[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Guilty pleasures
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 7
ITT: Guilty pleasures
>>
File: lincoln park.jpg (39 KB, 500x517) Image search: [Google]
lincoln park.jpg
39 KB, 500x517
I only listen to their music out of pure high school nostalgia.

A Thousand Suns is a legitimately good album tho
>>
File: front.jpg (821 KB, 1425x1425) Image search: [Google]
front.jpg
821 KB, 1425x1425
>>
>>65754953
I unironically love the Black Parade
>>
>>65754938
I'M NOT A ROBOT, I'M NOT A MONKEY
I WILL NOT DANCE EVEN IF THE BEAT'S FUNKY
>>
File: 1466011127127.jpg (225 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
1466011127127.jpg
225 KB, 640x960
>>65755003
It's a good album senpai
>>
>>65754865
>guilty pleasure
Honestly, I don't quite understand why anyone would ever admit to having a "guilty pleasure" when it comes to music.
When someone calls something a "guilty pleasure," they're saying much more than just "I like it but it's bad". In reality, they are putting themselves into one of two camps; neither of which are desirable to be in.

>1. The "ironic rockist" - this camp purports to be appreciating music on an intellectual or "deep" level, but shows enjoyment for something does doesn't live up to their poorly contrived notions of artistic evauluation.
>in order to justify this behavior and quell their cognitive dissonance, the rockist will choose to label the piece a "guilty pleasure" and avoid amending their evaluation process to better reflect their actual tastes.

>2. The "real" [insert genre] fan- this camp purports to be appreciating music on a "genuine" or "personal" level, but will prove otherwise through their actions. Much like the ironic rockist, they will achieve a state of cognitive dissonance when they find that they enjoy something not fitting in with the image they desire to project. They settle the dissonance through the justification of it being a "guilty pleasure" while assessing "well everyone has some."
>Oftentimes called such things as "hipsters" or "poseurs," these people are frequently concerned more with the image they gain in the eyes of others rather than the pleasure they derive from the music itself- that is to say, their enjoyment of the art stems almost purely from something outside themself, the art itself, and their sphere of control.
>>
>>65754865
>>65755110
Subscribing to guilty pleasures kills any chance of thought about the medium one is consuming because they're agreeing to pre-made ideas which are not rooted in the self. While a mature music listener will decide what they think about music from within, the rockist is falling to pre-made conceptions which say that something is intrinsically better without actually making any kind of assessment themselves. As such, doing so makes a person an empty vessel for the perceived ideas and opinions of others instead of a source of fresh and stimulating genuine viewpoints.
If someone has opinions that are not their own, why should you respect them over the true source of their opinions? Musically immature behaviors such as those stated above are not accepted by the mature members of /mu/, and never will be.

TL;DR - If you have guilty pleasures, you are a plebeian who should go back to where this behavior is acceptable- namely Reddit.
>>
>>65755012
TRY TO CATCH UP MOTHAFUCKA
>>
File: skrillex[1].jpg (437 KB, 1667x1109) Image search: [Google]
skrillex[1].jpg
437 KB, 1667x1109
>>
File: radiohead.jpg (196 KB, 1000x827) Image search: [Google]
radiohead.jpg
196 KB, 1000x827
>>
>>65755246
this
>>
>>65754953
three cheers is better
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5H-YlcMSbc
>>
>>65755538
bruh that song is zzzzzzz
>>
>>65755012
>>65755216
I'm pretty sure that if this exact same track was made by Meme Grips, /mu/ would be jerking off to it and calling it patrician all the time.
>>
File: shame.jpg (28 KB, 400x387) Image search: [Google]
shame.jpg
28 KB, 400x387
i... i like the tool..
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.