[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did anyone come to enjoy this album? Months later, and after
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 1035x1035-battles_album.jpg (67 KB, 1035x1035) Image search: [Google]
1035x1035-battles_album.jpg
67 KB, 1035x1035
Did anyone come to enjoy this album? Months later, and after seeing it live it is so disappointingly boring.
>>
>>65699492
I still stand that it's really underrated.
It's easily Battles' most subtle album. I love the linear structures of the songs, they flow fantastically well, each song being based around one sound or idea, and all these other sounds and rhythms flowing in and out. The album is super consistent.

But at the same time, it's just consistently great. There's no moments that stick out to you, or really punch you. Nothing like when Ice Cream kicks in, or the last half of Sundome.

Solid 8/10 for me. Like it more than Mirrored, not as much as Gloss Drop.
>>
>>65699525
Hmm, I can see what you mean about the writing centralized around a sound or idea and that is cool and interesting. I just saw them live and realized this exact thing but it made the show way less interesting, certainly not a fun set of songs to move around to.

Going from Atlas to one of the La Di Da Di tracks killed the set for me. It's just the lack of a groove, and the linearity I expect to build to something but never does. It's like a Battles version of the quiet/loud/quiet uninteresting third-wave post-rock to me.
>>
>>65699598
Funny, I saw them live shortly after the release and loved it.

It's really just the kind of listener. I totally get some not liking it. Especially considering it's pretty different from Battles' other stuff. It's more of a weird prog album, without the dancy grooviness behind the last 2. But there's a lot else to love in it.

Another one of the highlights is the drumming. Drums are treated more as an instrument than a background thing for rhythm in such a great way. Tyne Wear is just mostly drums with other instrumentation providing the backing for it.
>>
the songs, in comparison with gloss drop, are very similar but less fleshed out and overall not interesting to me.

its really a rehashed gloss drop type sound but without as much thought or emotion put into it

its a fail for me, and gloss drop is a masterpiece of an album to me

honestly havent even felt like listening to it after hearing it a few times
>>
It has absolutely no charm, unlike their previous albums, and comes with a bunch of filler to boot, namely the short but annoying synth-driven songs. I did enjoy some of the longer tracks, but ultimately this album deserves no more than a 5.
>>
>>65699492
what you were expecting, a chef ramsay?
>>
>>65699492
As uninteresting and disappointing as the first time I listened to it.
>>
>>65700643
agreed
>>
it has like one or two strong tracks, a bunch of "ok..." tracks and a few weak borderline insulting tracks for such a great band. the single was weak, i don't understand how people can like the yabba, it has nothing going for it compared with something like ice cream or atlas
>>
I love it, but I wish they did guest vocals like gloss drop.
>>
It's even more boring live
>>
>>65699492
>>65699598
>>65702791
What's with all these comments? I didn't manage to catch them live and I was so upset about it. Were they really bad? Makes me feel better if it's true.
>>
After going back to the other 4 (dem EPS count Bois) I gotta say I think this is Battles at their best. I like some stuff on mirrored, but the production on it sounds cheap compared to LDDD. Drums have way better sound on this record and each instrument feels like its being given equal attention in the mix. Which makes sense to me, this is a band that works off the dynamics between each instrument and on this record the guys are at their best playing off one another. I'll admit that it's Proggy and not very dancey but I hate doing that shit especially at live shows. I'm a grumpy old 24 year old that prefers to sit and just listen to guys with chops play their instruments.

I also think the shorter tracks are better than any of Battles previous "experimental" tracks. Cacio e Pepe is really lovely and has this guitar texture that gives me chills.

Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I think between the upped ante on production and sheer musicianship, it's their best record if you go back and listen to those wholly underrated EPS before Tyondai.

If you'd ask me to rate the album's tho I'd tell you to fuck off because it's fucking subjective and I still like all of them.
>>
>>65699525
im with you. saw them pay it live too
>>
>>65702791
what the fuck are you on about?
>>
>>65699525
This is almost exactly my opinion exactly. I really do believe there are two types of battles fans, ones who think gloss drop is the best (me), and those who prefer mirrored. It would seem 9 times out of 10, if you're on the mirrored end of the spectrum, you don't fuck with this album.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.