[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
noise is the new classical
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5
File: merzbow-promo.jpg (3 MB, 2523x1735) Image search: [Google]
merzbow-promo.jpg
3 MB, 2523x1735
noise is the new classical
>>
File: 1466217640117.jpg (404 KB, 1280x852) Image search: [Google]
1466217640117.jpg
404 KB, 1280x852
and is killed by bitches
>>
>>65747868
Meme Genre
Meme Artists
Meme Music
>>
>pop music is the new classical
ftfy
>>
>>65747896
>namefag
no one reads your posts just fyi they see you're a namefag and skip your post or click the minus thing ;))
>>
Classical is the new classical.
>>
>>65747868
Merz is the meme of noise
>>
>>65747886
Fucking women, I swear to God.
>>
>>65747868
>written by trained composers
>emphasis on form and formal considerations
>stored in a written score
>played from the score by professional performers

Not even close. Contemporary classical is the new classical.

Noise is like the opposite of classical

>Written by untrained plebs
>formless, emphasis on nothing in particular
>stored in recordings or exclusively played live
>played by the "musician"
>>
>>65748846
>Music is a technique, never art
>>
File: Stockhausen in the lab.jpg (37 KB, 385x453) Image search: [Google]
Stockhausen in the lab.jpg
37 KB, 385x453
post yfw classical composers invented noise 60 years ago on much more obtuse equipment and still did a better job than anyone active today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwtAMGXyTI4
>>
Noise was always classical. Prove me wrong
>>
>>65747886
why do women have to ruin everything
>>
>>65748901
never implied that friendo.

I can if you like though

Classical:
>Strong emphasis on beauty and emotions
>Crafted as carefully as possible to have depth and timelessness
>literally called "Art music"
>Composers spend their lives researching, practicing, and learning more about their craft

Noise:
>Just some guy making some noise
>Slapped together with little rhyme or reason
>Literally called "noise"
>Any noob with a laptop or some pedals can make it
>>
>>65748910
Noise was pioneered by classical composers in the late 50s, yes.
>>
>>65748846
>>65748955
Who are you quoting?
>>
skrillex is the new mozart
>>
>>65748978
>he doesn't know greentext can be used for implications or just for some variety in the layout

>"Who" not "Whom"

Time to get an education
>>
>>65747886
>ruining noise
lel
>>
>>65748955
Sonic expression without rythme isn't art? Music (or art in general) is an exclusive thing for traditional trainned people or by
geniuses?
>>
>>65748988
>highly popular
>pleases the masses
>simple premise but with plenty of variety

I think you might be right
>>
>>65749015
All music is technically "art" but in the post-duchamp world, art doesn't really mean anything. It can be a recording of a fart or just a mic left in a restaurant and live linked to a concert hall.

"Art music" on the other hand is a very specific label for classical music

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_music
>>
File: 1463907834759.jpg (54 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1463907834759.jpg
54 KB, 499x499
>>65748955
>Literally called "noise"
good point
>>
>>65749052
>Art music—also known as formal music,[1] serious music,[2] erudite music,[3] or legitimate music[4][5] (sometimes shortened to legit music)[6]
wew lad
>>
>>65749058
"Noise is sound that is not wanted by the perceiver, because it is unpleasant, loud, or interferes with hearing. By extension, in experimental sciences, "noise" refers to any random fluctuations of data that makes more difficult the perception of an expected signal."

Pretty accurate. On the opposite end classical is so easy to listen to (at least most common practice stuff - shit gets whack in the 20th century) its the go to background music for classy formal functions
>>
free improv makes noise completely irrelevant
>>
>>65749052
Sure, I agree. But by saying that, isn't the concpet of "Art music" outdated now days?

(Sorry for the shitty inglish)
>>
>>65749133
How are they different?
>>
>>65749154
Art music / Classical is still being written by trained composers all over the world. The concept isn't outdated, and never will be. Its survived for 500 years, no reason it wont survive 500 more. It evolves, as all good art forms should.
>>
>>65749052
So, by your definition, Traditional music isn't art? And neither is Jazz?

What is it with Classicalfags and their compulsive need to make Classical out to be more legitimate than any other form of music?
>>
>>65747868
senpai
>>
I agree

Both are irrelevant
>>
I don't really enjoy classical, generally. Often very boring imo
>>
>>65749182
I'm not him but please read his post before replying.
You're embarassing everyone by confirming the stereotypes associated to pop music fans.
>>
>>65749182
What part of "All music is technically "art"" Didn't you understand?
>>
>>65749204
Don't worry, it'll happen. When you've exhausted every other genre, there's no place to go but classical. Then you'll get it.
>>
>>65748846
>>Written by untrained plebs
>>formless, emphasis on nothing in particular
>>stored in recordings or exclusively played live
>>played by the "musician"
you're listening to the wrong noise

>contemporary classical is the new classical
contemporary classical that isnt avantgarde is garbage 90% of the time
>>
>>65749228
>contemporary classical that isnt avantgarde is garbage 90% of the time
Not even close. Rautavaara, Lera Auerbach, John Psathas, Arvo Part, Steve Reich, John Tavener, just to name a few "non avant garde garbage" contemporary composers
>>
>>65749158
One uses noise in a more lyrical and impactful way while the other just emphasizes on muh harshness

that's just my opinion, tho
>>
>>65749170
>All music is technically "art" but in the post-duchamp world, art doesn't really mean anything

Then art music nowdays doesn't mean anything, that's why the concept is outdated.
>>
>>65749182
"art music" isn't "music that is art." It's a distinction made by musicologists so that they can talk about music made in the tradition of classical music without using the term "classical music," because that's a potentially misleading moniker.

Jazz is art, traditional music is art. It's just not art music.

A lot of people think it's poor terminology, it's not just you.
>>
>>65749228
>you're listening to the wrong noise
Why would I waste my time listening to abrasive music written by untrained plebs? If I want abrasiveness, I want it to be carefully constructed for maximum effect. New Complexity for example
>>
>>65749253
Not all noise is harsh noise
Not all free improv is noisy, pre se
>>
>>65749213
>>65749220
>but in the post-duchamp world, art doesn't really mean anything
>"technically art"
He's implying that Classical music is more more legitimate or more "true" of an art than other forms of music.

And how does listening to Traditional music make me a fan of Popular music, and what stereotypes am I confirming?
>>
>>65749262
"art music" means classical. If you looked at the definition you would know its music written by trained composers, stored primarily in a written score, and intended for live performance by professional performers in the concert hall, along with a host of other technical requirements like paying attention to form or counterpoint / serialism.

Art music just means classical, dont let the label get you down.
>>
>>65749262
It's about tracing musical geneologies, it's not meaningless. The terminology is an important distinction if you want to talk about where the music came from.
>>
>>65749251
>those musicians
all part of the 10%
>>65749285
you're listening to the wrong musicians n1gger. also, nothing wrong with untrained musicians if they're making something interesting. see: no wave
>>
>>65749305
Correct, he's not saying popular music isn't art at all, he's saying the direct opposite.
If you claim that everything can be and is art, that word loses its meaning.
The stereotype of being a dumb-dumb that can't comprehend basic text.
>>
File: Axiomatic Triangle 2.png (130 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Axiomatic Triangle 2.png
130 KB, 1600x1200
>>65749305
Traditional music is not popular music.

Here's a simple image that might clarify things for you

Its pretty easy to see why classical is "more legitimate" than other forms of music: The composers who write it take music seriously, studying it at university, doing masters degrees in composition, and generally devoting their lives to the betterment of their art.
>>
>>65749299
What is a noise album that is not harsh noise? Those artists would probably be filed under free improv
>>
>>65749352
The reason things get muddled is having the stupid title of "Art Music" and "Popular music". It could have been called anything else, like the other names in this post>>65749074

It always results in divisive arguments like these because a missed capital letter here or an abbreviation there, and the text can take a different meaning

>>65749354
I know that Trad isn't Popular music.
>>
Isn't noise music just a meme. Even my GPU makes a pitch.

What is the most easily accessible noise music?
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.