[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone else enjoy having a lack of knowledge when it comes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: ff.jpg (22 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
ff.jpg
22 KB, 300x300
Does anyone else enjoy having a lack of knowledge when it comes to music? I love music and constantly am looking for new artists and albums. Also there isn't a genre I don't have at least a couple albums I enjoy. However, when listening I often have a hard time telling instruments apart (unless it's really obvious, like a piano) and I have no idea what terms like "crescendos" and "textures" and haven't single a clue of what music theory is. I feel my lack of knowledge makes me enjoy it more for some reason but im not sure why? Also, I wrap myself in plastic (except my mouth) and smoke medical marijuana before I listen to most of my albums.
>>
itt teach op music so he stops enjoying it
>>
>>65754869
Same
>>
>>65754869
Music's entirely subjective, so I wouldn't worry about it. Most of this stuff you don't know is simple, anyway.
>telling instruments apart
As in guitar/bass/synthesizers?
I'd understand if it was more obscure instruments like the harpsichord or telling apart different orchestral or brass instruments (not that it's particularly difficult to tell them apart if you've heard them), but telling apart instruments has never been difficult for me, even before I started playing them.
>crescendos
Noun
1. a gradual increase in loudness in a piece of music.
>textures
"In music, texture is how the melodic, rhythmic, and harmonic materials are combined in a composition, thus determining the overall quality of the sound in a piece." A lot of people misuse this word on /mu/, but it's not a very difficult concept to understand.
>haven't single a clue of what music theory is
"The term also describes the academic study and analysis of fundamental elements of music such as pitch, rhythm, harmony, and form, and refers to descriptions, concepts, or beliefs related to music."
Most people on /mu/ don't understand music theory anyway.
>>
>>65754902
Yes, lets.
>>
>>65754869
what does Fiona Apple have to do with this thread
>>
>>65756527
She's the artist I started listening to when I first got into wrapping myself in plastic and smoking my medicinal marijuana.
>>
>>65754942
>Music's entirely subjective
Stopped reading right there
>>
>>65754869
>I wrap myself in plastic
what/why
>>
>>65754869
>Also, I wrap myself in plastic (except my mouth) and smoke medical marijuana before I listen to most of my albums.
Sounds kind of fun.
>>
>>65754942
oh shit, I always thought texture=timbre
>>
>>65756599
Same
>>
>>65756599
>>65756754
Timbre is defined as the individual idiosyncrasies of a certain sound/instrument that differentiates it from another sound/instrument.
>>
>>65756562
summa
>>
>>65756562
the only people who don't feel music is subjective are those that care about music as an image more than the music itself
>>
>>65757157
>image
Not relevant. We are discussing music, not image. The two are separate

Music is objective, it can be explained scientifically and measured.
>>
>>65757198
Exactly
>>
Having no knowledge about music is fine, but don't ever think that your opinion has weight to it. Your opinion is as effectively useless as the average Top40-bordering-mentally-retarded listeners by your lack of care.
>>
>>65757264
That would be like me saying "Oh, because you don't wrap yourself in plastic and smoke medical marijuana when you listen to music your opinion doesn't matter."
>>
>>65757264
That would be like me saying "Oh, because you don't wrap yourself in plastic and smoke medical marijuana when you listen to music your opinion doesn't matter." See what a silly jack of an ass you sound like now?
>>
>>65757264
Opinions on music can't have weight to them. Music is subjective, and I say that as someone who plays multiple instruments and has a fairly strong understanding of theory.
>>
>>65757319
>>65757356
...?
>>65757414
False, if you don't understanding Theory and History then your opinion is invalid. It is based upon ignorance and you must submit to the expert's knowledge.
>>
>>65757414
>>65757198
>>
>>65757454
Ur just a dum trip
>>
>>65757697
You're quite literally dumb, self-admitted.
>>
>>65757264
all opinions on music are worthless tbqhwyf
>>
>>65758285
all but your own, that is.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.