[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is collecting vinyl starting to be grouped as a hipster thing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3
File: IMG_20160611_141431175.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160611_141431175.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Is collecting vinyl starting to be grouped as a hipster thing? I just picked up some and I'm worried il start wanting to be retarded
>>
its been a hipster thing for at least 20 years
>>
>>65786231
>hipster
only if ur a faggot
>>
>>65786231
Nah, just don't bother with new music on vinyl because it's overpriced and the sound quality isn't always great. For cheaper phsyical formats go for CDs and cassettes
>>
I don't think I could cope with buying second hand vinyl that jumped and was scratched
>>
it only makes sense if you have a lot of money
>>
>>65786322
>>65786336
I've discovered during the last two years, since I can take CD-Rs home from the mastering plant, that there's an astonishing variation in quality between different CD plants. If you think digital is perfect, I have news for you. Many of us have been fooled by this myth that it's just 0s and 1s and therefore copies perfectly. It doesn't. The variations in quality are pretty wild, and random. Just the way you hook up a cable can make a difference. And there's no quality control in these CD plants, other than someone checking whether there's any level being transferred.

Most of us take it for granted that a CD is a CD, and we almost never discuss about varying standards of manufacture. I can't say too much about current US manufacturer's because I have few US made CDs. I have still detected a general shrillness to many US CDs ("let's tweek the high end to make them sound sharp to delude the general public that our CDs sound better than vinyl and tape"). Tweeking the high end also accentuated the hiss. After so many disappointments and revelations having heard import versions after getting US discs I have concentrated on acquiring import pressings.

As for maunfacturers themselves: on the import side I like the clarity of Nimbus UK but they can be hissier and lighter on low end than MPO France which produces well rounded sounding CDs. PDO have been fine except for the recent PDO UK disc rot problem. Sonopress in Germany are adequate. I used to shy away from DADC in Austria (Sony Europe uses them) but have realised that was a personal bias. Nimbus USA (Virginia) vary. Their reissues of the OMD catalogue were shoddy. DADC in Indiana (Sony/Columbia) are so so.
>>
Why would you stop doing something because other people do it?
>>
>>65786231
I was all about it at first, but like another anon said, it's expensive. I only buy albums I truly love on vinyl now. I don't care too much about a huge ass collection where I won't revisit a lot of different pieces. That's a waste to me. Also, there's the Internet, I can just hook my phone up to my sound system and it's the same, but it doesn't cost me money. Ad to the hipster thing, grow up man. The word has lost its meaning and if you're worried about how other people perceive you, than you've got bigger problems.
>>
>>65786231
>Is collecting vinyl starting to be grouped as a hipster thing?
>starting
nigga you live in bunker ?
>>
why does ringo look like some kind of evil fucking cacodaemon in that picture
>>
>>65786378
that brought me back to the old FLAC debates

people claiming they could easily hear the difference between FLAC and 320

good times
>>
File: 1464746448438.jpg (19 KB, 214x311) Image search: [Google]
1464746448438.jpg
19 KB, 214x311
>>65786431
>hook my phone up to my sound system and it's the same,
>>
>>65786231
How much you pay for Rumours? People talk about it as it is a garage sale staple but I've been bargain hunting pretty hard for a year now (and found hundreds of nice records for a dollar or less) But never seen Rumours once.
>>
>>65787009
Really? Where do you live?
Is it an area with a lot of white people?

It's such a cheap record because everyone's parents probably had their own copy before they got married.
It's a law of nature that every white family has two copies of Rumors laying around somewhere.
>>
>>65786559
You don't have flac on your phone? You're telling me vinyl sounds better than actual compressed files?
>>
>>65787009
I bought Rumours on eBay for about 10 bucks.
>>
>>65786231
no and neither are cassesttes you faggot
>>
>>65787173
No, tapes are definitely a hipster thing.
Either you have a 'normal' album on tape, and it'll sound objectively shitter than any other format, while being a pain in the ass to use, not only because you can't easily skip around tracks, but because fewer and fewer people have tape players. Or, you'll buy something on tape because you need to buy it one tape, and it's a hipster band.

The only tapes I have are from bands too small/cheap/hip to put out even CD-Rs
>>
>>65786231
hipsters are the only ppl who buy vinyl...
>>
>>65786231
Can someone tell me the appeal of vinyl?
To me it just seems less convenient and more expensive.
>>
>>65788235
Find out for yourself, not gonna spoonfeed you
>>
>>65788235
they all come with digital downloads these days so if im gonna buy music im going to get something that looks nice and is far removed from the digital version.
>>
>>65786231
People collect shit. Some collect vinyl. Who fuckin cares.

Just don't be one of those insufferable faggots who talks about the organic sound from a record being more pure or authentic or whatever.
>>
>>65786434
Well I live in Alabama and I saw one in our local record shop
>>
>>65787009
I got it for 5 bucks on eBay, there was also like 10 other ones on there too go get one lol
>>
>>65786322
I got all of those for under $10 each, so I think it's worth
>>
>>65788235
There just cool, to most the little background noise is appealing. Just buy old ones though, the artist that release there new albums on vinyl make them overpriced
>>
File: 1465745555803.gif (3 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1465745555803.gif
3 MB, 200x200
Is it even worth buying used vinyl?
>>
>>65788920
It is to me, my recent pickups >>65788463
>>
>>65788920
>that gif
Lol
>>
>>65789104
nice. was there a problem with losing quality compared to new vinyl?
>>
>>65789291
None, the Tool album sounds like new. If you buy from a good record store that doesn't sell shit then it's never a problem.
>>
>>65789357
Forgot to add that one record store in town grades all records and prices them accordingly, and does a damn good job with it. Just inspect it to make sure it's not all fucked up.
>>
>>65789454
that's pretty lucky. we only have 2 record stores in my city and they're both pretty bad. guess i'll just stick to my CD's or try online shopping
>>
>>65789505
The local store here does internet sales as well, Google strictly discs in Madison Wisconsin, assuming you are in the US. Quality of their used is top notch, new and old, all graded.
>>
>>65786231
>falling for the vinyl meme

kys
>>
>>65789615
>stop liking what I don't like
>>
>>65787298
tapes are for poor people
hipsters actually have money
>>
>>65786378
Thanks for letting me know about this anon. I had no idea this happened
>>
>>65786322
Most used vinyl is dirt cheap, and a lot of new vinyl is actually reasonably priced, unless you are only into trash like video game soundtracks on vinyl or something trendy, those are overpriced.
>>
>>65786378
This copypasta is funny in how inaccurate it is. The pressing plant the cd is made at has nothing to do with the sound quality for those that don't know, it's all about how it's mastered.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.