[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My record player is set at 33-1/3 and it sounds reall Slow. Also
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (967 KB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
967 KB, 2448x2448
My record player is set at 33-1/3 and it sounds reall Slow. Also it really quiet.
Pic related:
>>
File: image.jpg (969 KB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
969 KB, 2448x2448
This is the out put idk what the fork thing is
>>
>>65737204
that's a grounding wire. That probably isn't causing the problem unless you're getting a loud humming noise.

have you tried different records? What's your receiver?
>>
A. Record players without a manual adjust are pointless how can you trust the mechanical speed? If it starts to slow down, there's nothing you can do about it.

B. That forked thing is a ground wire. Read about what it does, or just eat it. whatever
>>
>>65737204
Does your reciever have phono input? If you don't have some kind of phono preamp, the record player will sound quiet.

Slowness- is it a belt driven turntable? You can do some things to fix a slow belt driven turntable, but otherwise you need to take it to a hi-fi store.
>>
>>65737144
you need to turn it 90 degrees clockwise
>>
>>65737144
Take off the platter and take a pic.
>>
Op here garage sale gamble and i lost... Took it back. 30 bucks richer
>>
>>65738195

OP, for future reference, here are some things I wish people told me before I bought a record player (after some tribulation, rockin' out with a Rega P3 right now, highly recommended if you have the cash):

when looking for a turntable you want a couple of things. The first thing is to have the fewest electronics as possible. The only features a good turntable has are:
1) a mechanical cue
2) an on/off switch
3) manual adjustable speed (direct drive only)

Secondly, the tonearm... You want to look for a tonearm with an adjustable counterweight. This enables you to do basic things like replacing or upgrading the cartridge. Otherwise you'll end up with whacky tracking force which will destroy your records and the cartridge cantilever system after a few listens. The one exception to this is the U-Turn Orbit, which I don't believe has an adjustable counterweight, but is still a good turntable.

Finally, you want to make absolutely sure that the turntable plays at the correct speed. This isn't so important if it's a belt-driven turntable, because you can just put a rubber band on the gears, but on direct drive turntables, playing at the incorrect speed is a sign of failing electronics. You can figure out if it's the right speed accurately enough by using a stopwatch and your eyes.

Finally, record cartridges produce a phono signal, which is much less powerful than a typical audio signal from e.g., a tape deck by several orders of magnitude. This is corrected by putting it through a preamp, which boosts the signal and removes some surface sound. Many old recievers have phono input, so you can just plug it in and forget, but most new recievers do not have phono input, so it's essential that you have a preamp if you're buying a reciever from after ~1980.

I'd suggest trying to find a used Audio Technica turntable, which you can usually get for around $50 on Craigslist. Make sure to google the model number and inspecct it to make sure it's not crap before buying.
>>
>>65738497
is the u-turn orbit actually good? I'm thinking about getting one and it's pretty cheap.
>>
>>65738621
The audiophile guys I know only recommend the fully upgraded version. I've heard a few records on it and if you're going to spend 300 dollars anyway, I'd put in a little extra and get a Rega RP1 or RP3. They just have so much more detail and depth in the mid and high ranges, there's really no going back. Plus there's more room to upgrade those turntables than there is a u-turn.

Just my opinion though.
>>
>>65738807
Just as a final ccomment, if you're a student and have no/very little income, but expect in a number of years to have good income, buy a u-turn.

Otherwise, if you have good income and are capable of puttting aside around a thousand over the next say, 3-8 months, then I'd recommend doing that and buying a much nicer turntable.
>>
>>65738195
You can take stuff back to a garage sale?
>>
>>65738903
ok thanks
>>
>>65737144
that is a p dope turntable, got linear tracking. I'd have tried to fix it if I were you but at least you got your money back
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.