[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fuck this barely English speaking, bad taste in hats wearing,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: griot-magazine-thelonious-monk_.jpg (153 KB, 805x840) Image search: [Google]
griot-magazine-thelonious-monk_.jpg
153 KB, 805x840
Fuck this barely English speaking, bad taste in hats wearing, piano wank master motherfucker
>>
>>65724634
>jazz
>piano wank master

how would you describe any orchestral composer from the classical era?
>>
delete now OP. someone with your level of autism shouldn't be here.
>>
File: 1454919265131.gif (11 KB, 323x76) Image search: [Google]
1454919265131.gif
11 KB, 323x76
>>65724634
>>
Ok this is the first time obvious bait has gotten me mad on here so kudos
>>
>>65724663
It's in the filename
>>
>>65724663
The Loneliest Monk
>>
>>65724634
>berates Monk for barely speaking english
>in an awkwardly constructed and incorrect english sentence

wdhmbt...
>>
>>65724757
because, I can do, alrite!
>>
I hate it when people who play instrumental music don't speak english.
>>
File: 28aq81v.gif (2 MB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
28aq81v.gif
2 MB, 400x300
>>65724634
>plebs are 100% triggered by the monk

Figures.
>>
i dont know whats worse, hating on monk or not knowing who monk is
>>
>>65724634
I agree. No music bores me as much as jazz. Jazz is in perfect correspondence to blacks' IQs. It has no composition, no imagination, no scope. Every time I listen to a groundbreaking jazz masterpiece, I am disappointed by the sheer severe lack of design and ideas to communicate.

But jazz listeners see in it what jazz makers tell them to see.

>>65724757
Excepting spelling and hyphenation, that sentence was correct.
>>
Monk is awesome.
>>
What makes him supposedly so weird? Post some weird Monk
>>
>>65725158
He's mind-numbingly bad, you just lack the discrimination to tell apart 'he never repeats' from 'he has any clue what he's doing'.

I just realized why jazz pieces have emotionally evocative titles: it's to assert their mutual difference in lieu of any actual uniqueness. Jazz truly never stands or communicates on its own.
>>
>>65725210
In fact, jazzplaying is the musical equivalent of shitposting: the vast majority of musicians are capable of doing it, they just have the respect towards their listeners not to, instead choosing to integrate and assimilate their playing into some sort of structure.
>>
>>65725210
Just curious, doing you have any classical training or music theory knowledge? Like would you recognize a German sixth if you saw or heard one? Not that it's bad if you don't.
>>
>>65725255
In other words, it's not wrong to start your musical journey with jazz, the problem is when it ends at it.
>>
>>65725266
'B-but the things he's doing has NAMES, this means it's good, right? Right?'
>>
File: Adorno.jpg (128 KB, 1024x1115) Image search: [Google]
Adorno.jpg
128 KB, 1024x1115
>mfw teenager implies jazz is good near me
>>
>>65725313
>neo-marxist manlets
>worth consideration at all

good one anon
>>
>>65725284
lol
It's hard to tell if people who post like this are actually this pretentious and dismissive or putting on a persona for /mu/
>>
>>65725334
Not to mention that owing to correlation/causation, literally everything the man would play has a name by now but it doesn't follow that his choice to do it was any conscious.
>>
>>65725348
(Which isn't even the primary problem -- that is that jazz is disjointed, namely slicing it and randomly rehashing it would result in just as esteemed a 'masterpiece of musical foresight and unparalleled vision'.)
>>
>>65725118
>excepting the incorrect parts, that sentence was correct
>>
>>65725388
Considering that 'sentence' by definition refers to grammatical terms of subject and predicate, its validity should also depend solely on its grammar, but fair enough.
>>
>>65725348
(Which, also, is corroborated by the fact that I have never read any jazz 'great' talk about music theory himself -- that tend to do whites. Jazz makers themselves just prattle about spirits and souls typically.)
>>
>>65725176
Well I mean his music was certainly a little weird considering the era.

However, in terms of personality, dude was kind of fucking insane
>>
>>65725510
You need to be insane to be as impatient as to choose to play whatever comes to your mind without considering if it sounds good.

Though then, considering the politically motivated receptiveness of jazz listeners either way, maybe not.
>>
>>65725118
You are missing one great thing: the ability to improvise and respond accordingly. That's basically what jazz is--to forget all your training and get tripped up by a band mate going off...

Written on paper one way, rehearsed a million times. And then BOOM what'cha gonna do when I stayed in B flat and followed the drummer instead of you? His change was more interesting so I went that way...that's jazz, because jazz allows for straight up change. Rock/whatever relies on planning (verse/chorus/verse)...but if you're in the moment, playing with a guy who pushes you...you take the challenge and say "let's do this"....

Otherwise why not just play weddings and funerals?
Music at it's best is a dialogue...speak through your instrument and say what you want to say.
Or even lay back and let someone else speak for a while....that's the beauty of it all. Take risks; just like Monk often did....Or play it safe and wear a velvet suit at an upscale restaurant somewhere...
>>
>>65725778
Why is it great?

This argument is always brought up and never stands.

Why do jazz listeners always have to rely on nonmusical factors to defend it?

If I co-paint a painting with someone else, does it inherently make it better? No.

If I co-construct a car, does it inherently make it faster or more reliable? No.

Why should the same apply to music?

>inb4 but it's unique this way

Unique != good.
>>
>>65725808
>>65725778
Not to mention, of course, that like a true jazz fan, you slipped in a whole host of non sequitur insults towards composers, such as that they 'don't take risks', 'play it safe', are snobs, that it is reduced to verse/chorus, that composers 'are not in the moment' as they compose, that they avoid challenge, that they don't push themselves, that they don't embrace change, that they're not interesting, that they waste their time doing the same thing 'millions of times'...

This is why everyone hates jazz listeners.
>>
>>65725836
In fact (I'm sorry, but jazz rherotic is so full of insults that it's hard to read every single thing), you even accused composers of disingenuity ('not saying what they want to say') and basic nonmusicality ('not speaking through their instruments'). Jazz elitism just makes one stare.
>>
>>65725313
Adorono would wank himself over jazz nowadays since it's gotten less popular and more of a socially niche genre
>>
>>65725924
I have yet to meet someone who doesn't like jazz.
>>
>>65725944
>>65725924
I mean, it's understandable -- hip hop is equally popular, and both betray as much intelligence of the creator.
>>
File: 1460944031477.jpg (130 KB, 832x690) Image search: [Google]
1460944031477.jpg
130 KB, 832x690
>when people get mad because jazz is incomprehensible when listened to as pop music
hahahaha, stay pleb
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.