[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I had never been so wrong about a piece of art until now
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4
I had never been so wrong about a piece of art until now
>>
First time I heard that album I hated it. I thought the mixing was horrible because the vocals were inaudible and it ruined it for me.

My second listen?

Oh my
>>
glad you've come around. just remember that what you want is actually the best song on the album.
>>
>>65724004
Nice taste anon. I've never seen any other anon say this. We should fug
>>
>>65724004
THANK YOU

what you want is objectively the best song and I've thought this since high school
>>
>VRRRRROOOOOMMMMM
But seriously probably one of my favorite albums. "Sometimes" is 10/10
>>
Ive loved this album for years yet for whatever reason I have the hardest time remembering the song names like they're all named vague titles like I Only Said or When You Sleep but I always fuck it up is anyone else as stupid as me out there
>>
>>65724053
It's because you have fleeting meme memory

You're a cuck millennial and you love big ol black dick in your ass

Sit down and learn the fucking titles you faggot
>>
>>65724023
sure if you're a submissive qt3.14
>>
>>65724053
Nah you're fine. A lot of dream pop and shoegaze have very vague, meaningless titles because no one can hear the lyrics anyway, much less care about interpreting the lyrics.
>>
>>65724091
I ain't even mad that was fun to read bait

>>65724105
Right and combine that with my already crap memory and I'm basically fucked. I just usually listen to albums in full anyways.
>>
WHEN I LOOK AT YOU
>>
>>65724004
>>65724023
>>65724034
go beat rocks together you effeminate plebs
>>
>>65724037
>Sometimes
only song i listen to from mbv

I need more songs like this.
>>
I've never objected to the production at all, but I still have never liked it. Is there something else I'm supposed to get?
>>
>>65723869
you are high
>>
take a metric ton of DXM and listen to that album

it's wonderful
>>
>>65723869
am I a pleb for only really enjoying only shallow?
>>
>>65725501
What about When You Sleep and Sometimes? Give those another shot
>>
>>65724569
OH I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S REAL
>>
>>65724004
it's my favorite too 0:
>>
>>65725638
Just did. Findings:

When You Sleep:
It's weird, like I enjoy the melody but not the tambre. it just sounds noisy and cluttered. I feel like if I took out all the distortion I'd enjoy it more. I don't think the distortion adds anything enjoyable. The vocal whammying doesn't bother me, just the noisiness of the guitars. and boards. should have ended after 2 verses

Sometimes:
Same problem. I can't hear shit. it's like they're playing in an earthquake. I'm following along with the lyrics using google, and it's helping. I think if I listen to it enough, I'll find beauty in the distortion, and these songs will turn into a beuatiful mix drink of distortion and melody. The progression is beautiful, but i can hardly hear it.
>>
>>65725501
yeah but that's how it starts. Then one day you'll start liking another song, maybe sometimes or when you sleep. And then next thing you know its your favorite album of all time
>>
>>65725733
Sounds probable. It happened with okc, I don't see why it can't happen here.
>>
>>65725688
ONCE IN A WHILEEE
>>
>>65725304
the whole album is like 11 hazy dreams each representing a feeling, and when you start feeling the feelings, that's when you get it
>>
>>65723869
I dislike 'music' that obscures its falling short of standards with noise.
>>
>>65725743
focus on the vocal melodies and all the layers of like synths and samplers, they're beautiful and you'll stop thinking about the noise. Also watch lost in translation maybe
>>
>>65725799
will do, thanks breh. what does that movie have to do with anything?
>>
>>65725724
>it just sounds noisy and cluttered. I feel like if I took out all the distortion I'd enjoy it more

don't you hate the film magnolia? there are so many characters and it's so confusing. i feel like if they just made it more simple i could enjoy it
>>
>>65725949
kevin shields from mbv did the soundtrack for that movie and sometimes is in it too and the movie feels a bit like loveless to me in terms of feels.
>>
File: obama.jpg (112 KB, 568x346) Image search: [Google]
obama.jpg
112 KB, 568x346
The third-or-so time I listened to this album, I did it in the dark laying in bed with headphones, volume turned way up.

After ten tracks of the wall of texture, the transition from "What You Want" to "Soon" where suddenly a lot of the noise gets stripped away was magical; it illicited an emotional response in me that I still don't quite understand exactly what it was. It felt like hearing sound for the first time.

Did anyone else experience anything remotely like that with this album?
>>
>KISS
>>
>>65725974
never heard of it :( but you have my sympathies.
>>
>>65726022
I also very much enjoyed the transition, it was like a palate cleanser. I should add the part with the darkness and the headphones, because for me it was a cool moment, not an album maker.
>>
>>65725724
get high. preferably stoned. preferably on dopey stuff. go to a beach if there is a beach near you. listen to loveless then. and make sure the volume is high. it shouldn't be blasting but it should be above the volume you usually choose

come back here when you're finished and we'll workshop it
>>
>>65725724
I think you're trying to enjoy it like you normally would for a pop album. You're trying to pay attention to the lyrics as if the vocals are important. The vocals are merely another instrument are of equal importance to the layers of guitars around it.
Just close your eyes nigga and don't think about it.

If Loveless ends up not being your style, try Souvlaki.
>>
>>65726151
I get out of the navy in 5 years, at which point getting high is actually on the table. I hope you don't mind the wait, but I'll take you up on that.
>>
>>65726171
>you're trying to enjoy it like you normally would for a pop album

busted.
>>
>>65726177
i'll be here

i'll still... be here
>>
>>65724004
Agreed
>>
>>65723975
same, I made a lot of "vacuum" memes
>>
>>65726151
I hate smoking weed but dream pop/shoegaze is an entirely different story and I have to be alone. The way my brain peels apart the layers and I can hear all of them completely separately is amazing.

I did shrooms a few weeks ago, and while it was my worst drug experience besides the meth comedown (meth high itself was great though), the first hour after the comeup was amazing. I listened to Asobi Seksu - Citrus and wept for about 20 minutes because it was the most euphoric experience of my life. I saw each of the instruments as a separate animation on the wall and it was truly something else.
>>
i once heard to here knows when and i just felt that it was something MORE than music. It's been my favourite song ever since. pure sonical perfection. i've listened to a lot of records since loveless and it's no doubt, it's still the best album ever.
>>
>>65725745
AND YOU MAKE MEEEEE, LAUGH

>>65723869
>Art
>>
>>65725763
You remind me one of those kids who go on about how people don't even use instruments in music anymore, and electronic music isn't real music.
It must suck to look at music as something more of a sport or competition, opposed to a piece of art.

>>65728360
Art.
>>
Sometimes is just way too beautiful.
>>
File: Fishmans_Long_Season.jpg (179 KB, 600x597) Image search: [Google]
Fishmans_Long_Season.jpg
179 KB, 600x597
listened to this high, shit was crazy
>>
i don't really like it, i'll give it another shot
>>
>>65728562
>It must suck to look at music as something more of a sport or competition, opposed to a piece of art.

When melodies are obscured by or minimized by focus on sonic qualities, artists who create the former are undervalued. If we recognize rhymeless rhythmess string as poetry, true poets are underappreciated. If we recognize giant dildos as sculpture, true sculptors are underappreciated. If we recognize 'Loveless' as music, true music is underappreciated.
>>
>>65729174
>>65728562
In other words, I have absolutely nothing about electronic music if not for the fact that the compositions are objectively inferior to instrumental music. If I covered it in guitar, it would remain mediocre.
>>
>>65729188
you're aware of the fact that its one of the most critically acclaimed and influential albums ever right?
>>
File: 1445787968161.jpg (24 KB, 287x285) Image search: [Google]
1445787968161.jpg
24 KB, 287x285
>>65724887
>effeminate males
>inferior
wowee
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.