[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What makes an album a 10 to you?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
What makes an album a 10 to you?
>>
no hands orgasm while listening
>>
>>65722480
cowbells
>>
>>65722568
you joke but 808 cowbells are actually one of my favorite sounds in music
>>
File: Len.jpg (36 KB, 460x288) Image search: [Google]
Len.jpg
36 KB, 460x288
>>65722480
If it's good enough for Len, it's good enough for me
>>
>>65722480
usually it has to garner an emotional response
>>
if it sounds good
>>
>>65722480
I can recognize when something is so well-made, that it's hard to imagine anyone doing "that" better; but that's not all there is to music. if it was I'd still be listening to Another Green World and Murmur as if they were the greatest albums ever made

to me they aren't. there has been enough music made by people who felt an existential need to produce music that pushed boundaries. that's why I tend to listen to music that feels like it's being made by people who feel like they're discovering something completely new - or music by people who were lucky enough to have been born into a living tradition, where all they had to do was live up to what came before. sometimes that's all it takes, but even that's extremely difficult for most of us.

to me it comes down to emotional commitment. playing it like you mean it; that and knowing how far you can push boundaries without destroying what makes the form useful for guiding creative activity.
>>
>>65722480
scaruffi gave it a 8+
>>
File: Foals cover.jpg (194 KB, 1200x627) Image search: [Google]
Foals cover.jpg
194 KB, 1200x627
>>65722480
I feel like there is something deeper in music.
Like this song.
https://youtu.be/g-n4U2KZZVs
>>
>>65723204
good answer
>>
Three great songs, no bad ones
>>
>>65722525
>when she gets up to leave
>>
>>65722480
9 is basically perfect, a 10 from me means that it got a strong emotional response, which I pretty much actively try to search for in music
>>
It has to give Kind of Blue a run for its money. Otherwise it's a 9.
>>
>>65722480
Consistently entertaining. It doesn't have to be perfect, if the faults are still interesting and contribute to the album. Consistency is super important too, perfect albums have a certain tone to them that can only be made through consistency
>>
>>65722480
>band really playing their asses off, no 'less is more' bullshit, genuine drive to communicate as much as possible: +3 points
>band really considering every single note, variations, no repetition at all: +3 points
>being really emotionally moving: +3 points
>magic special component: +1 point
>>
>>65723204
>push boundaries without destroying what makes the form useful for guiding creative activity

The latter part is important. Boundaries are to be pushed and bended, but not broken. Skill and beauty lies in adaptation, not in total disregard.

Good post.
>>
lyrics that make me want suicide, or lyrics that make me want life
>>
>>65722480
Simply flawless/ Entirely enjoyable all the way through. For me only two albums have hit this for me. Person Pitch and Soundtracks for the blind. Not memeing. I listen to a lot of music but those are the prime example of albums that in my opinion are perfect.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.