[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>brother says he hates bjork and she sounds awful >he claims
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 1
File: tisktisk.jpg (17 KB, 388x415) Image search: [Google]
tisktisk.jpg
17 KB, 388x415
>brother says he hates bjork and she sounds awful
>he claims he has heard her before
>can't name one a song/album
>doesn't remember where he has heard her before either
>>
Sounds like /mu/ and their opinions
>>
>person mentions they hate artist
>play artist without telling them who it is
>WHO DIS?
>>
>>65736690
making fun of bjork was a popular thing in 2000s comedy TV and online for some reason

i used to say the same shit when I was a kid because of some vh1 special I saw, I'm guessing he has a similar level of experience
>>
>>65736726
I have a friend who rails against animal collective constantly and we've tested the waters playing them around him p often

He's only noticed one time because someone was laughing and other times has actually visibly been into the song

I don't think he's actually ever listened to them once
>>
>>65736690
My dad says that Bjork and Kate Bush are terrible singers

He really likes Ed Sheeran
>>
Are you a Bjork fan?

I used to shit on the beach boys soley because my friend was a huge fan of them and I thought it was funny.

I was a teenager, I'm assuming you / he are as well
>>
>>65736846
Yes, and I am 20 by the way. And listen, I don't care that he doesn't like Bjork. I only care that he bases his opinion on absolutely nothing. I hate that he instantly dismisses anything remotely challenging, or doesn't read/fully listen to the lyrics to understand the song and why it sounds like that.
>>
>>65736928
>I don't care
>goes on to explain reasons why you care

You sound flustered, if you were my friend I'd continue shitting on the beach boys just to see how mad you'd get about it.

If you want him to give them a shot, play some around him and don't tell him what you're playing. If he recognizes it, you'll know he's not lying
>>
>>65736928
I would care if someone told me they don't like Bjork
>>
gtfo of here with these shit threads.

You're boring, uncreative and you're not adding anything to the board.
>>
>>65736998
As I said, if he were to actually give her a chance, actually attempt to understand the music, and then not like her. I would understand. I just hate the way he forms opinions about music.
>>
>>65736690
>what you don't remember the very specifics of something you don't like and are uninterested in?
Yeah sounds reasonable to me
>>
i sent my now ex gf Theres More to Life Than This and she said that she sounded satanic

christian girls, never again.
>>
>>65737116
Sweet bait, here's an upvote my friend. I wish I could give you some gold.
>>
>>65736998
I'm not that anon but holy shit your reading comprehension is awful
>>
>>65737175
Yeah because having a justified opinion means having no knowledge about what you call shit, or even remember hearing them. Right sorry about that.
>>
>>65737252
Seriously, he didn't understand what I said at all. And I made that extremely clear why I said that I don't care about someone's opinion, as long as it is backed up with solid evidence and knowledge about what you call shit.
>>
>>65737257
>knowing name and location is knowledge needed to form a musical opinion
Do YOU know music theory?
>>
>>65737293
What does Musical Theory have to do with what I am saying? This is only about forming opinions. I'm sorry, but if you listen to an artist for three seconds and dismiss it as "shit" then it isn't a justified opinion at all. When I mean knowledge, I mean at least tell me where you have heard her. Because that person then could be improperly listening to that music. Tip your fedora harder faggot.
>>
>>65737343
>What does Musical Theory have to do with what I am saying?
Well you would need to know it in order to form a justified music opinion, right?

So do you know it or not?
>>
>>65737438
Yes, but I feel like you can also justify an opinion by actually giving it a chance and understanding the music, such as the lyrics and tone of the song.
>>
>>65737512
>but I feel like you can also justify an opinion by actually giving it a chance
That's true, but knowing a name/location has nothing to do with giving it a chance, does it? It's just trivial information that is separate from the art--and more importantly the emotional connection to said art--in the fireplace.

If you think name/location is important in forming a justified music opinion, then lets push your logic further and say Music Theory is needed to form a justified music opinion as well.

So.... do you know music theory?
>>
>>65737626
>in the fireplace.
*in the first place
>>
>>65737626
Well no, I was just trying to enforce the fact that my brother bases his opinion off of absolutely nothing, having no knowlege of ever listening to Bjork in the first place. As he bases it off what comedy shows have said in the past (Family Guy, SNL, etc...). I can accept and think the opinion is justified if you are proven to have given it a chance and attempt to understand it. If you give anything three seconds, and then say, "That is absolutely shit". Do you believe that opinion is justified in any way? I understand music theory, but that is detached to what I am saying. I am just talking about forming a justified opinion about anything. Since I don't really believe music theory is required to justify an opinion in the first place.
>>
>>65737838
>! was just trying to enforce the fact that my brother bases his opinion off of absolutely nothing
Hearing it is nothing?
>having no knowlege of ever listening to Bjork in the first place
How do you know? Are you his keeper?
>Do you believe that opinion is justified in any way?
The opinion that he doesn't like Bjork? Yes. He's entitled to it. I do the same thing-- I don't remember what song or where I heard Kanye West, but I know it's garbage. The what and where is information i discarded because I don't like said artist.
>Since I don't really believe music theory is required to justify an opinion in the first place.
But knowing the name of a song and where you heard it is?
>>
>>65737938
Judging it off of listening to it for three seconds isn't justified. He has acknowledged that he hasn't properly listened to Bjork, but still calls her shit anyway. Which is stupid, if you were simply uninterested in listening to an artist, that doesn't give you the right to call it shit.

Have you at least attempted to listen to Kanye West? And please forget what I said about knowing specific names, I was just trying to enforce the fact that he hasn't ever attempted to properly listen to her once, and bases his opinion off of comedy shows that heavily exaggerate what they parody. Sure, he can be entitled to it, but I have the right to think that his opinion is garbage based off of what justifies his opinion.
>>
>>65738209
>Judging it off of listening to it for three seconds isn't justified.
How do you know he listened it to three seconds?
>He has acknowledged that he hasn't properly listened to Bjork,
What is the "proper" way to listen?
>>65738209
>Have you at least attempted to listen to Kanye West?
I just said I did.
>>
>>65738234
Because he has told me that he hasn't listened to her, and has no interest. Which is what I just told you.

>He has acknowledged that he hasn't properly listened to Bjork, but still calls her shit anyway.

To me, properly listening to it is listening to it with your own time, by listening to the song and the lyrics with a neutral mindset. If you go into an artist, expecting it to be instantly bad, that can totally change the perspective of how you listened to it. If you do not like it, at least have reasons why you don't personally like the music. He doesn't have any reason, and justifies it based off of comedy shows.
>>
I hate Chvrches and I haven't heard a single song of them
>>
>>65738336
>Because he has told me that he hasn't listened to her
But you said he did. in the OP:
>>brother says he hates bjork and she sounds awful
>sounds awful

>To me, properly listening to it is listening to it with your own time, by listening to the song and the lyrics with a neutral mindset. If you go into an artist, expecting it to be instantly bad, that can totally change the perspective of how you listened to it. If you do not like it, at least have reasons why you don't personally like the music. He doesn't have any reason, and justifies it based off of comedy shows.
Nice! But do you know music theory? To me, giving it a proper listen means charting out every song on paper first before giving a proper opinion.

So have you done that to either Kanye West or Bjork for that matter?
>>
>>65738495
As I said, he was basing that off of satirical shows, instead of listening to the actual music. Please read what I say.

I'm sorry, but I don't "chart out" every song on a paper. Almost nobody does that mate. Do you want a medal for that? Are you saying that people who don't do that, do not have a proper opinion? Well fuck me, let's all bow down to you because you dedicate your time by charting out every single song you listen to. Damn, that's the only way to form an opinion, I didn't know that.
>>
>>65738722
>Please read what I say.
Did you read what I said, specifically:
>How do you know? Are you his keeper?
Well, are you? Do you follow his every move? Are you a creepo or what?

I'm sorry, but I don't remember where I heard every song and what it's called. Almost nobody does that mate. Do you want a medal for that? Are you saying that people who don't do that, do not have a proper opinion? Well fuck me, let's all bow down to you because you dedicate your time by writing down the name and where you heard every single song you listen to. Damn, that's the only way to form an opinion, I didn't know that.
>>
>>65738827
He has acknowledged the fact that he hasn't listened to Bjork before. I've already told you this, please read what I have to say.

What were you attempting with the second part?
>>
>>65738827
Does your brain work or are you trying to bait me? Because you are literally talking in circles and mentioning shit I have already explained in the past.
>>
>>65738946
>>65738972
Is this b8?

See >>65738827
>>
>>65739019
You just keep arguing with shit I have already mentioned in this thread before. Which is why I don't think your brain doesn't work.
>>
>>65739064
What post did you say it?
>Which is why I don't think your brain doesn't work
Said someone who doesn't know music theory
>>
>>65739092
You said, "Are you his keeper?" And I already said the fact that he personally said that he hasn't listened to Bjork before, and that he justifies it with people's satire. I've said this three times.

>>65737938

>Said someone who doesn't know music theory
I've mentioned that I do know music theory.
>>
>>65739256
>And I already said the fact that he personally said that he hasn't listened to Bjork before
Which quote?
>I've mentioned that I do know music theory.
Prove it.
>>
>>65739322

>>65738209
>He has acknowledged that he hasn't properly listened to Bjork

>>65737838
>As he bases it off what comedy shows have to say in the past
>I understand music theory

Are you trying to waste my time?
>>
>>65739322
I'm convinced you are purposely trying to waste my time.
>>
>>65739452
>properly
Ah, nice goalpost shifting
>>
>>65740210
Seriously, why are you trying to waste my time? Do you have the memory of a goldfish or something?
>>
>>65738209
Not the guy you were already arguing with but, you keep saying three seconds. He could've heard like five songs for all you know across a few albums. Don't be fucking stupid, you don't know the full extent of your brother's knowledge. Play it when you're around him and see if he likes it at all, tell him it's Bjork in the first place. No, hearing three seconds of a song will not give you a good sample of the artist, neither will knowing music theory (people can enjoy music that isn't technically fucking amazing; see: Twist and Shout, Delta Blues, any song in the key of C major that doesn't use more advanced alternates like aug, add4, etc.) and listening to an entire song that one does not like is entirely unecessary, if a person were to listen to a few that may seem promising (i.e. her more popular songs) and decide based upon that to delve deeper. But arguing that your brother can't possibly not know about Bjork is, at least, being as ignorant as you suppose him to be. For fuck's sake.
>>
>>65740524
>waste my time
You mean like posting on 4chan?
>>
>>65740707
Also. To add. I'm not saying he would remember those hypothetical five songs or even hear them purposefully. Only that he heard them, knew they were by her for one reason or another and then decided he did not like the sound he heard.
>>
>>65740707
Please read the thread. I have already mention the fact like fifteen times that he has acknowledged in the fucking past that he HASN'T listened to Bjork before. He will not listen to it as he is stubborn with his opinions. For fuck sake, why can't any one read?
>>
>>65741953
Read this very carefully okay?

MY BROTHER HASN'T LISTENED TO BJORK BEFORE AND HE HAS SAID THAT HE HASN'T LISTEN TO BJORK BEFORE. HE JUDGES HIS OPINION BASED ON THE SATIRE THAT PEOPLE MAKE ABOUT BJORK IN THE FIRST PLACE.

For fuck sake, why is that so difficult for someone to understand??
>>
>>65736786
You and your friends sound like nerds
>>
>>65736834
Ed sheeran's plus was an excellent album
>>
>>65736928
>Challenging
>Music
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.