[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post-rock recommendations?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 12
File: Liftyrskinnyfists.jpg (151 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Liftyrskinnyfists.jpg
151 KB, 500x500
I've been getting into post-rock, was wondering what you could recommend? I've been into the archetypal GSYBE etc. Thoughts?
>>
Do Make Say Think - Goodbye Enemy Airship The Landlord Is Dead is an amazing album.
>>
File: swans.jpg (14 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
swans.jpg
14 KB, 400x400
>>
Read the sticky god damnit
>>
>>65765267
the sticky?
>>
File: image.jpg (81 KB, 455x455) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81 KB, 455x455
>>65765141
Mum
>>
File: 1436658215720.jpg (48 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
1436658215720.jpg
48 KB, 350x350
>>65765141
>>
>>65765384
what's this?
>>
>>65765419
albur - she used to feed me
>>
Talk Talk obviously. Don't waste your time with anything else. Hex is okay.
>>
Mogwai- come on die young
Sigur ros- takk, valtari, aegetis byrjun, pretty much anything by them
Mum, moom, however you pronounce it
This will destroy you- This will destroy you
can't remember anything else but theres much more
No swans they're aids
>>
File: cover.jpg (53 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
53 KB, 700x700
>>65765141
>>
>>65765317

the thread stickied at the top of the board
>>
>>65765141
GYBE is in no way archetypal post-rock.
I'd reccomend Cup De Sac - China Gate
>>
Explosions in the Sky. I liked their new album Wilderness, but a lot of people will say their older stuff is better. Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever is a good album by them.
>>
>>65765141
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/rolas978/the_top_20_post_rock_albums_of_the_90s/
>>
>>65766085
Swans aren't typical Post-Rock though. They're barely considerable as Post-rock.
>>
This. I haven't found a huge amount that's anywhere around the level of GY!BE, Set Fire to Flames, Silver Mt. Zion and late Slint.

I tried listening to some of Explosions in the Skies' later stuff, but it has nothing of what I genuinely like about Post-rock.
>>
>>65765141
also, aside from this>>65766628, what specific aspects of GY!BE did you like?
>>
>>65766666
HOLY FUCK POST-ROCK IS THE WORK OF SATAN!!!!
>>
>>65766605
I liked the two lead singles from The Wilderness, but I thought the rest of the album was pretty fuckin' boring.
>>
>>65765141
Gonna hijack your thread OP. Lift Your Skinny Fists is a hugely overrated piece of music that is almost completely unfocused in what it sets out to accomplish. Ultimately what it does accomplish was done better on F#A#Infinity.

All that said check out:

June Of 44 - Four Great Points
Shipping News - Very Soon, And In Pleasant Company
>>
I'm listening to Farewell Poetry rn. Pretty good stuff.
>>
>>65766814
>almost completely unfocused in what it sets out to accomplish
You act like that's a bad thing, which it really just add a greater sonic variety to the album. It's probably the only GY!BE album which doesn't have a unified sound from song to song.
F#A# Has it.
Slow Riot Has it.
Yanqui UXO has it.
Mlladic has similar guitar tones, but the song difference is more jarring than LYSF
Assunder Sweet, definitely has it since the entire album was written as one long song.
>>
Why does post rock sound all the same except for GY!BE, set fire, and silver mt zion? Besides these (which are fantastic) it seems like a garbage genre, especially stuff like Explosions in the sky.
>>
>>65767113
that's not a fair assessment to be honest. Sure, you got a lot of post-rock bands that do the sort-of ambient, rock, chamber, crescendo thing, but there's other groups like Gastr del Sol, Jaga Jazzist, and Mob that take the idea of post-rock and go in a different direction
>>
File: Post_rock_essentials.jpg (425 KB, 990x1716) Image search: [Google]
Post_rock_essentials.jpg
425 KB, 990x1716
>>65767113
Magyar Posse's second album is pretty good. I guess because some people wanted to try to conform to a genre. Also because third wave post-rock kinda sucks.
Here's a chart, although I'm not sure how accurate it is.
>>
File: lte.jpg (61 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
lte.jpg
61 KB, 500x500
GOAT
>>
>>65767193
separating post-rock into waves always felt pretty stupid, but it's not that accurate. First wave ended with Soundtracks for the Blind and second wave started with F#a#infinity.
>>
>>65767258
It makes sense given how different albums in the genre are. First wave was the people who created what was first known as post rock, second wave was inspired by the first wave focused on atmosphere and writing, third wave focused on crescendos as far as I know.

>>65767238
I WANTED to like this album. It's genuinely too self indulgent, despite how many amazing tracks there are. The final straw snapped when it turned out into the storm was a bonus track and not a 20+ minute post-rock composition.
That fucking kissy sound straight into the mic during these are the days still makes my blood boil.
>>
>>65766936
>You act like that's a bad thing

It is considering all the mood whiplash present throughout the album. Actually I'd say Static and Sleep are the most consistent movements on the album and it's no surprise they're the most interesting.

The whiplash from hearing LYSFLATH and going into Gathering Storm/Pleaurth is fucking bizarre and unsatisfying. Now it's not unsatisfying because of how triumphant LYSFLATH is; that in itself would be a pretty nice bait and switch. Going from something so awesomely inspiring to something more hectic and tribal is cool. But then the Arco AM/PM mini-market shit and everything after that is so uninteresting. And then Antennas To Heaven is just all over the place and thus uninteresting. Why should I bother paying attention to what is going on if it's just going to change momentarily?
>>
>>65767193
Inindependence is good but its middle section is pretty lackluster compared to how it opens and ends. And god what an opening.
>>
File: the6parts7.jpg (84 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
the6parts7.jpg
84 KB, 700x700
this is the one
>>
>>65767390
>the Arco AM/PM mini-market shit and everything after that is so uninteresting
I actually liked that. Godspeed until Yanqui UXO have always been about being cinematic post-rock, and Arco AM/PM sets the location as the present day so that when it all breaks apart in Static it's more heartbreaking. Efrim was a failed filmmaker after all.
And the reason for Gathering Storm being as being as intense and tribal as it is, is in the title it's supposed to be inspired by a literal storm and rain, like a sudden storm ruining a sunny day. I didn't realize this until I ended up stuck in a car with the track playing and rain started pouring down onto the car. It fits pretty much perfectly.

I understand if my responses seem pretentious and half baked.

>>65767439
>its middle section is pretty lackluster compared to how it opens and ends. And god what an opening.

Switch that to ending and you have King Crimson's Lizard.
>>
>>65767631
The thing is, with a title like "Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven," and that opening track, you kind of have an expectation of what the album will sound like. And then it doesn't sound like that for 90% of the time. And that's okay, but if I wanted to hear that I would just listen to F#A#Infinity.
>>
>>65767258
i always felt like Millions Now Living marked the beginning of second wave
>>
>>65767885
I say Soundtracks since that was the last big first wave album and one of the first big second wave albums was F#a#infinity. I can sorta see what you mean though, since Millions Now Living was such a radical shift in sound form rock music
>>
>>65767113
Rhys Chatham's guitar orchestras.
>>
>>65765141
No one recs isis enough. They're really good.
>>
>>65768147
I lost my head over them.
>>
>>65765419
A good album bruh
>>
>>65766666
HOLY SHIT I DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT TO CALL THOSE DIGITS
>>
>>65768147
The...post-metal band?
>>
>>65768235
SATAN, surprised nobody checked'em.
>>
File: IMG_20160219_175450057.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160219_175450057.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
r8
I feel like I want to stick something between Mladic and Peasantry
>>
File: Pygmalion_album.jpg (19 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Pygmalion_album.jpg
19 KB, 500x500
>inb4 not postrock
this is post rock
and you guys know it
>>
>>65768659
>Chris Mohrfeld
hi
>>
young mountain is perfect IMO
>>
>>65769780
hey bby
>>
If you've never listened to We Lost the Sea I highly recommend them, they're a bit melancholy in sound but they have some interesting progressions
>>
>>65769433
fav album of all times 2bh

and yes it is post rock
>>
>>65767193
thanks for share :)
>>
>>65771802
You're welc.
It's a great album, even out of the original tracklisting.
>>
>>65768659
>not realizing Assunder is meant as one one song.
Pleb.
>>
I'll second Soundtracks for the Blind. I also like Years of Rice and Salt, Childs, Oriin, Gregor Samsa, Marionette ID, Dirty Three, and Message to Bears.
>>
>>65767238
I feel that this album suffers from a good idea executed poorly. The whole shoegaze/post-rock music mixed with gospel lyrics gets real tiring when you keep using it for every song.

Plus that last song didn't need to be that long, pointless.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.