[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Listening to this for the first time, I don't get the hate.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3
File: 6079169.jpg (18 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
6079169.jpg
18 KB, 300x300
>>
>>65816061
almost everyone on this board has been praising it.
>>
>>65816061
Is there hate? I loved it, it's got a really cool atmosphere
>>
I've seen vastly more people singing its praises than hating it personally, especially on here.
>>
wait until 15:36
>>
>>65816061
Its only cause people are constantly comparin it to the seer and tbk
>>
>>65816109
I know this is just a meme, but I don't get people who pan the whole album for that. If the worst part of a 2 hour long album is a poorly edited bit of drumming on one song then it's probably a really good album.
>>
>>65816109
Yeah that's an awesome breakdown
>>
>>65816109
I don't understand this meme. What track is it at?
>>
>>65816109
the preceding 3 minutes are just as bad
>>
File: Checkmahdubs.jpg (22 KB, 472x472) Image search: [Google]
Checkmahdubs.jpg
22 KB, 472x472
>>65816200
>>
I'm disappointed with the 15:36 meme

I've heard much worse edits in top 40 pop songs
>>
the 15:36 meme is retarded, these idiots haven't figured out that these album performances are recorded live and the other instruments are amplified so loud that the highs of the cymbals naturally get drowned out pretty quickly after getting hit. this shit happens even when you see them live. If they had mixed it differently it probably would have greatly effected some other element of the mix and sounded a lot worse
>>
>>65817701
>If they had mixed it differently it probably would have greatly effected some other element of the mix and sounded a lot worse

wow you're stupid
>>
>>65816061
It's actually fucking great.
>>
is it me or the title track copies the riff from Bring The Sun and just drags it too much afterwards? i found that to be the weakest point of the album
>>
>>65816061
There is no hate.
>>
If people bring up the goddamn 15:36 thing then you know they are listening to the leak and not very carefully to the official version.

leave it to fucking /mu/ to bitch about a 21 minute song's leaked version to feature a split millisecond of a transition not synching to their liking
>>
>>65816061
why are you enabling rape OP?
>>
>>65816200
Bad taste detected. It's a great closer, did you prefer the same two notes over and over for 5 minutes in Mother of the world or the two note bass line conclusion to Bring the Sun? I love the Seer and TBK but they had their faults. TGM is flawless.
>>
Gira's vocal contribution is far too much, in my opinion. Not only does he sing too much, but all of his vocal contributions are just long, drawn-out groans. I love his short, energetic bursts but it's just boring this time around.

Still a pretty decent album.
>>
>>65817701
This. They record the "long" tracks live in a room. Things like this happen. If you pay attention to music it happens more than you think, just off the top of my head from listening to a few playlists the other day, a sustained note on guitar gets cut short on Violet by Hole around the 2:20-2:23 mark.
>>
>>65817936
Expands on that section and improves it imo senpai.
>>
>>65819024
>Dislikes an aspect of Gira's vocal performance that came to establish the band as a force to be reckoned with in the mid 90's.

Pleb detected.
>>
>>65819145
old Swans sucks, sorry friend
>>
>>65819162
Can't tell if this is bait or not.
>>
>>65819259
Early Swans doesn't "suck", I just don't like it
>>
>>65817724
you try properly setting up any amount of microphones to capture drums live alongside huge amps turned up all the way while also isolating the sounds enough that they don't get picked up by other mics at all
>>
>>65819108
Agree, I see why Gira wanted to add it. I can't listen to the main Glowing Man groove without listening to the two parts beforehand.
>>
>>65817936
Immediately after they started playing Bring the Sun live they sped it up switched from Toussaint to Black Hole Man. I feel like BHM works so much better, Toussaint is a weak point on its album. It's such a great riff so I don't mind them putting it to better use. I feel like I can hear God when it's blasting at high volume.
>>
>>65819024
The chanting is one of the best aspects of the album. It sounds cheesy but they really do come close to creating the "transcendental music" that they're going for, at moments where he does a sustained chant and the backing vocals come in, like in Cloud of Unknowing
>>
>>65820168
I agree that BHM/TGM/ASSHOLEMAN is better, but idk, Toussaint was really god-tier in its own right too. But I feel like the production on the loudness (maybe it's the female voices buried in the background) is just so much more interesting on TBK. however, maybe once I get my official version in the mail, The Glowing Man will sound better than what I have
>>
>>65817936
he mentioned it on the young god website. it's because the glowing man was born out of live performances of Bring The Sun, and they played it on the album with more or less the finalized structure they had been tooling live
>>
>>65816061
Mega anyone?
>>
>>65819024
The chants are what make this album a 10. JOSEPH IS ME AND YOU ARE LIARRR!!!!!!
>>
File: IMAG0279.jpg (1 MB, 1840x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0279.jpg
1 MB, 1840x3264
>>65820332
>FREEEEEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM FROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMMMMM
can't be beat
>>
>>65820595
google swans torrent
>>
>>65821308
It's also streaming on Spotify and such...
>>
>>65821383
spotify is shit
>>
>>65817936
"The song ‘The Glowing Man’ contains a section of the song ‘Bring The Sun’ from our previous album, To Be Kind. The section is, of course, newly performed and orchestrated to work within its current setting. ‘The Glowing Man’ itself grew organically forward and out of improvisations that took place live during the performance of ‘Bring The Sun’, so it seemed essential to include that relevant section here. Since over the long and tortured course of the current song’s genesis, it had always been such an integral cornerstone I believe we’d have been paralyzed and unable to perform the entire piece at all without it."

http://younggodrecords.com/collections/swans/products/the-glowing-man
>>
>>65816187
frankie m
>>
>>65820595
Just buy it.
>>
>>65816109
>>65816141
>>65816359
>>65817701
>>65817724
>>65818942
All this delightful discourse inspired me to listen to that moment a few extra times. Does no one know that a cymbal can be grabbed and muted? And that this is a fairly common practice?
>>
>>65821894
That's not a muted note. They don't sound like that.
>>
>>65821894
It's not a muted cymbal, it sounds like they tried to fade out the crash for a more abrupt shift to the next part but cut it out a little too early. Easy mistake to make if you're mixing cymbals.
>>
>>65822120
Easy mistake but you think after listening to the album thousands of times during mixing that Gira would have noticed it. He's losing it in his old age.
>>
>>65822176
The rest of the album sounds amazing, I imagine it was just a dumb little thing he forgot to fix
>>
>>65822197
The album really does sound great. I only critique because I expect so much from him. He's released some of the best produced albums I've ever heard. It's disappointing is all.
>>
>>65821958
>>65822120
I agree that its at least not entirely muted physically but that is obviously what they were mimicking. Its not a mistake.
>>
I missed out on the release, I'm only now listening to it. Almost done with the first disc.

I think it's gonna become one of the favorites. It has elements from The Seer that I missed in To Be Kind.
>>
>>65824142
well, what dyou think of the second disc?
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.