[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pleb here, wanted to ask a question What do people mean when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: Folder.jpg (370 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
Folder.jpg
370 KB, 1200x1200
Pleb here, wanted to ask a question

What do people mean when they complain an album has bad production? I don't really get exactly what makes an album have that

For example, i've seen people saying that the first Smiths record has bad production, but it sounds fine to me, in fact it's my favorite Smiths album. Another one that people complain about is Centipede Hz, what makes that album have bad production? I don't get it.
>>
>>65809403
there's no one thing that makes production inherently bad, it varies based on the specific album you're looking at. some things might be too lo fi, with CHz people just seem to think its too cluttered. However, you can easily argue that these are strengths rather than detriments as well. Its kind of like video game graphics. Some might be looking for pure technical power displayed through photorealism, while some enjoy things that are more exaggerated and cartoony, even if graphically they may not be super polished. Centipede Hz would fall under the cartoony category, some people enjoy it, some will inevitably hate it because its not clean enough.
>>
My benchmark for "bad production" is "Can you distinctly hear things that you are supposed to hear?"

IMO it's very tough for anyone who isn't actually a musician, mixer or producer of some kind to really determine this kind of thing on a high level. Many people think Master of Puppets is a masterpiece but other people will tell you that it has shit production (it kind of does but that gives it a lot of its charm, the drums sound like garbage though; I had no idea that opening snare roll was actually a snare until very recently).
>>
>>65809525
>>65809663
Thanks for the answers, guys

I was thinking here about this, and it makes sense when you consider an album like White Light/White Heat from TVU, in theory it has shit production, but that's exactly what makes it good (at least for me and i think everyone who enjoys it), the noisy, lo-fi production makes the album unlistenable to some people, but for others it's what it makes it so inreresting
>>
>>65809525
>>65809663
Not him but these are helpful responses, thanks.
>>
>>65809403
I'm pretty sure that there are two mixes of CHz. One is shit and one is good, but the shit one is the one that is on all the torrents and shit
>>
>>65809874
Do you know where can i find the other one? Would love to be able to compare
>>
>>65809895
If the one you've listened to opens with that countdown, then you've heard the right one. If not, I haven't found it in torrents or anything, though I haven't tried too hard because I bought it. Best I can find is this youtube link. It has the official release mix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHb-BnCC77M

Speaking of CHz, I think it's underrated
>>
>>65810039
My version is the same as the YT one, lol, guess i'm fine then

I agree, i think it's a pretty good album, what really brings it down is the latter half, because the first half is fun as fuck
>>
>>65810093
Yeah the other one doesn't have the intro on Moonjock, just silence, and a bunch of other stuff is missing, plus the mixing is worse
>>
>>65810093
latter half is the best half
New Town Burnout + Monkey Riches are two of the best songs and make a great pair, and Amanita is pretty good too.
>>
>>65810154
I really like Monkey Riches, but not that big of a fan of the other songs

The track streak from Moonjock to Applesauce is absolutely beautiful, if they were released as an EP, it would be easily one of my fav AnCo releases
>>
>>65810246
>have been

fixed
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.