[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So something I've wondered about is how some underground
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: blackflaglater.jpg (23 KB, 356x237) Image search: [Google]
blackflaglater.jpg
23 KB, 356x237
So something I've wondered about is how some underground musicians are able to endure the torturous lifestyles they put themselves through. Like black flag had to go for years with barely eating and touring by driving in cramped broken cars for hours before running into some sort of trouble at their shows. And one member of dinosaur jr put himself through emotional torture by forcing himself to work under J mascis and eventually got so fed up that he attemped to kill mascis. Can anyone help explain? I really feel like I'm missing something when I listen to their music as a result
>>
>>65742167
Iv'e wondered that too. Love for music and a message I guess.
>>
>>65742167
>one member of dinosaur jr put himself through emotional torture by forcing himself to work under J mascis and eventually got so fed up that he attemped to kill mascis

The fuck? Where'd you hear this?
>>
>>65742213
Yeah probably, it feels like there's something else to be understood though
>>65742279
I read about it in our band could be your life. It happened between mascis and lou barlow, and lou nearly made an attempt on mascis' life after having a breakdown. Iirc the attempt was made while he was sleepwalking
>>
a lot of it is just about the love for music and playing shows and the sheer motivation to do that. you have to remember, though, that black flag toured a lot harder than most and were working in a time period when the rulebook on extended underground tours hadn't been written yet (to some extent, they WROTE that rulebook). afaik they were also being a band basically fulltime, so they really depended on playing shows to promote their records and make a living, especially during the long period where they weren't able to sell any records due to legal issues- not to mention the fact that as the biggest hardcore band in america, they were attracting crowds that were more large and violent than most.
that kind of stuff was also exacerbated by the odd personalities that ended up in bands- j masics is pretty obviously like, autistic or something (at the very least, he definitely had trouble relating to other people) and the general shittiness of both greg ginn and rollins is well known, not to mention countless others. i think a lot of poorly adjusted or abnormal people tend to get attracted to 'underground' rock or whatever because it's a world of music that kind of blatantly disregards sales and the mainstream for more abstract and subjective ideas of art and authenticity.
>>
>>65742167
only an emo fag like lou barlow could possibly want to kill a guy who literally is baked out of his mind 24/7 and sleeps all day

sebadoh sucks
>>
>>65742463
Thanks for your response anon. I feel like I can understand better now. You also raise a good point by mentioning that some of those musicians are able to do what they do partly because they aren't well adjusted. It also explains why I can't really relate to this type of music even though it's what I tend to listen to
>>
also, i think that these kinds of clashes and problems tend to arise within any kind of long-term collaborative project- it's rare that a group of people will get together who are all thinking along exactly the same lines, especially when they're brought about by and individual or a couple of individuals looking for more people to realise their own project as opposed to organically arising from a group of close friends. if you spend a long time with a bunch of other people in vans or rehearsal rooms or studios, you're either going to end up growing closer to them or hating them- and often if you end up hating them, you may still feel obliged to continue being in a band with them because you quit your dayjob or you feel invested in the music or for whatever reason, which will naturally make things tense.
>>
>>65742167
Do you think Black Flag ever circle-jerked? Like Henry saying "oh fuck im gonna explode all over this window"
>>
>>65743131
probs where keith morris got introduced to the concept
>>
>>65742167
Youth, mainly
Young men are willing to do literally anything to prove themselves worthy
They attach themselves to a cause, any cause, and abuse themselves trying to prove their legitimacy
Being in a road dog garage band touring on no budget for years is just one way to do this
>>
>>65742463
What other people toured so hard, or at least when the concept of doing it that way was pratically nonexistent?
>>
>>65743131
best post on /mu/ atm
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.