[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's play a game, /mu/. Can you tell by this chart which
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5
Let's play a game, /mu/. Can you tell by this chart which year did top-40 stuff go to shit?
>>
>>
top 40 really refers to top 40 singles

otherwise To Be Kind is literally top 40

in which case you could say yeah 2014
>>
>>65801587
Every artist but Adele is good
>>
>>65801587
>good top 40 ended after Nirvana
I see what you did there.
>>
>>65801587
>tfw Titanic ruined pop music
>>
>>65801611
>>65801671
Yeah I admit 20–30 mln copies illustrates my point much more obviously
>>
>>65801702
either way your point was about Nirvana I see that now.
>>
>>65801587
>>
>>65801690
>>65801671
OP here. You know, my point is arguable and all, but I believe '90s was when the top-selling music went to shit. Completely and irreversibly.

Some of the top-selling albums of the '80s were Thriller, Back in Black, Purple Rain, Brothers in Arms, Born in the USA, Appetite for Destruction… True there was unashamed pop there, but pretty good pop too—like Dirty Dancing soundtrack that was actually pretty good. There was some wussy shit there too like Whitney Houston, but it wasn't all about sex appeal.

But the '90s was the era when Spice Girls, Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys and so on destroyed music market, turning it into an analog of Hollywood/modelling business. Good music is no longer what MOST people hear.
>>
>>65801797
it isn't so much that, it's more that music became image based. You can thank both Madonna and MTV for that. That's not to say that music before that didn't have image attached to it, but when Madonna hit the scene, it showed record companies that risque, shocking, or provacative things really made selling music easier and more efficiently.

That, and also around that time the internet hit and people slowly didn't need to go out and buy their stuff because, hey, you could just get it online.
>>
File: record sales.jpg (115 KB, 750x670) Image search: [Google]
record sales.jpg
115 KB, 750x670
>>65801711
Well not that much about it because let's face it—if Cobain wouldn't be so handsome, Nevermind would be Neversell.

People often forget that Metallica also sold shitloads of albums at the time; also, while not being in 20-29 mln copies range, there were still Oasis, Green Day and still big success stories like Smashing Pumpkins and Radiohead, not to mention G'N'R were still going strong at the time of Nirvana. But that was already the time when "music over looks" mindset was on its way out. It started from the top and gradually pushed actually decent artists out of chart tops and thus zeitgeist.

And in 2000, file sharing actually led to record industry shrinking 3 times, which has only slowed down recently. But album is a pretty dead medium nowadays
>>
File: albums per person.gif (73 KB, 570x335) Image search: [Google]
albums per person.gif
73 KB, 570x335
>>65801842
>That, and also around that time

Well, more like in 2001, see >>65801885 and picrelated

Unsurprisingly, the last really big albums came out in around 2004. I don't really believe Adele's success is comparable because a lot of her counted "sales" are from streaming which is defined pretty vaguely. In reality, physical digital sales of her albums are much lower—and having a hundred million views video on YouTube doesn't exactly equate to record sales.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.