[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
post a rock album more perfect than this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 17
File: fun house.jpg (682 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
fun house.jpg
682 KB, 1000x1000
post a rock album more perfect than this
>>
File: Boston_-_Boston.jpg (52 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Boston_-_Boston.jpg
52 KB, 500x500
Easy peasy
>>
>>65796410
ANYWAY YOU WANT IT
THATS THE WAY YOU NEED IT
>>
File: dictators.jpg (295 KB, 670x671) Image search: [Google]
dictators.jpg
295 KB, 670x671
>>65796396
easy
>>
>>65796410
lol no
>>
>>65796452
shit taste

>>65796435
thats journey
>>
>>65796452
>An album that is so full it's been nicknamed a greatest hits studio album
>not the perfect rock album

The Cars - self-titled too is perfect
>>
File: 1969.jpg (118 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1969.jpg
118 KB, 1000x1000
>>
File: Pleasure To Meet You.jpg (296 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
Pleasure To Meet You.jpg
296 KB, 960x960
>>
>>65796410
I hope this becomes a meme for "more perfect than this" because even among non-/mu/, Boston's self titled release is regarded as perfect. Every single song was a hit single, except the one with an intro.
>>
>>65796396
Can't get any better. You can only be equal to or less than.
>>
>>65796410
JUST A SMALL TOWN GIRL
LIVING IN A LONELY WORLD
>>
>>65796396
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdAH_bjvu1A
>>
>Marquee Moon

clearly
>>
>>65796410
Garbagio
>>
>>65796396
A bit behind Fun house as far as time period, but Space Ritual has its moments where it is pretty damn perfect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYAd0-ifNlM
>>
>>65796396
Turn on the Bright Lights
>>
File: 1457805683324.jpg (196 KB, 570x432) Image search: [Google]
1457805683324.jpg
196 KB, 570x432
>>65796510
>being this new
>>
File: BlueOysterCult.jpg (55 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
BlueOysterCult.jpg
55 KB, 500x500
I win
>>
>>
File: sftd.jpg (82 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
sftd.jpg
82 KB, 800x800
>>
>>65801334
This is one of those albums where the remaster is better, the first release is pretty badly mixed.
>>
>>65801435
The Iggy remaster? Yeah, I can't listen to the original master.

Doesn't change how I feel about the album itself, though. I think it's the best rock album, bar none. Fun House is second.
>>
File: 361802f0.jpg (17 KB, 455x455) Image search: [Google]
361802f0.jpg
17 KB, 455x455
How did I do?
>>
>>65796396
rotate the image 90 degrees to the right
>>
>>65801435
The iggy "remaster" is overproduced shite.
>>
>>65801501
it's rock n roll, bro.
>>
That is the worst of the stooges classic albums desu fampai.
>>
>>65801510
>We Will Fall
>>
>>65801506
Fuck off, it's clippy bullshit for the people who think sounding like shit equates with "passion" and "rawness" despite the fact that it's as calculated and cold as pop music by that point.
>>
>>65801519
Yes, but you can hear the drums.
>>
>>65801446
Either's better really, but I prefer Bowie's remix compared to any of the others that exist, Iggy's just feels kind of clumsy to me.

It's an excellent album though, the stooge's are one of the only bands that really captured the essence of what rock is in my opinion.

>>65801501
Care to elaborate on this? "It's shit" isn't an argument.
>>
>>65801519
>>65801549
Deliberately murdering fidelity and clipping your audio to shit to make it feel "raw" despite the fact that you're doing it behind a mixing machine worth thousands of dollars is something only a retard would do.
>>
>>65801597
I agree with that criticism, but that's not really what over produced means, if anything it's that he's purposefully made the mix less produced sounding.
Iggy did say himself that he only did it because the record company would have done it even if he refused.
>>
>>65796396
Seriously. Are there any rock albums that go as hard as this?
>>
>>65801636
Depends if you count metal as a genre of rock, or noise rock.

Songs about fucking is more abrasive, and there's countless metal albums that have more energy and power to them than this.
>>
>>65801621
I reject that meaning. People use "overproduced" when something is too glossy, which implies you can only ever go overboard with production adding and polishing. I use "overproduced" when the production has gone too far in either way. In which case murdering fidelity and clipping your audio to stupid levels is going too far with your deliberate production.
Case in point: something like a discharge album is underproduced 'cause they couldn't do better. Something made by turboposer Varg Vikernes is overproduced because he went out of his way to make it sound like shit.
>>
>>65801661
I can see where you're coming from, but I think using over-produced to mean both over-produced, and intentionally under-produced destroys the meaning of the word, as it's no longer really a description of a particular characteristic, but rather intention of the artist, which is hard to prove.

Also
>varg
>turboposer

The dude burned down 7 churches and got sent to prison for murder, I don't see how you can be a poser in a genre that you personally helped to define. Pretty much anyone who worked with or around Mayhem contributed in some way to the image and sound of black metal.
>>
>>65801636
People like to ignore it nowadays because they were famous when your grandad was alive and that's a sin both in /mu/ and pitchfork, but the stones were pretty fucking hard for a "rock" band, not "hard rock" or any other subgenre, just rock.
>>
>>65796410
SINCE YOU'VE BEEN GONE
>>
>>65801751
Oh I get this meme now quote 70s radio rock songs

CARRY ON MY WAYWARD SON
>>
>>65801692
It's not about artist intent, it's about how it's done. It's the difference between having a shit sound because you stuck a shit mic to a shit mic to a shit amp and having a shit sound because you sat down with a thousand dollars and went down to work on those mixing knobs to say "let's make this shit". Your ears can tell the difference. For the record: I don't think "overproduced" it's always bad, but it does connotate excess, which can go either way. Sometimes excess is good, sometimes it isn't.

As for varg he stole everything he did from Bathory anyway, and then he renounced black metal as soon as they sent him to prison for being an insane prick. I only count the sound, and varg didn't have the black metal sound in his soul, he just wanted to push an agenda via Bathory's greatest hits. Which is fine, he can push his agenda all he likes and I'd have no prob, but the sound wasn't his.
>>
>>65801768
As I said, I get what you're saying, and that's why I said intentionally under-produced sounding. I understand where you're coming from, I just think labelling both as over-produced takes away from the word, another term is needed I think. Or just say intentionally made to sound under-produced.

I agree with the part about over-production being able to be great or bad though, it's just a sound. In Utero was a great album for example, and intended to sound rough, but also in a way that is clearly intended to sound that way, the sounds themselves are distinguishable. I think the word for what you're talking about is just lo fi though, instead of under produced.

I think "having the black metal sound in your soul" is an undefinable thing to say though. Varg grew out of making that music, artists evolve and he didn't want to make that anymore. That doesn't mean he didn't live black metal to at least some degree, because he clearly did. Same as being inspired by Bathory doesn't make you a ripoff, Burzum has a distinguishable sound compared to other bands of the era. Black metal was always to some degree a heavily politicised genre, at least as far as religion goes.
>>
>>65796396
If you insist
>>
Im listening to this right now.
>>
I'm listening to this right now WTF
>>
File: 51WZht5xiUL.jpg (40 KB, 500x493) Image search: [Google]
51WZht5xiUL.jpg
40 KB, 500x493
>>
>>65801695
WHEN YOUR

SPIIIIINE IS CRACKIN
>>
>>65804711
I love this album, but no

>>65801944
correct response

>>65801466
kek

>>65801350
WRONG

>>65801334
debatable, but I agree

>>65798271
really neat album, but I disagree

>>65796675
nope

>>65796447
fantastic album, but no

>>65796410
no
>>
File: marquee moon.jpg (149 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
marquee moon.jpg
149 KB, 600x600
>>65796396
>>65804770
Alright op, just because nobody's posted anything better yet. Posting the objectively greatest album of all time might be cheating tho desu senpai
>>
>>65796396
Daydream Nation.
>>
File: warriorontheedge.jpg (78 KB, 375x376) Image search: [Google]
warriorontheedge.jpg
78 KB, 375x376
>>65798271
wrong album famalam
>>
>>65805019
I definitely don't think Marquee Moon is the greatest album ever, but it is a fantastic album, and I would put it above Funhouse
>>
File: 220px-Deerhoof-runnersfour.jpg (17 KB, 220x218) Image search: [Google]
220px-Deerhoof-runnersfour.jpg
17 KB, 220x218
>>
>>65808674
What would your top three greatest be?
Just curious. I respect your opinion :^)
>>
>>65809456
I don't actually know, I'd have to think about it... Pet Sounds might make the list, or Patti Smith's Horses
I also think pretty highly of Gang of Four's Entertainment. I don't know if Serge Gainsbourg's Initials BB counts as rock, but that's a fantastic album.
My personal favorite rock album is probably The Wedding Present's Seamonsters, but I don't know if I'd submit that for a greatest list because it appeals to me for very taste-specific reasons (heavy, noisy guitars, reflective and intimate lyrics, crooning vocals)
>>
>>65809737
I love pet sounds and entertainment (that one isn't as perfect as MM for me though).
It's strange I've never heard of The Wedding Present because they seem like something I'd really like and they're kinda popular apparently, are they sort of a jangly British Pavement?
Horses I just listened to a few days ago, I thought it was really interesting (my favorite part was Tom Verlaine's guitar on 'Break It Up', obviously because it sounds like Television (and John Cale in 'My Generation')) but I wasn't really enchanted with it immediately. I'll definitely listen more, did it grow on you? My biggest hindrance was probably her vocals.
Strangely I also listened to Initials B.B. like a week ago but I was kinda turned off by it, like on the title track, what the fuck was he thinking with the female vocals? Almost half the songs are ruined for me by these stupid little production quirks, Ford mustang is an awesome song though, again I'll have to listen. I love histoire de melody nelson though.
Sorry for typing so much but I actually want to DISCUSS MUSIC.
>>
>>65810105
your description of the Wedding Present is pretty accurate - they were actually an influence on Pavement. Apparently they were hitmakers in the late 80s and early 90s in the UK, but they never got big in the States and are now kind of a cult band

For me, Patti Smith's strength is her literary power, particularly on the longest tracks (Birdland and Land), plus her band is very much a garage band, so I think they do a good job on Gloria. For me Horses is the classic album of the CBGB scene, even though I'm personally more fond of Richard Hell.
I love Serge Gainsbourg, but I can see how Brigit Bardot's vocals could be a hinderance. Gainsbourg was definitely someone who grew on me, an if you want to continue with him, it might be best to start with his singles (Requiem Pour Un Con is a personal favorite)
>>
>>65810286
Thanks for the discussion dude, I'll definitely listen to all of them.
Also FUCK DUDE
I just realized that A: it's Brigit Bardot doing those vocals and B: that's why it's called initials B.B.
I'm freaking out
>>
File: king crimson red.jpg (132 KB, 1417x1417) Image search: [Google]
king crimson red.jpg
132 KB, 1417x1417
The pinnacle.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.