[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the appeal of Yung Lean? I'm genuinely curious.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: ogimg-2.jpg (71 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
ogimg-2.jpg
71 KB, 700x700
What is the appeal of Yung Lean?

I'm genuinely curious. I don't necessarily hate his music, for one I think his beats are tight. But does the appeal come strictly from the low-budget, intentionally weird aesthetic to his songs and music videos? And if so, I still find it hard to believe his videos on YouTube can have 8-17 million views.

Again, I'm not hating. It's just that I simply don't get why people praise him so much.

>inb4 2deep4u
>>
its ironic and cool

and something about tumblr
>>
he perfectly captures the irony permeating through the current generation and his aesthetic is just vaporwave so it conjures up nostalgia for these same kids

in other words he's just a guy who's music/persona perfectly fits this moment in time
>>
>>65763941
>>65763927
stop using the word 'irony' incorrectly, yung lean isn't being ironic, he's 100% srs
>>
no one praises him. It's just fun tongue in cheek hip hop. He actually has pretty good taste in music and when you think about it his "aesthetic" is actually pretty unique (though I do think he gets a lot of his ideas from bladee).
>>
>>65763978
his fans are being ironic and they think his music is ironic

it started as a joke then people started to become legit fans of him andn now we're on some sort of post-post irony phase
>>
I could say it's irony or something but the guy has a few really good songs and was a lot of fun live. I'm also into one-note, monotone rapping so I don't necessarily think he's a shit rapper like some people.
>>
It was initially ironic. I listened to him because he was like the boy the internet made real, and it was like his music was literally only interpreted through memes
>>
if he made more stuff like Hoover he'd be really good tb h

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jDiAcqbO0c
>>
>>65764097
OP here. That's probably the best way to put it. Although I still find it weird how well known he is and how much his music videos have been viewed. Obviously there has to be some sort of an appeal to a larger audience... but there really isn't?
>>
>>65764233
Teenagers genuinely like him. The kinda kids you see in bucket hats etc.

He definitely has a real fanbase.
>>
File: birthday 2015.jpg (43 KB, 526x394) Image search: [Google]
birthday 2015.jpg
43 KB, 526x394
>>65763876
>What is the appeal of Yung Lean?
>his beats are tight.
>But does the appeal come strictly from the low-budget, intentionally weird aesthetic to his songs and music videos?
ya
answered your own question there
>>
>>65764111
reminds me of lil igly mane's passion sceptre/dert mystery
>>
Don't pretend kyoto isn't a good song
>>
>>65764111
Hoover, Kyoto, Ginseng Strip, Emails, Solarflare, Yoshi City,Afghanistan, Ten, Hurt, Sunrise Angel, Leanworld

Just named the only good Lean songs. If his whole career was like this he'd be lit.
>>
>>65764636
yung lean swevin' in, see me fucked up.
>>
>>65764664
Ghost Town from his first album is pretty good and Hocus Pocus from his new one

Diamonds is also a cool song but its technically Thaiboy feat Lean
>>
>>65763876
>And if so, I still find it hard to believe his videos on YouTube can have 8-17 million views.
Those can be bought
>>
never understood it either, some people like it because it's ironic but shit is shit, no matter if ironic or not imo
>>
File: Arteezy[1].jpg (37 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Arteezy[1].jpg
37 KB, 250x250
S A D B O Y S
>>
Yung Lean is literally me if i didn't stop doing drugs when i was 18.His music also sounds good to me.
>>
>>65766729
He's also some days older than me,same age.
>>
He's working on a new album and has already said it won't be rap.
>>
>>65763876
Alot of people found his earlier songs funny because of how absurd and quirky it was. Then when he "grow" as an artist and started making music unironically it lost all of its original fans and now his only fans are underage kids
>>
>>65763876
his swag is legitimately off the charts
also his producers are dumb nice
>>
>>65764664
lightsaber and oreomilkshake are both killer though
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.