[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Insecurity over metal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 19
File: Abbath.jpg (133 KB, 960x638) Image search: [Google]
Abbath.jpg
133 KB, 960x638
Why are you /mu/fags so insecure about your tastes? I'm not talking about the /metal/ general, but everytime something about metal is posted outside of the general I see opinions on metal that should be outright banned. The bands you guys consider to be the only good metal bands are some of the worst music metal has to offer, I'm talking about gojira, isis, neurosis, burzum, deafheaven, the usual /mu/ circlejerked shit. Why are you guys so insecure about your music tastes that you only listen to "le intelligent metal bands" that get forced by pitchfork ? I'm genuinely curious, because most of you seem like closet metalfags too afraid to admit they like metal
>>
>>65777142
i'd be insecure too if i liked a band that looks like that
>>
>>65777158
Why do you care about image?
>>
>>65777142
Mate there are certain genres /mu/ doesn't understand; mainly metal and electronic music. They can only listen to the TMT, p4k, DiS, CoS, WATMM, RYM, RA opinions on these genres and outside of them nothing else.
>>
>>65777142
I mean....I've never been afraid to put out there that I like industrial rock/metal (very different from regular rock/metal), but like.....as far as the ones OP mentioned.....being honest - never heard of any of them before (minus on here of course).

Very poor example of rock/metal industrial, but this is what I got playing right now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5BX-RasKHk
>>
>>65777224
people who overuse elipses should be permabanned holy shit.
>>
>>65777235
(You) (OP) (more useless elipses just to annoy you because fuck you to, anon.)

By the way (its spelled ellipses)
>>
>>65777142
I've seen worse in my 4 years of browsing /mu/
They weren't even allowed to have a general before

/mu/ is insecure over many things, just leave it.
>>
>>65777142
>I see opinions on metal that should be outright banned

Mommy please ban this meanie on the internet cause it hurts my feeling.
>>
>>65777255
ellipses is the ... anon, what you're referring to is parenthesis

further proof that you need to be permaed
>>
>>65777142
What are you talking about OP? The fastest, most active threads on /mu/ are the /metal/ general and they absolutely despise bands like gojira, isis, neurosis, burzum and deafheaven and almost exclusively circlejerk thrash, power and death metal with hints of riffy black metal

Other generals only reach the bump limit twice a day here, /metal/ reaches the bump limit 5-6 times a day.
>>
The music I listen to is perfect and for refined gentlemen. Any other music is shit and you should feel bad for liking it.
>>
>>65777255
You are an idiot
>>
>>65777142
>neurosis
>isis
>deafhaven
>some of the worst the genre has to offer
This is why I stopped listening to metal, you assholes turned it into a meme genre
>>
>>65777956
You were never into metal to begin with
>>
>>65777320
>ellipses
>>65777320
>parenthesis

Just passing by this thread, but it's parentheses. Shit. How blind are you that you don't notice the parallel?
>>
>>65777970
Metal was the only genre I listened to for a good solid 2 years, I listened to other more "traditional" metal bands, I just didn't freak the fuck out when a band did something out of the ordinary

I swear, fucking poptimists are worse than you guys
>>
>>65778092
You know that there are tons of good metal bands that do metal differently right? Or are you that fucking clueless? 2 years in metal is babby-tier
>>
>>65778092
>deafheaven
>something different
oh I am laffin
>>
>>65778132
>You know that there are tons of good metal bands that do metal differently right?
Yea, but given the bands you were trashing because their not "TRUE KVLT METAL" I figured you would like them either. Exactly what bands do you refer to?
>>
File: hirax.jpg (132 KB, 800x756) Image search: [Google]
hirax.jpg
132 KB, 800x756
>>65777142
Most people (especially in America) discover metal during early puberty. They are per definition insecure about and leash out. They also listen to shit metal a lot. Most people drop metal later in go mainstream. However the metal master race expands it's taste while hardening the core. I listen to let's say 70% metal but don't care about most mainstream bands and/or Wacken-stuff. I also have not problem listening to Merit Hemminson right after finishing Abbath. I just like all sort of eerie dark stuff over happy tunes. I only know about 5 people are like me but dozens of insecure Amon Amarth fans.
>>
File: 45794_artist.jpg (42 KB, 183x211) Image search: [Google]
45794_artist.jpg
42 KB, 183x211
>>65777142
Burzum isn't bad.
>>
>>65777970
>solid 2 years

Then you jumped on the next genre like every hipster does.
>>
>>65778183
Are you retarded? Do you think I dislike those bands because they're mainstream or something? I dislike them because their music is absolute garbage, poorly composed and without any emotion or punch, some good modern original bands are peste noire, wormed, uzumaki, TOOH, baring teeth, charnel winds, death fortress
>>
>>65777142
> gojira, isis, neurosis, burzum
Add Vektor. Those are meme bands.
>>
>>65778257
Vektor isn't nearly as bad, overrated sure, but they still have a couple of good songs
>>
>>65777271
this
>>65777759
and this
>>
Best song ever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAsoUuZZ2mU
>>
>>65778285
Eh, most 2nd wave norwegian bands were much better than varg's early material, it's a good song though
>>
>>65778249
>Do you think I dislike those bands because they're mainstream or something?
That's pretty much the metalhead mindset these days
I listened to a few of the bands you mentioned and while most of them were certainly more interesting than your bog standard death/black metal shit, Wormed was just generic tech-death with none of the "emotion" or "punch" that you claim the bands I liked didn't have

The fact that you need to prove that your taste is better than my taste pretty much proves to me that you're the insecure one.
>>
>>65778392
I dare you to show atleast one band that sounds like wormed
>>
>>65778263
I don't really dislike any of the named bands. They are still meme bands.
>>
>>65777759
agree
post/sludge/black metal aren't talked about anymore because they got memed too hard.
/metal/ is only interested in the traditional riff heavy riff focused genres, AKA teen-core
>>
>>65777142
You really think people are still insecure when literally everything on this board is anonymous?
>>
File: Tip.jpg (48 KB, 469x463) Image search: [Google]
Tip.jpg
48 KB, 469x463
>>65778449
>>
>>65778222
i was also at that point once. listen to more black metal, burzum is lame as hell.
>>
>>65778392
I think he just wanted to show you some good progressive bands to show how boring the meme bands you like really are..
>>
>>65778249
Disliking Deafheaven is fine
Disliking ISIS is somehow acceptable
But if you think Neurosis are unoriginal and shit you really don't know shit about metal
>>
>>65778618
Neurosis were original but they're complete shit
>>
>>65778626
o i am laffin
just disappear from this board
or better kys
>>
File: pasta.jpg (526 KB, 1913x1591) Image search: [Google]
pasta.jpg
526 KB, 1913x1591
>>65778532
>hurr durr taste has a vector
Not going to argue about the quality of Burzum but quite objectively his style isn't copied that often. Subjectively his post prison material is underrated.
>>
>>65778626
absolutely no taste whatsoever
>>
>>65778618
souls at zero is ok I guess
>>
File: 3D smug.jpg (36 KB, 580x435) Image search: [Google]
3D smug.jpg
36 KB, 580x435
>>65778618
Originality doesn't make something good though. Neurosis is metal made accessible towards people who don't like metal but original enough to attract people who want to feel special for listening to something "unique".

>if you think they're shit you don't know shit about metal
I know enough to know that I like my metal for the metal. My collection includes 739 metal albums and 321 EPs, excluding hipster garbage pseudo-metal.

Other metal bands do experimentation better than Neurosis while still being metal in the first place.
>>
>>65778532
>listen to more black metal
I do

>burzum is lame as hell
If you're scrub, then sure.

Those who understand see this:
Developing alongside the other Norwegian inventors of the early 1990s modern black metal movement, one-man band Burzum not only produced some of the most insightful music to come from the genre, but lent expertise to other bands like Mayhem and Darkthrone, and finally, raised the bar on the genre to a point it could not surpass with 1993's Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, effectively ending the first generation of this genre. Created to "stimulate the fantasy of mortals," the music of Burzum is vengeance of chaos against the propagation of administrative and technological models for human existence, ideas which demand allegiance to rules and "morality," or the wisdom of mercy and social compromise as seen by Judeo-Christian technocratic society. Thrusting his fist in the face of that evident death-worship, Varg "Count Grishnack" Vikernes enfolds the rejected darkness in the lucidity of structure in the most forebodingly empty and threatening views of the world.
>>
>>65777158
keked
>>
>>65778696
you actually found that funny? are you 8 years old?
>>
>>65778689
Stop showing off and tell us what you dislike about Neurosis and which bands are better in your opinion. Jesus man, what a shallow post.
I also claim those numbers are made up. Pics or it didn't happen.
>>
>>65778694
2013 pasta?
>>
File: image.jpg (107 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
107 KB, 500x501
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIw7oeZKpZc
>>
>>65778730
wew, 420 blazi fagott
>>
>>65778573
>meme bands
How is this a legitimate argument? Because a band is talked about a lot it automatically bad because "lol memes"? How are Neurosis and Isis even meme bands when I rarely see them talked about? I didn't even say the bands he mentioned were that bad, I found one kinda boring, but I see the appeal of it. Why the constant need to prove your favourite bands over mine?
>>
File: gooby.png (68 KB, 294x285) Image search: [Google]
gooby.png
68 KB, 294x285
>>65778713
It's hardly showing off. Your post is just as shallow as mine.

>If you don't like my riffless atmospheric sludge metal as far removed from metal as possible you have no taste

Do you seriously expect any good discussion to come from that? Neurosis is original. But they're original in the sense that they've discarded and watered down most of their metallic elements in place for a washed out, post-rock texture.

Oranssi Pazuzu manages to be very original and still deeply rooted in metal, for example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSu7Oqhi-6g
>>
>>65778771
>discarded and watered down most of their metallic elements
>and still deeply rooted in metal
we get it, you are a metal elitist
>>
>>65778783
you say it like that's a bad thing
>>
>>65778783
No, it's completely understandable that somebody who likes a genre wouldn't like a band in said genre that tries really hard to be disconnected from the genre in the first place.

Neurosis don't even pull from the good side of post-rock either.
>>
>>65778783
Elitism is Darwinism for metal.
>>
>>65778771
THAT FUCKING BASS
God fucking damn
>>
>>65778798
>you say it like that's a bad thing
it is

>>65778808
>like a band in said genre that tries really hard to be disconnected from the genre in the first place.
neurosis have never tried anything
did they ever identify themselves as "we make this kind of metal" or "that kind of metal"?

YOU are the one classifying them in a genre and then saying they are disconnected from the genre
>>
>>65778697
>you found a joke where metal is the target funny? w-what are you, 8-8?

Oh the irony
>>
>>65778831
where's the irony?
>>
>>65778828
Neurosis's frontman actually coined the term "Thinking Man's Metal", which is among the most pretentious, most head-up-your-ass thing I've heard from metal musicians.
>>
>>65778831
literally zero irony, now your stupid ass is making me laugh
>>
>>65778771
I asked for your opinion. If you think that's shallow that shows pretty much how you think about music and your "collection".
>>
Actual elitism is defense of the values of a genre. Not any band and definitely not every band can be black metal. However, the anti-elitists would like to argue that just about anything can be black metal by, you know, wishing it so. That amounts to obliteration by assimilation and adulteration, and would terminate the black metal genre. It seems that like this writer, most anti-elitists aren’t actually black metal fans, and what they want isn’t black metal, but the usual music that they like to be labeled as black metal… so they can be elitist (but humble) about it.
>>
>>65778845
My bad, that was ISIS's frontman who coined the term, but Neurosis's frontman started parroting it.
>>
It’s not popular to defend elitism because elitism itself is under a similar attack. The herd would love to consider themselves elitists, but in the time-honored tradition of morons everywhere, they get it wrong. To them, elitism means finding the most obscure band possible and browbeating the rest of us for not knowing about it. It’s like a shibboleth or entry code to the cool kids group. But that group only appeals to hipsters, and those are actually irrelevant, since they produce nothing except low-run memes for each other.
>>
>>65778771
Oranssi Pazuzu. Rofl. Look at the history of the band, they were formed as in art project. I like them since Valonielu, you like them since the last album. They are hardly metal tho.
>>
>>65778860
>>65778856
idk if it's pasta but you're right
>>
The point of elitism is to keep out impostors.

Impostors, you say? Yes: genres form because small groups break away from what everyone else is doing. These small groups then do something in an unorthodox way, and it works. The large group, fearing that it has been left behind, then creates a bandwagon effect where they all start imitating the small group. If the small group wishes to survive, it needs to oust the bandwagon-jumpers and keep itself internally consistent.

This is why many groups are elitist and not just in music. They are trying to preserve their way of doing things which is different from what the herd wants to do, while the herd wants to appropriate the mantle of these rebellious groups while continuing — underneath the aesthetic — to do exactly what the herd always does. In this case, they want to dumb down black metal into emo/indie/shoegaze/rock. That’s why people hate Deafheaven.
>>
>>65778858
Last time I checked, Neurosis didn't associate themselves with metal at all
>>
>>65778478
Yeah they are anon seriously
>>
>>65778856
>>65778860
>>65778872
>reads Ayn Rand once
>>
Since metal is caught within the regime of popular entertainment, it speaks the language of socialization exclusively. Thus, if you have an unpopular opinion, it’s because you’re mean or a douchebag. Thus it is that people frequently refer to people who have standards as “douchebag elitists.”

Listening to a release by what I’ll call a respectable band, I was reminded of the reasons for my douchebag elitism. This CD is after all mostly right. It has all the right elements, knows the conventions of the genre, and has a number of sentiment and somewhat obvious but effective riffs. Should be good, right?

Except that it’s not good enough. It’s close, but not the same. Where Graveland — its primary influence — had a unique personality and a clear direction, this respectable band is derived from Graveland and Darkthrone and that basis is audible. The basis for Graveland was reality itself; the basis for the respectable band is music.

As a result, it misses on what black metal was. Even more importantly, it misses out on a standard of quality that lets blackmetal be of that level. When we are elitist, and admit only the bands which have a distinct and amazing perspective on the world, we see the genre as it is: the product of independent minds with purpose.

When we let that purpose fall, and allow those who simply want to partake of that vision to be part of the genre, standards plummet. Those bands are imitating from outside and trying to reproduce what was, but in doing so, they’re losing the most essential part of it, which is its motivation as a whole.
>>
File: upside down triangle.png (28 KB, 311x262) Image search: [Google]
upside down triangle.png
28 KB, 311x262
>>65778869
I've been a fan of Oranssi Pazuzu since Muukalainen Puhuu, actually. I've been a fan of the psychedelic black metal/black metal with 60s prog keyboards microgenre since Sigh started experimenting with it in the late 90s and early 00s.

Oranssi is very rooted in metal, especially black metal, what are you on about? 1:50 is straight up metal riffing layered under psychedelic keyboards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXOGQ5yFzps
>>
>>65778532
what are your favourite black metal albums?
>>
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 236x236) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 236x236
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGqUo7a7J_I
>>
>>65778913
>band leader is from a prog rock band
>hardly any riffs
>no soli
I talked to them personally. They don't consider themselves metal. Also it's fine to like psychedelic BM. Shitting on people who like Burzum because of that is elitist bullshit.
>>
>>65778913
>trying to impress people with standard Roadburn bands
>>
>>65778937
black metal rarely has solos
>>
>>65777142
Metalhead here

Gojira, isis, neurosis and burzum all have good albums
Deafheaven is decent i guess you can get emotional resonance over it but you'll be better listening to alcest
>>
I like Nails
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efpHs41Zrm4
>>
>>65778968
Only true for second wave and only for the 90s.
>>
>>65778980
I already posted in this thread, but yeah this. Deafhaven is okay, I guess. People moshing at their concerts thinking this is what metal is supposed to be like is not.
>>
>>65779039
>Deafhaven is okay, I guess. People moshing at their concerts thinking this is what metal is supposed to be like is not.

God! Who cares what metal is "supposed" to sound like, just let people enjoy the fucking music!
>>
>>65779082
you are talking to a bona-fide metal elitist
just give it up famalam
>>
>>65779110
I should have given up before I even opened my mouth.

But at least this thread taught me one thing, I now know why /mu/ hates metal
>>
>>65779110
>>65779082
Not elitist at all. They can do and dance all they want. They shouldn't call it metal and if they do it's sign of ignorance and arrogance. I don't go to techno clubs and think this is Hip Hop just because it has a beat.
>>
>>65779135
one reason /mu/ hates metal are the elitists
there are other reasons though
>>
Elitism is important for any genre that operates outside the mainstream convention.

Poseurs can exit the hall.
>>
>>65779166
At this point and because the internet the elitist have become the poserus tho.
>>
Honestly they should permaban this entire board for even thinking of having an opinion
>>
>>65778937
>band leader is from a prog rock band
How does that have to do with anything? Plenty of metal musicians come from non-metal backgrounds. That doesn't make their music invalid, or dosen';t mean that they don't even listen to metal in the first place. Most of these non-metal musicians who ended up writing metal have very well been listening to metal for years beforehand.

>hardly any riffs
Oranssi Pazuzu actually have more riffs than the standard vanilla black metal band, actually.
>no solos
Guitar soloing isn't a staple of black metal past the first wave, and there's plenty of death metal and thrash metal bands even who discard solos in place for more riffs.

>I talked to them personally
Yeah, and my dad works at Nintendo and told me Zelda rides a helicopter in the next game

>They don't consider themselves metal
That's funny when their logo is traditionally in the metal artstyle and they're named after a Babylonian demon. Juho Vanhanen formed Oranssi Pazuzu after attending an Emperor concert. They've never considered themselves not a metal band. They've described themselves as a mixture of space rock and black metal.
>>
>>65779196
Your point being? Are you comparing Neurosis and Oranssi Pazuzu? Also if you want to impress people with you super sick developed taste you shouldn't name bands that have been raved in every review the previous year. At last name Virus or Spectral Lore or some shit :^^)
Also OP sold their own merch before opening for Gorgoroth too. Nothing special to talk to them if you don't suffer from assburger.
>>
File: dog.jpg (52 KB, 535x462) Image search: [Google]
dog.jpg
52 KB, 535x462
>>65779311
I wasn't trying to impress people with my tastes you dumb faggot. Can you even read? The original post I was replying to asked me to post bands that (in my opinion) I felt did experimentation in metal better than Neurosis, so I did exactly as I was asked.

>name a band that you think is better than neurosis
>okay have a band
>stop trying to impress people
>>
>>65779342
So you are comparing Neurosis to Oranssi Pazuzu.
Eh okay buddy.
>>
>>65779380
That's exactly what I was asked to do.
>>
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 467x410) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 467x410
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F62MXsgwmuw
>>
>>65778980
I love Gojira, it's too bad they got memed to death in /metal/. I've been getting into more proggy stuff since I found them, Dysrhythmia is fucking insane.

Also, anybody in this thread that hasn't listened to Nile, listen to Nile. That fucking drummer, man.
>>
>>65778441
What's a meme band?
>>
>>65779905
you pretty new right? check out behold the arctopus, vipassi, gonin-ish
>>
>>65780041
New to 4chan or metal? Metal I've been listening to for a while, I just never really bothered looking for new shit until recently. I have a habit of just sticking to one genre/a few bands that I'm comfortable with, call it mild autism. I've been on 4chan too long.
>>
>>65779082
I'm >>65778980
I have no problem at all with people enjoying deafheaven nor with people calling it metal
My only problem is the pitchfork attitude about deafheaven being revolutionary while alcest lantlos or an autumn bla bla exists and black metal having been in a dormant state before, considering that black metal was a very dynamic subgenre before the apparition of bands who generated considerable meming like liturgy or deafheaven

>>65779905
Nile is considered entry-level because of their popularity
They are still good though and indeed the drummer is great
Anon here >>65780041 redirects you too UG highly technical metal try it maybe, behold the arctopus was not for me

>>65779183
This post is quite right actually except that everything is blurred with recursive layers of irony, elitism and "poseur" behaviour and whatever you want
You know about 4chan anyway so you should be able to guess the process about it

Metal is a genre with some considerable pre-internet meming in its history, if you look for metal communities around the 80s you'll see that some communities weren't that far from 4chan, shredding ability was a kind of meme too with some people completely disconnected from reality focusing only on the ability to shred random licks at high speed. /metal/ managed to have some constructive discussion for a while, sometimes there still are but it's mostly memes now.

If you want to wander into the genre, remember to trust mostly your ear and to have a basic understanding of the genre, don't forget that subgenres can have very different purposes and very different ways of being appreciated. I guess this advice should be general for music actually but i rarely see people from 4chan following it.

I guess nobody will read that anyway
>>
>>65780962
Also i'm tired so i've no idea of how good the grammar or the syntax here is sorry dudes
>>
>it's another metal autist arguing with trolls and p4k plebs who know nothing about metal episode

I just keep my taste in extreme metal to myself and occasionally post in /metal/ when the shitposting dies down
>>
File: the amazing atheist.gif (313 KB, 291x200) Image search: [Google]
the amazing atheist.gif
313 KB, 291x200
>>65777142
>posts picture of immortal
>thinks burzum is bad
>>
>>65777142
Dawg, look at those retards. I mean, I don't judge you for liking them, but hot damn if I've ever seen any dumber-looking motherfucker in my life. This isn't even a question of whether they play metal, those guys looks so dumb they transcend any genre they might be associated with, and then some.
>>
>>65781690
well yeah, immortal is pretty much superior in every way, had way way better riffs, melodies and a lot more interesting chord progressions
>>
>>65777166
Ask those ugly fucks why they care so much about image, and why they have such a shitty one.
>>
>>65781797
why should I do that?
>>
>>65781820
Same reason you asked the first time.
>>
>>65781828
Are you actually mentally retarded? Is your mongoloid brain so underdeveloped you didn't understand what I was getting at? Why should someone let image get in the way of them enjoying the music? Why is image even relevant in the first place?
>>
>>65781784
there are some pretty good burzum riffs but I can agree that most of it is boring
it is ambient metal so that's his excuse I guess
>>
File: abbath road.jpg (661 KB, 1280x852) Image search: [Google]
abbath road.jpg
661 KB, 1280x852
>>65781771
That's because they're having fun and aren't serious about their image.
>>
File: abbath suitcase.jpg (939 KB, 1280x852) Image search: [Google]
abbath suitcase.jpg
939 KB, 1280x852
>>
>>65781771
I think niggers like you should be prevented from posting anything, stupid orangutang
>>
>>65781859
>Why is image even relevant in the first place?
Ask the dudes dressing up in Halloween costumes, painting their faces and doing poses.
>>
File: abbath hotdog.jpg (751 KB, 1280x852) Image search: [Google]
abbath hotdog.jpg
751 KB, 1280x852
>>
>>65781938
Oh so you're legitimately mentally retarded
>>
/metal/ general mass ritual suicide when?
>>
>>65781929
>>65781958
lol fucking cringe how can anyone like this childish crap

top 40, indie pop and trap rap are for adult thinking men
>>
>>65781937
You know, OP's making a lot more sense to me now, you folks really are insecure about liking metal.
>>65781960
Nice retort, did you come up with that one yourself? How about you put those mean little gray's to work on finding an actual answer next time instead of just pretending that you're not a hypocrite?
>>
File: 000000000000000000.jpg (29 KB, 380x499) Image search: [Google]
000000000000000000.jpg
29 KB, 380x499
reminder that ****all**** metalheads are fucking pussies
>>
>>65782027
>>
>>65782041
You're not listening to images you disgusting inbred, the band can dress up any way they want, as long as the music is good, there is absolutely no single reason anyone should ever care about a band's image
>>
>>65782130
but it makes perfect sense
if band dresses like a bunch of edgelords it's marketed to 12 year olds and therefore makes music for kids
>>
>>65782130
>what is GWAR

many musicians work in their image to the music ya silly goose
>>
>>65782192
and that's why GWAR is a shitty joke band
>>
>>65782185
So you're incapable of judging music yourself based on it's composition? This whole p4k drone thing starts making sense now
>>
>>65782396
Why would anyone care if a band takes image-focused pictures?
>>
i think the overwhelming insecurity on this board stems from the average age of the modern /mu/ poster, (like 15) and kids tend to wear their desperate need to fit in and stand out on their sleeve.
>>
>>65782428
jesus stop replying you autist, it's fucking b8
>>
i like metal
>>
>>65782396
it's called marketing, fool. been like that for decades, and it's certainly not exclusive to metal.
>>
>>65782220
just like black metal? :')
>>
>>65782482
The point is, image is almost always relevant in pop music and metal is generally no different. You can usually assume something about an artist if they're that concerned with selling some image, especially if it's some laughable "hard" image
>>
>>65782537
It makes sense since no one should let image get in the way of them enjoying the music
>>
>>65782537
i think that would depend on the fan. music attracts a lot of retards, evidently.
>>
>>65782624
I don't see how that could happen
>>
I'm sorry for trolling. It wasn't nice. I didn't mean any of it. I apologize.
>>
>>65778478
NSA keeps track of 4chan posts' IPs, so it's perfectly valid to be worried about the risk of having your shit taste called out by them
>>
it's common knowledge that /mu/ hates good music
>>
>>65777142
I agreed until you mentioned Burzum, you might as well say that Darkthrone and Mayhem are shit
>>
>>65778995
opened this for about two seconds and closed it as soon as I could
>>
File: 1454857807382.jpg (4 KB, 241x198) Image search: [Google]
1454857807382.jpg
4 KB, 241x198
>>65784209
>/mu/core drone hears grind for the first time
>>
>>65777142
personally i´ve been into metal for so long i´ve grown out of it and can´t see myself as a fan anymore. even though sometimes its pretty fucking fun to get in the audience.
>>
>>65784209
pleb
>>
>>65784325
what are/were your favorite metal artists?
>>
Can you imagine a goth drinking a capri-sun? I can't
>>
I think this thread is bait itself. Very awful elitist bait.
>>
>>65784246
>pleb likes pleb violence
>>
>>65777142
>gojira
lol
>isis
ew
>neurosis
meme
>burzum
paysage is better
>deafheaven
eh

those bands are /mu/tant normie metal, not /metal/ metal
>>
>>65784875
good job you just restated the point OP is making but with meme arrows
>>
>>65784209
that was fantastic, what are you talking about
>>
>>65777142
Probably because so many faggots on /mu/ are underage and fresh out of their phase of liking Slipknot and Linkin Park that they consider all metal to be awful. Hence why copout retards like Kanye and Thom Yorke are worshiped here.
>>
>>65784209
>waaah the loud yelling hurt my ears :'^(
>>
>>65784933
I didnt really read the OP very well desu
>>
What the fuck is "Metal"? Is that important to enjoy music? Less metalic don't mean less quality. Just enjoy what you enjoy. Don't give a fuck. What a blindfolded guys in this thread.
>>
>>65781771
They are kind of ironic with that image today
>>
>>65783750
Soulside Journey and A Blaze are alright

>>65784209
People are being mean are you for not withstanding the violence it's alright to each its own taste
>>
>>65777142
>Why are you guys so insecure about your music tastes that you only listen to...
Have you considered that people just have different opinions than you? Lots of people here like noise rock, hardcore punk, no-wave, and math rock, I don't see why you think that everyone has to like a genre as niche as metal. Personally I feel like most metal is overproduced and kind of cheesy, but like others around here I sometimes listen to some slightly less traditional metal, like Boris, because they have some crossover appeal.

I think it's also worth noting that not everyone likes metal for the same reasons that you do. Some people enjoy math rock so they might listen to Liturgy. Some people might really like post-rock so they enjoy Deafheaven. These people are enjoying qualities that maybe aren't common to metal, but happen to exist in these bands. From your perspective it might seem like they're listening to the wrong metal bands, but really they're just looking for different qualities than you are.
>>
>>65786951
if people like math rock I see no reason why they shouldn't listen to tech-thrash, tech-death, or avant garde black instead of listening to retarded shit like litrugy
>>
>>65780962
This is a good post
>>
>>65787351
Than you anon

>>65786951
People liking math rock should also try djent, mathcore and most subgenres having "tech" in their name

People liking post-rock should try atmosludge, post-metal, and most subgenres having "atmo" in their name.

This is not a judgment of your post it's just in case people pass here

>>65787156
Antithesis while very unconsistent has some good tracks, notably because the drummer is pretty good
>>
>>65788274
>Antithesis
Meant Aesthetica what the fuck happened
>>
>>65778618
why would someone dislike isis?
>>
File: 1447603124650.jpg (94 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1447603124650.jpg
94 KB, 640x640
>tfw you like riff based metal as well as atmo shit
>hated on both sides
why can't i listen to OSDM and then next album listen to Wolves in the Throne Room? I've actually been called a "fence sitter" by people, this is so retarded.
>>
>>65789196
very poor songwriting
>>
>abbath
>metal
>>
>>65789358
I don't get this meme, why does everything have to be a song? Why can't it just be an exploration?

i don't like ISIS btw
>>
>>65789404
Didn't mean it in that way, should've said composition, basically something people write in their first few months of learning their instrument
>>
>>65789455
From Panopticon onward yeah I agree. Their first two albums are good though.
>>
>>65789336
high five i guess
Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.