[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
give me the scoop on the white album
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: White-Album.jpg (26 KB, 1220x1220) Image search: [Google]
White-Album.jpg
26 KB, 1220x1220
best disc?
best song or batch of songs?
best member output on the album?
was piggies a mistake?
was sadie sexy?
was it too long long long?
>>
The only mistake is that they didn't put more George songs on it
>>
>>65748858
>best disc?
Nearly every song on disc 1 is solid (Wild Honey Pie and Rocky Raccoon are grating at times), while disc 2 has more highs and lows. I think I prefer the latter overall.
>best song or batch of songs?
Back in the U.S.S.R. -> Dear Prudence -> Glass Onion
Everybody's Got Something -> Sexy Sadie -> Helter Skelter -> Long, Long, Long -> Revolution 1
>best member output on the album?
Long, Long, Long and Savoy Truffle are really cool songs, but George doesn't have enough material on the record to be the best (his 3 tracks are all great though). I think I prefer Lennon's work, although Helter Skelter might be my favorite song on the White Album.
>was sadie sexy?
The song is, but the "Sadie" it's based on is just a cover up for Lennon's disdain for the Maharishi.
>was it too long long long?
Probably, but I think that overly long double albums are generally a cool glimpse into the writing process of a band (Tales From Topographic Oceans is fucking garbage though).
>>
Ever hear it in mono? No "Blisters on my fingers" ending on Helter Skelter, among other differences. The birds chirping and pigs oinking on Blackbird and Piggies are different, the airplane noises are different and louder, and Don't Pass Me By is at a different speed.
>>
>>65748858
If it wasn't so late I'd give you the rundown of the album since it's my very favorite but I will tell you that John Lennon had by far and away the best output on it.
>>
I'm a fan of Lennon's work. Paul's gets a bit too corny for me at times. I think the album is the most satisfying piece of art that the Beatles released, but maybe not the most actual solid album. It does provide a very interesting listening experience though.

Don't really like piggies, but don't hate it. There a bit of gimmick on this album which I'm not a fan of. Sexy Sadie is fantastic, as is I'm So Tired, and Cry Baby Cry is maybe one of my favourite Beatles songs.
>>
it's a great album if you recognize that the sequencing is absolutely fucked. for a band that was so good at perfect flow between tracks like on Revolver or Sgt. Pepper's, for them to release an album this jumbled feels like an open challenge to their audience to fix it. I know I hated the album 'til I redid the sequencing myself.
>>
>>65749301
I'd be interested in trying out your track order because I agree.

Potential for other /mu/tants to post alternative track orderings for this album? Try each others out?
>>
>>65748858
>best disc?
I prefer the first, though both are solid.

>best song or batch of songs?
Oof, there are so many. Like >>65749100 said,
Back in the USSR -> Dear Prudence -> Glass Onion
The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill, Happiness is a Warm Gun, Rocky Raccoon, Julia, Yer Blues, Helter Skelter, Revolution 1, Good Night.
I realize I listed a third of the album, but they're gr8. If I had to pick just one, at the moment, it would be Yer Blues.

Definitely Lennon, but not by too much over Paul, personally. Mainly because he has more songs I favorite than Paul, although the fewer I like by Paul I enjoy more (ie Rocky Raccoon).

>was piggies a mistake?
Nah, they just need a damn good whacking. It's an odd one for sure, but the album's got a lot of different sounds so it's a nice addition imo.

>was sadie sexy?
No, that bitch made a fool of everyone.

You know, I've never liked how that song follows up Helter Skelter. One of the loudest and hardest song in their repertoire and then immediately you get something slower and more somber. Fuck you, my adrenaline is still rushing from I'VE GOT BLISTAHS ON MY FINGAHS. I still like the song but I hate where it's placed.
>>
>>65749348
Side A:
>Back In The USSR
>Birthday
>Glass Onion
>Good Night
>Honey Pie
>I Will
>Martha My Dear
>Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
Side B:
>Piggies
>Revolution 1
>Revolution 9
>Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
>Happiness is a Warm Gun
>Helter Skelter
>I'm So Tired
Side C:
>Julia
>Long, Long, Long
>Mother Nature's Son
>Rocky Raccoon
>Savoy Truffle
>Why Don't We Do It in the Road?
>Wild Honey Pie
>Yer Blues
Side D:
>Blackbird
>Cry Baby Cry
>Dear Prudence
>Don't Pass Me By
>Sexy Sadie
>The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill
>While My Guitar Gently Weeps
>>
best disc?
I don't know, I try to listen to the album as a whole, or I pick individual songs, so this is irrelevant.
best song or batch of songs?
I Will, Helter Skelter, Martha My Dead, Happiness is a Warm Gun, Mother Natures Son, Everybodys Got Something To Hide...
best member output on the album?
Paul by far
was piggies a mistake?
even though I just said Paul was best, Rocky Racoon is my least favorite on the album. Piggies is my 2nd least favorite.
was sadie sexy?
John's 2nd best on the album after Warm Gun
was it too long long long?
No
>>
bump with demos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtfnwwwwF-A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HgSaZ9tj4I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp2wRsjzc4w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQfpwFYFIVg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11dbEdfWtik

bonus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11dbEdfWtik
>>
>>65748858
>best disc?
best song?
>Happiness is a Warm Gun
>best member output
Paul and John
>was Piggies a mistake?
idk really
>was sexy Sadie?
I kind of like it
>was it too long?
Most of the songs on side 2 could've been cut. It could've worked just fine as a 70-80 minute album.
>>
>>65749635
thanks dude I'll report back tomorrow or something
>>
I like Revolution 9, but it should've been a b side. They could've put 2-4 more songs on the album instead like Circles, Not Guilty, Junk, and Child of Nature.
>>
>best disc?
Obviously 1. It has like 10 of their best songs there. Disc 2 is more consistent in quality though.
>best songs or batch of songs?
I don't know if it's the best but Martha My Dear needs more recognition.
Also best patch is Yer Blues up to Cry Baby Cry.
Paul.
>was piggies a mistake?
Nah, it's a nice song.
>was sadie sexy?
The song? Sure.
Maybe, but that's what makes the album special. It's a fucking mess, but I wouldn't want it any other way.
>>
>>65750294
sounds good
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.