thinking and boundary breaking poetry and its criminally underrated.
Listen to "Birds of Flims" and tells that anyone could make a song about them eating fucking cornbread and talking to a girl in a bar better than what Koz did
>>
>>65822216
>promoting misogyny in music is good
>>65822279
>better than what Koz did
How is that measured?
>>
>>65822279
*tell me
>>65822325
>giving an honest review of an album is bad because he said mean things to someone
>>
>>65822279
I agree, it's a fantastic album that people either aren't "ready for" yet or were influenced by the P4k score. Garden of lavender is also fantastic, so is The Possum. It's some of his best work, I see it as an extention of Benji, or like a double album.
>>
>>65822279
I'm a huge UT fan but I'll admit that it isn't for everyone. It took some of the aspects of Benji and did them even better, but I can see how someone could like Benji and then not like it.

Like the guy in the letter on the Jesu collab album says, it was for his fans.
>>
>>65821616
ut wasn't gonna get a bnm in the original review anyway
>>
>>65822419
>he said mean things to someone
So he's a mean artist who makes mean music. What's the problem?

Don't be butthurt that he got called out on his bullshit.
>>
>>65822122
I didn't call Larkin mentally ill, are you retarded?
>>
>>65822497
Lmao you're a fucking nu male.

"Wahh Wahh an artist has to be nice to spoiled upper middle class brats who write blogs for a living amd live on their parents money"

Fuck off you complete dickhead.
>>
>>65821963
I comment on Stereogum sometimes, but this is true, especially when rap or poptimism comes up. It's really hard to put up with.
>>
>>65822561
>"nu male"
/pol/ invents a new boogeyman buzzword every day
>>
>>65822547
So you have not observed that most Swans defeners slut-shame Larkin and call her mentally ill?
>>65822561
You are also a mean person. No wonder you like this mean music.

Why are you like this? Do you abuse women?
>>
>>65822599
>Nu male low test beta cuck detected

Mark is an alpha male who doesn't take shit from people and speaks his mind. His music isn't made for weak pussies like you who can't handle light banter and opinion. You'll never
>>
>>65822645
>So you have not observed that most Swans defeners slut-shame Larkin and call her mentally ill?
Nope, considering that they have tens of thousands of monthly listeners a tiny, tiny fraction of that fanbase are on /mu/. Most places where there are Swans fan on the Internet that I ever frequented didn't slut-shame Larkin or call her mentally ill.
>>
>>65822645
She is objectively mentally ill, it was clear when she called in Siobhan thinking she'd defend her that it was obvious Larkin suffers from some sort of narcissistic personality disorder
She also appears to be a compulsive liar and might have BPD with how she deals with people not embracing her
>>
>>65822671
>pretending to be alpha while posting on /mu/
also it's laughable that you think that Sun Kil Moon of all bands is "alpha music"
>>
>tfw you love Mark and Gira but don't want anything to do with the inbred hicks of the alt-right

It was bad enough having to share the Senran Kagura fandom with a bunch of "hurr durr sjws takin urr ghames" types
>>
>>65822645

Lmao holy shit, there is not hope for gen y as long as people like you exist. Grow some balls and face the real world where people have to deal with dissenting opinions, tough criticism and banter. I can tell from your posts youre a sheltered upper middle class white kid with a weak father and a domineering mother with a personality disorder.
>>
>>65822717
>sjws aren't a real ting
>people who aren't on the left are inbred hicks
>i play video games

3 strikes, youre out of here!

>>>tumblr
>>
>>65822708
Please don't paint all BPD people with that brush mate. I know it's on /mu/ but still.
>>
I'm pretty sure Larkin Grim has written about how she considers her bipolar disorder a gift.
>>
>>65822750
Should clarify I meant borderline personality disorder not bipolar personality disorder
Sorry if you thought I meant bipolar
>>
>>65822772
No I know you meant borderline personality disorder. They don't all do that kind of shit. Although I know you don't have to accept them because objectively they can be difficult to deal with but they don't typically go THAT far, at least I hope not.
>>
>>65822279
>6min into possum
>williamsburg guitar breakdown
>spinks
great record desu
>>
>>65822760
those people are the fucking worst. They think they can guilt trip the world into caring about them without doing anything interesting because muh sickness
>>
>>65822645
If you actually listened to Benji and Universal Themes you would realize that Mark cares deeply about the people in his life from his home town, their families and almost everybody he forms a sincere relationship with. He just has no time for bullshit indentity politics and virtue signalling tht goes on in the uppr middle class hemispheres of contemporary American music journalism.
>>
>>65822816
Quite literally this
Mark is obviously a caring guy and even avoids passing judgement on guys like Jim Wise on Benji, he just doesn't give a shit about entitled 20 something's because he's a 50 year old man
>>
>>65822216
"This Is My First Day and I'm Indian and I Work at a Gas Station" is probably my favorite Koz song ever.
>>
It's gonna get a bad score because it's NOT THAT GOOD
>>
>>65823127
Yes, it is.
>>
The double-disc To Be Kind (Young God, 2014) does not fully redeem the generic mediocrity of Seer but at least scales down the pomp or infuses it with more real deas. Nonetheless, the Swans remain unrecognizable (note for the younger generations: no, your parents were not listening to this "stuff", they were listening to Filth and Cop, much darker "stuff").
>>
>>65823219
thanks piero!
>>
>>65823219
>generic
>>
>>65823127
actually dope as fuck best of the recent albums
>>
OP here—5 mins until we see if there's gas to cook with tonight...
>>
WHOEVER SAID ITD GET A GOOD SCORE BUT NO BNM WAS RIGHT THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN
>>
>>65823383
OP AGAIN GUESS IM A BIG GOOF LOL. But no BNM wtf famiglia
>>
Is actually think this is a fair review/score. They only mentioned the rape allegations in one sentence to relate it to a song. I really like The Glowing Man but it does leave me a little unsatisfied.
>>
i am so lucky this won't lead to a /pol/ invasion...

does anyone here really like them earnestly?
>>
This was the least exciting score and review possible.

If they panned it /mu/ would riot.
If they gave it a great score /mu/ would riot.
If they focused on the allegations /mu/ would riot.
If they didn't mention the allegations at all /mu/ would riot.

This was the only path with no rioting
But now I just wanna riot because I've been denied it
>>
>>65822801
As a person who's had lifelong problems with depression I think it's kind of fucked up. It's like saying you feel blessed to have a drug addiction or something. I don't think she should be considered a courageous person for treating a serious problem like it's a fucking joke.
>>
>>65820864
glowing man has a lot of themes of guilt and acceptance of death; a yearning for some kind of great transition.

I think a lot of gira's music comes from a deep angst and dissatisfaction with the cold truth that he will never be anything more than a mortal man, and I think because of this obsession he falls into all the conventional trappings of Men (anger, pride, lust, etc)

this sort of "controversy" is to be expected from an artist like him. Obviously I would never condone it, it's just Not A Surprise
Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.