[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
RHCP album ranking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: rhcp.jpg (123 KB, 1400x1400) Image search: [Google]
rhcp.jpg
123 KB, 1400x1400
1. BSSM
2. Californication
3. Mothers Milk
4. By the Way
5. Uplift Party Mofo Plan
6. Stadium Arcadium
7. One Hot Minute
8. I'm With You
9. Freaky Styley
10. Debut self titled album

how would you rank them?
>>
1. BSSM
2. Californication
3. Stadium Arcadium
4. Mother's Milk
5. By the Way
6. One Hot Minute
7. Freaky Styley
8. By the Way
9. Uplift Mofo Party Plan
10. I'm With You
11. The Getaway
12. Self Titled
>>
What about the new album?
>>
>>65748213
Although Stadium Arcadium is admittedly my favorite
>>
>all this hate for s/t
WHY DON'T YOU LOVE ME LIKE YOU USED TO DO
>>
>>65748220
I haven't listened to it yet. From what I've heard maybe between Uplift Mofo and Stadium
>>
>>65748232
because it just seemed to dadrock and commercial. it didnt seem as passionate as their previous albums. basically more materialistic
>>
>>65748154
Nice try guys but objective rankings coming through now

1. BSSM
2. One Hot Minute
3. Mother's Milk
4. By the Way
5. Uplift Mofo Party Plan
6. Freaky Styley
7. Californication
8. The Red Hot Chili Peppers
9. The Getaway
10. Stadium Arcadium
11. I'm With You
>>
>>65748316
>because it just seemed to dadrock and commercial.
How? It's no more commercial than their other early albums... which is not at all. In fact I'd say it's less commercial than Uplift Mofo which at least had a few songs that could have potentially gotten radio play.

Debut kinda sucks because it didn't have Slovak. But Sherman had a nice tone and Andy Gill's presence is noticeable giving them a slight Post-Punk vibe.

Grand Pappy Du Plenty is fucking amazing.
>>
>>65748316
It's one of my favorites for reasons kind of like the ones you listed. The s/t is the catchiest album they have ever done
Baby Appeal is one of the all-time best crossover jams.
>>
>>65748445
All our rankings are subjective m8

>>65748481
It just seems forced, like they were making the record for financial reasons rather than for the love of music. So many filler tracks on the album etc. That's just my opinion though.
>>
>>65748972
I know all YOUR rankings are subjective. That's why I emphasized that MINE were objective! :^)
>>
>>65748972
>like they were making the record for financial reasons rather than for the love of music.
This is a band that definitely can be said to genuinely love music. Especially back in those days this wasn't the case.

I think it came off forced because half the members were replaced right after they were signed/right before entering the studio. Plus Andy Gill (producer) pushed them in ways they weren't comfortable with.

Also they were on a major label right from the get go so they were probably pushed to right a hit.

That being said I don't think the album sounds very commercial. If Funk Rock was gonna get big in the 80s it had to sound like Prince or Stevie Wonder and this album sounds like neither. There's not a synth in sight.
>>
>>65748994
But your list is just as subjective as mine, you can't empirically measure which albums are the 'best'. The only way we could do that would be by basing it on album sales
>>
Hard to rank a bunch of 2/10 albums.
>>
>>65749023
i misread you, I thought you meant stadium arcadium
>>
File: Creepy Eddie.jpg (11 KB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
Creepy Eddie.jpg
11 KB, 450x338
>>65749033
>doesn't know my opinion is empirical
>>
>>65749072
Oh! Well in that case I would agree the album does sound kind of forced and with a lack of creativity... to an extent.

I still genuinely believe the band are genuinely dedicated to making music and are emotionally invloved. But IMO Stadium Arcadium, despite being a diverse album, was very sterile and dull.

Save a few songs there's some really boring stuff. Like Readymade... it's like they said "Let's make a classic Rock song!" And then came up with the most dictionary definition worthy version of a Rock song ever.

Also for some reason apparently John wanted to make a "guitar" album and was really into soloing and layering guitars at that time and I think a lot of his ideas were just overly simplistic and dull. Fucking Dani California is the most boring Rock song I've ever heard.
>>
1. BSSM
2. By the Way
3. Mother's Milk
4. Californication
5. One Hot Minute
6. Stadium Arcadium
7. Uplift Party Mofo Plan
8. The Getaway
9. Freaky Styley
10. s/t
11. I'm With You
>>
>>65749130
I'm glad we cleared up the confusion haha. Yeah I believe they have a passion for making music but it seemed like a force album (Stadium) and they weren't overly enthusiastic. As great as John is I think its the one album where what he did just didn't work. The album does have some decent tracks though (Snow, Wet Sand) but most of it is dull
>>
>>65749215
I've heard the SA recordings got kind of troubling and band members weren't getting along. But generally I feel they were just getting stale as writers. And it's a shame because they always seem to have such a genuine passion for music, especially Flea.

SA was also recorded in the same mansion where they lived and wrote/recorded BSSM. Sadly little of that magic seemed to carry over into SA.
>>
>>65749362
I think most bands eventually reach the stale point. Look at Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis etc

Lets hope the Getaway proves that theory wrong
>>
>>65751287
I agree completely. Can't think of any band that got into their 50s without losing their touch when it comes to songwriting.

That being said IMO The Getaway is their best album since BTW and I think they sound far less stale than they have. It's certainly not their best or top 5 even for me. But it's a new sound and it also has the best production they've had since either OHM or BSSM.
>>
>>65748154
1. Freaky Styley
2. BSSM
3.UMPP
Rest is shit.
>>
>>65751347
Agreed, whilst its not great The Getaway is an improvement on I'm With You
>>
>>65751384
1. BSSM
2. Freaky Styley
3. UMPP
4. MM
5. OHM
6. Debut

Rest is shit
>>
>>65748154
Californication
BSSM
Mother's Milk
By the Way
Stadium
Upflit
One Hot Minute
I'm With You
Red Hot
Freaky

This is OFFICIAL. There's no other ranking
>>
>>65751532
With Getaway right below Stadium
>>
>>65751501
Nice list, just put OHM a bit higher. Dave was great in the Chili Peppers.
>>
>>65748154
1. BSSM
2. Californication
3. Stadium Arcadium
4. One Hot Minute
5. S/T
6. Uplift Mofo Party Plan
7. I'm With You
8. Freaky Styley
9. Mother's Milk

Mind you everything past BSSM is heavily lensed for me.
>>
>>65752091
Whoops, I'd put By The Way after OHM.
>>
>>65748232
HOW COME YOU TREAT ME LIKE A WORN OUT SHOE?
>>
1:By The Way
2:Stadium Arcadium
3:BSSM
4:Califronication
5:The Getaway
6I'm Beside You
7:Freaky
8:I'm With You
9:Mother's Milk
10:One Hot Minute
11:Uplift
12:S/T
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.